P1000 Clutches burnt up

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I needed to know! I'm indebted to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I double agree on the reverse gearing... if you are trying to back up a hill or out of the mud... don't play with it... get in it and HAMMER DOWN!llol I've monitored this clutch issue from the start, and my opinion is that most folks burn the clutch up in reverse.

cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
I double agree on the reverse gearing... if you are trying to back up a hill or out of the mud... don't play with it... get in it and HAMMER DOWN!llol I've monitored this clutch issue from the start, and my opinion is that most folks burn the clutch up in reverse.

I appreciate the help gentlemen!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
when you hammer down, it will either spin the tires or it will kill the engine... if it kills the engine, then you need a winch!

That right there is an awesome statement!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That right there is an awesome statement!

My 1000-5 has been in the shop for three days now, the service manager says they have to report to Honda every step before they take to next step????????????????

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My 1000-5 has been in the shop for three days now, the service manager says they have to report to Honda every step before they take to next step????????????????

Yes. If it's going to go through warranty Honda is in control and your dealer will be playing by their rules. There is a certain order they go through

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think thats how it happened to mine, was backing up a very steep hill for fire wood. So is this a utility S X S? Mine had 16 hours on it when I changed the oil, the oil is very dirty, I saved the oil because it was so dirty. I wonder if this is bad on the motor having all that clutch material floating around in the oil or does the engine oil filter keep the particles out of the motor?

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think thats how it happened to mine, was backing up a very steep hill for fire wood. So is this a utility S X S? Mine had 16 hours on it when I changed the oil, the oil is very dirty, I saved the oil because it was so dirty. I wonder if this is bad on the motor having all that clutch material floating around in the oil or does the engine oil filter keep the particles out of the motor?

It probably is what happened. They do have two separate filters one for trans and one motor. The oil obviously has the clutch fibers in it but usually first oil is a little dirty.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I run Honda oil in my log splitter for a year before I change it and it's not any where as dirty as the oil that came out of my 1000-5. And it has a Briggs & Stratton engine and I split around 30 ricks of wood a year.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It probably is what happened. They do have two separate filters one for trans and one motor. The oil obviously has the clutch fibers in it but usually first oil is a little dirty.

First oil change was real dirty, thats why I saved the oil.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So tell me how not to burn up clutches

First of all don't run super slow speeds like under 4-5 in low or probably 7-8 hi. Flat terrain isn't quite as dependent on that but still. Get on it when you take off it helps the clutches engage quickly and doesn't slip as much. Especially watch reverse, getting out of trouble like climbing a hill or mud in reverse you don't have low range and it's harder on the rig. Don't tug on something in reverse unless you have to. In reverse get harder on the throttle to get them to lock up if you baby it the clutches are slipping getting hot.
One other thing if you use lots of power like from winch let it build back up a bit, if it's low on power it doesn't shift correctly because of the electronic controls and it'll slip clutches

Excellent answer, CP.

As my signature line says... If you're working it, drive it like a tractor. If you want speed, drive it like a racecar. Keep the RPM's up. It likes it that way.

cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
Excellent answer, CP.

As my signature line says... If you're working it, drive it like a tractor. If you want speed, drive it like a racecar. Keep the RPM's up. It likes it that way.

I really appreciate this because I don't want to burn these clutches

advertisement