Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
New shocks all around are on my list eventually, as will be removing the rear sway bar, and the internal gear reduction. However, I remember it being extremely difficult to maintain a constant engine speed on a lot of the trails in NWA, so I would look into the Throttle Max, it really helps keep your heel from getting sore on longer rides and allows you to creep along over the rocky stuff.

throttlemaxx
Tell me more about Throttle Max and gear reduction .

Reactions: CumminsPusher
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tell me more about Throttle Max and gear reduction .

The gear reduction provides a 25% overall reduction in every drive mode and gears 1-6 without increasing your width or height like the ever-popular portal boxes do. So since I have 30" tires, I'll still even be geared lower than stock form on stock tires with the gear reduction and not have to worry about the clutches nearly as much. 32" tires would put you about equal with stock but most are much heavier than the stock 26's, so probably a little under stock power levels with those. It will reduce your overall top speed, but that doesn't really matter to me anyway. If you kept your stock tires, tt would be like you changed them out for 19-20" tires if my math is correct.

@Scooterchris can tell you more.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
The gear reduction provides a 25% overall reduction in every drive mode and gears 1-6 without increasing your width or height like the ever-popular portal boxes do. So since I have 30" tires, I'll still even be geared lower than stock form on stock tires with the gear reduction and not have to worry about the clutches nearly as much. 32" tires would put you about equal with stock but most are much heavier than the stock 26's, so probably a little under stock power levels with those. It will reduce your overall top speed, but that doesn't really matter to me anyway. If you kept your stock tires, tt would be like you changed them out for 19-20" tires if my math is correct.

@Scooterchris can tell you more.

25 percent on top of the 26 inch tall tire that comes stock on these machines (yes I know it says 27.) Is a 33. Now since we're taking some rotational mass off both the clutch and drive gear. Plus we rounded down on the actual percentage.
The p1k5 handled the 32's no problem
the test bike was running 32 inch outbacks at the end which measure a hair shy of 33 ran just like stock.

the IGR is gonna have better performance than your portal lift.

IGR 25 % vs portals 27.2%

IGR cuts weight off the drive gear and clutch. Allows to rev a little quicker.

portals add 200 plus pounds to your buggy, widens it, you have to go buy different rims if you're not running 0 offset already. And has alot more overall rotation mass.

A same setup portal lifted pioneer is a dog on 33's

Reactions: AKRider
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here are some videos just posted today that show the gear reduction and 32" tires.

The gear whine seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY louder than stock from this video.

I assume the new gear set is straight cut?

Seems to have very good pulling power though.

Reactions: Scooterchris
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They are straight cut from the factory as well I believe that's why they are as noisy as they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I use to like that wine on a gear drive small block Chevy, I wonder if you get used to it of it would drive you crazy on a 100 mile or so ride.

I agree with you with small blocks! Doesn't bother me anymore even if it were a little louder. At least you know what it is making the noise. Pioneers are still pretty quiet.

cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
I agree with you with small blocks! Doesn't bother me anymore even if it were a little louder. At least you know what it is making the noise. Pioneers are still pretty quiet.

Yes sir I agree!

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
All of the gears in the pioneer are straight cut.

the phone makes it significantly louder.
it's not much louder than stock.
now granite this is the test bike.
The IGR kits now are for sale are almost the same as stock.
we cut the gears down in width to be the same as stock. Less rotating mass=less noise

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So tell me how not to burn up clutches

First of all don't run super slow speeds like under 4-5 in low or probably 7-8 hi. Flat terrain isn't quite as dependent on that but still. Get on it when you take off it helps the clutches engage quickly and doesn't slip as much. Especially watch reverse, getting out of trouble like climbing a hill or mud in reverse you don't have low range and it's harder on the rig. Don't tug on something in reverse unless you have to. In reverse get harder on the throttle to get them to lock up if you baby it the clutches are slipping getting hot.
One other thing if you use lots of power like from winch let it build back up a bit, if it's low on power it doesn't shift correctly because of the electronic controls and it'll slip clutches

Last edited:
cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
First of all don't run super slow speeds like under 4-5 in low or probably 7-8 hi. Get on it when you take off it helps the clutches engage quickly and doesn't slip as much. But especially watch reverse, getting out of trouble like climbing a hill or mud in reverse you don't have low range and it's harder on the rig. Don't tug on something in reverse unless you have to. In reverse get harder on the throttle to get them to lock up if you baby it the clutches are slipping getting hot.

That's what I needed to know! I'm indebted to you!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's what I needed to know! I'm indebted to you!

not really we're all here to learn and pass on information and you learned me something earlier and that's what it's all about.

advertisement