P1000 Clutches burnt up

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Honda dealer tried to sell me a three year maintenance agreement for over $ 2,000.00 , I bought a Honda service manual instead $ 100.00. Wish I would have bought the manual first, you can't believe how complicated the transmissions are, they have a zillion sensors, oil relief valves that make the transmission work and can lead to clutch failure. A motor cycle-----NO! This is a over engineered piece of crap. Keep it on the golf course and you'll be happy. I've got a 2016 Pioneer5 for sale with 365 miles on it for those of you who are happy with yours. PM me

Just out of curiosity, which Honda dealer in NWA do you take it to?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just out of curiosity, which Honda dealer in NWA do you take it to?
Heartland Honda, they've been great. It's Honda that I'm upset with. Honda no longer repairs the clutch issues with clutch plates, a whole clutch assembly, think they have problems? If they don't get it right , there going to get sick of seeing me every 365 miles, at least I won't have to pay for oil changes, HA

Reactions: QuadMan747 and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can you give more details?

Factory tires?

What type of terrain? Hills, mud, sand, flat?

What speed do you average? Really getting it or creeping along slowly?
Cruising dirt roads 25 mph to some really serous trails, very few I need 4 wd, just crawl. In low range. Yes factory tires. I don't think I will ever go above the 27 inch tire with these problems. And I have never loaded or pulled a trailer any where near the load capacity. I think Honda has a big problem.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Cruising dirt roads 25 mph to some really serous trails, very few I need 4 wd, just crawl. In low range. Yes factory tires. I don't think I will ever go above the 27 inch tire with these problems. And I have never loaded or pulled a trailer any where near the load capacity. I think Honda has a big problem.
I get it some times, mostly steep mountains with a lot of rocks

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to forum and I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you can get the dealer to resolve the issue.

As for the machine being a "piece of crap", I think otherwise. I'm running 30" tires and beat the crap out of it. YouTube is full of videos to prove it. It's been up mountains, thru mud that's seat deep and keeps pulling string. I've pulled trailers double the weight rating and it just keeps going.

I would say my experience is opposite of yours. After 1300+ miles, this thing has been flawless and stays true to every Honda I've ever owned. I tell you this so you can keep your faith in Honda, I believe it's just those select few machines out there having the issues.
I surely hope so. Do you run in mountains, I ride mostly at White Rock Mountain or local areas, not much mud unless you go looking for it, been there done that, got the tee shirt, in NWA Arkansas

H

HondaTech

Honda has never offered individual plates for the 1000. The clutch packs have a free clearance that has to bee within a set range, measured by inserting a feeler gauge between the top plate and the edge of the clutch basket. Each top plate has a number on it (1 through 5, I think) you have to select what end plate you need by how thick you need it to be to make the clearance measurement correct. The goldwing clutches have been like this since atleast the 1500 engine. They wont sell plates (for the P1K) for now because some techs out there aren't smart enough to figure that out(trust me I've come across some good ones), so they come
pre-assembled to the correct gap. The two clutches I've done have toasted the basket as well. It seems like they have this issue figured out, the 2 I did were very low VIN numbers. One was the #8 non-deluxe and I think the other #47 Deluxe off the line.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I surely hope so. Do you run in mountains, I ride mostly at White Rock Mountain or local areas, not much mud unless you go looking for it, been there done that, got the tee shirt, in NWA Arkansas

How's this for moving some weight around? These are old pics but I don't make a habit to take a pic every time I pull something.

9bfce42f55b2e6b4c6b9d68490e0d4ae

Ea9ae315c06e75a723b3d49aa7db894b

40ebef425fe80a8a9d5d0cf9e96bb792

Here's vids of where we ride.

We have a large group of pioneers that sometimes can get over a dozen. We busted tires, bent tubes, knocked skids off, broken rack and pinions, and been in mud so thick that the P1000 can't turn the 30" tires.

I'm aware that Honda has had some issues but I don't that it's a design issue after seeing us ride then pretty rough.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda has never offered individual plates for the 1000. The clutch packs have a free clearance that has to bee within a set range, measured by inserting a feeler gauge between the top plate and the edge of the clutch basket. Each top plate has a number on it (1 through 5, I think) you have to select what end plate you need by how thick you need it to be to make the clearance measurement correct. The goldwing clutches have been like this since atleast the 1500 engine. They wont sell plates (for the P1K) for now because some techs out there aren't smart enough to figure that out(trust me I've come across some good ones), so they come
pre-assembled to the correct gap. The two clutches I've done have toasted the basket as well. It seems like they have this issue figured out, the 2 I did were very low VIN numbers. One was the #8 non-deluxe and I think the other #47 Deluxe off the line.
I hope I can start using mine like you are. Why does the service go into so much detail about replacing the clutch plates if that's not what happens? How many units your dealership sold?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Iv'e got a 94 CR 250 w/ Henson clutch basket and plates w/ a ton of clutch slipping hours on it, basket and plates are in great shape, ride it in the woods also.

advertisement
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heartland Honda, they've been great. It's Honda that I'm upset with. Honda no longer repairs the clutch issues with clutch plates, a whole clutch assembly, think they have problems? If they don't get it right , there going to get sick of seeing me every 365 miles, at least I won't have to pay for oil changes, HA

My experience with them was the completely opposite. They wouldn't work with me whatsoever on the original price of the rig, and because I was a grad student at the U of A at the time I wanted to get my first service done up there after I had purchased from Honda of Russellville (great people) and they tried to charge me $500 plus tax for a simple check up and oil change. Went up the road to the dealer in Rogers and they charged me $180 for the exact same service. Wouldn't trust a word they say IMO. Makes sense why they would try to charge you so much for an extended warranty when an additional 3 year can be had for around $650.

I took my 1000-5 all throughout the rocky trails at both Buckhorn OHV and Mill Creek OHV with my heavy 30's while I lived in NWA and I have yet to have any problems. I think you've got one of the infected rigs from the factory, it happens.

Sounds like you need the gear reduction if you want to be crawling at such low speeds. If you do your research on here, you'll realize that the P1000 just doesn't like speeds below 2-3mph because the clutch isn't completely engaged the Honda DCT doesn't involve a torque converter within these systems, so it's all or nothing. I had a RZR 1000 Highlifter with the factory gear reduction before my Honda, and it is a completely different vehicle but I use my Honda much more often because it can do some much more than the RZR could. May not rock crawl or haul ass as well, but it fits my needs much better.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How's this for moving some weight around? These are old pics but I don't make a habit to take a pic every time I pull something.

View attachment 27443

View attachment 27444

View attachment 27445

We have a large group of pioneers that sometimes can get over a dozen. We busted tires, bent tubes, knocked skids off, broken rack and pinions, and been in mud so thick that the P1000 can't turn the 30" tires.

I'm aware that Honda has had some issues but I don't that it's a design issue after seeing us ride then pretty rough.
Get a set of Trail Armor skid plates and a arm guards and you will breathe easier, yea I busted a tire or two.

Reactions: JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My experience with them was the completely opposite. They wouldn't work with me whatsoever on the original price of the rig, and because I was a grad student at the U of A at the time I wanted to get my first service done up there after I had purchased from Honda of Russellville (great people) and they tried to charge me $500 plus tax for a simple check up and oil change. Went up the road to the dealer in Rogers and they charged me $180 for the exact same service. Wouldn't trust a word they say IMO. Makes sense why they would try to charge you so much for an extended warranty when an additional 3 year can be had for around $650.

I took my 1000-5 all throughout the rocky trails at both Buckhorn OHV and Mill Creek OHV with my heavy 30's while I lived in NWA and I have yet to have any problems. I think you've got one of the infected rigs from the factory, it happens.

Sounds like you need the gear reduction if you want to be crawling at such low speeds. If you do your research on here, you'll realize that the P1000 just doesn't like speeds below 2-3mph because the clutch isn't completely engaged the Honda DCT doesn't involve a torque converter within these systems, so it's all or nothing. I had a RZR 1000 Highlifter with the factory gear reduction before my Honda, and it is a completely different vehicle but I use my Honda much more often because it can do some much more than the RZR could. May not rock crawl or haul ass as well, but it fits my needs much better.
I really don't rock crawl much, the1000-5 likes to bobble up and down the trails, that's where it's happy. And it can haul butt, needs different front shocks in the front.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Get a set of Trail Armor skid plates and a arm guards and you will breathe easier, yea I busted a tire or two.

Oh yeah, I've had trail armor since it was new. And 8ply roctanes that haven't busted yet.

About the only damage I've had is torn CV boots and lost hub caps. I actually broke a Trail Armor skid in the middle of the belly. They replaced it no charge.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 27443

View attachment 27444

View attachment 27445

I hear a lot of clunking in your videos, you guy's are nuts for not running skid plates

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I hear a lot of clunking in your videos, you guy's are nuts for not running skid plates

Oh yeah, some guys are not and the underside takes a beating! Heck, my trail armor looks like it's been on a sxs for 10 years.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh yeah, I've had trail armor since it was new. And 8ply roctanes that haven't busted yet.

About the only damage I've had is torn CV boots and lost hub caps. I actually broke a Trail Armor skid in the middle of the belly. They replaced it no charge.
And Trail Armor says it cosmetic.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really don't rock crawl much, the1000-5 likes to bobble up and down the trails, that's where it's happy. And it can haul butt, needs different front shocks in the front.

New shocks all around are on my list eventually, as will be removing the rear sway bar, and the internal gear reduction. However, I remember it being extremely difficult to maintain a constant engine speed on a lot of the trails in NWA, so I would look into the Throttle Max, it really helps keep your heel from getting sore on longer rides and allows you to creep along over the rocky stuff.

throttlemaxx

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

New shocks all around are on my list eventually, as will be removing the rear sway bar, and the internal gear reduction. However, I remember it being extremely difficult to maintain a constant engine speed on a lot of the trails in NWA, so I would look into the Throttle Max, it really helps keep your heel from getting sore on longer rides and allows you to creep along over the rocky stuff.

throttlemaxx

You'll have a different machine!

advertisement