Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm curious what oil are you running? Have you had any times where you had to use reverse hard?

Sent from iPhone

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate to give an opinion on cause,,,but I would think the first weak link might be the dealer. I know when I had my problems the first dealer I went to did not fix a thing. They were quick to bad mouth the dealer the machine came from. I am lucky in that I live where there are several dealers within 60 miles from my home. The second dealer listened carefully to the problem and addressed the issues rather than trying to place blame. Problem was fixed and in less time.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes, reverse is toooooooo high! We need a lower option I thought i would never need to worry about it but if your going to use it full spectrum it needs to drop some.
Most people I've talked to burned it up in reverse in a heavy situation. You get in deep with low and have to come out. I truly believe this is a problem. I know it's not the politically correct thing to say here but I'll always be as honest as possible, it needed a low reverse. Many argue but be careful in reverse or high gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: BULLDOG6 and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most people I've talked to burned it up in reverse in a heavy situation. You get in deep with low and have to come out. I truly believe this is a problem. I know it's not the politically correct thing to say here but I'll always be as honest as possible, it needed a low reverse. Many argue but be careful in reverse or high gear.
Totally agree. If you get hung up and need to back out, nail that sucker. You ain't gotta bounce it off the rev limiter but don't kitty foot around.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Absolutely agreed! Get it too lock up!

Sent from iPhone

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im am no mudder but that is what we needed to do to back out of my first water hole recently. Tip toed in until water came in under doors. Then went to back out and reverse gearing could not pull it's own weight with 5 passengers so I punched it down and lurched right out.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Dasmoeturhead

With all this talk about burnt clutches and whatnot, yesterday I had a clutch problem. I was in low and in turf mode going up our steep ass rock/gravel driveway going about 6 mph, and the rpms were at 4,000. I thought dang! My clutch is slipping. To my relief it wasn't the clutches at all. I was just spinning the tires. Whew! Thought I was going to be another statistic.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Dgardner hope this helps.dont be too scared but there have been a couple issues.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the ride. Get out and enjoy the beast

Last edited:
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
New here. Don't really have a reply. But I bought a new 2016 1000-5 back in Sept 16, the heat/steam flash was/is dangerous even after the heat shield was installed. I still won't let anyone set in the middle seat, if there are water puddle crossings. Now at 365 miles the clutch is out. I would guess 350 miles of it were in low range. My Honda dealer told me today the clutch failures are becoming more common, they now stock two clutch assemblies for the 1000's.Honda hasn't responded to the issues. I wonder what has happened to Honda Corp? Did I make a big mistake buying a Honda. The 2017's have a even more complicated transmission??????????????
I am very disappointed with my 1000-5. I'm trying not to rail here but I paid more money for this than I paid for my wife's new Chevy Sonic and have had 0 issues at 45,000 miles.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My Honda dealer tried to sell me a three year maintenance agreement for over $ 2,000.00 , I bought a Honda service manual instead $ 100.00. Wish I would have bought the manual first, you can't believe how complicated the transmissions are, they have a zillion sensors, oil relief valves that make the transmission work and can lead to clutch failure. A motor cycle-----NO! This is a over engineered piece of crap. Keep it on the golf course and you'll be happy. I've got a 2016 Pioneer5 for sale with 365 miles on it for those of you who are happy with yours. PM me

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Should have bought the Beta 300 that I was looking at, for now I'll just dust off my ole Honda 94 CR 250 w/ Paoli forks and go for a trouble free ride in the woods.

Reactions: Hawk53
D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
Well someone was bound to do it, it may as well been me. My biggest complaint about the pioneer has been too high gearing especially in reverse. Well, I was right. Last night while trying to back up a pretty tall hill to keep from going through a deep mud hole, I burnt the clutches. It was lugging, and I tried not to let it but I can't back up going 15 mph through woods. Now it takes alot of rpms to get to move and it wont shift and if it tries slips back and forth through the gears. I guess it's a good thing the 31" outlaws wouldn't fit. It can't even handle 27s with 3 people and an icechest.
I just picked up my 1000 5 deluxe. the dealer replaced the clutch. mine was burnt up , I always used low range . I found reverse geared way to high . I am told the clutch is very small and can only hope honda comes up with a fix before the warranty is up. I think I will buy the extended warranty . I truly love the machine so I am hoping someone has a fix soon

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My Honda dealer tried to sell me a three year maintenance agreement for over $ 2,000.00 , I bought a Honda service manual instead $ 100.00. Wish I would have bought the manual first, you can't believe how complicated the transmissions are, they have a zillion sensors, oil relief valves that make the transmission work and can lead to clutch failure. A motor cycle-----NO! This is a over engineered piece of crap. Keep it on the golf course and you'll be happy. I've got a 2016 Pioneer5 for sale with 365 miles on it for those of you who are happy with yours. PM me

Welcome to forum and I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you can get the dealer to resolve the issue.

As for the machine being a "piece of crap", I think otherwise. I'm running 30" tires and beat the crap out of it. YouTube is full of videos to prove it. It's been up mountains, thru mud that's seat deep and keeps pulling string. I've pulled trailers double the weight rating and it just keeps going.

I would say my experience is opposite of yours. After 1300+ miles, this thing has been flawless and stays true to every Honda I've ever owned. I tell you this so you can keep your faith in Honda, I believe it's just those select few machines out there having the issues.

J

JTW

Believe me.. I understand your frustration and I'm no fan boy.. but there are a whole lot of guys here that are far from keeping them on a golf course and ride them hard... harder than I would yet they aren't having problems.. I just got mine so I can't speak to how it will hold up. But there has got to be something more to this issue you're having.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
New here. Don't really have a reply. But I bought a new 2016 1000-5 back in Sept 16, the heat/steam flash was/is dangerous even after the heat shield was installed. I still won't let anyone set in the middle seat, if there are water puddle crossings. Now at 365 miles the clutch is out. I would guess 350 miles of it were in low range. My Honda dealer told me today the clutch failures are becoming more common, they now stock two clutch assemblies for the 1000's.Honda hasn't responded to the issues. I wonder what has happened to Honda Corp? Did I make a big mistake buying a Honda. The 2017's have a even more complicated transmission??????????????
I am very disappointed with my 1000-5. I'm trying not to rail here but I paid more money for this than I paid for my wife's new Chevy Sonic and have had 0 issues at 45,000 miles.

Can you give more details?

Factory tires?

What type of terrain? Hills, mud, sand, flat?

What speed do you average? Really getting it or creeping along slowly?

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it's luck of the draw at this point. I am like @joeymt33 and run pretty heavy 30's and I don't baby it. Hauled 3000-4000lb trailers with it up and down hill from a stop. Sometimes it shudders a bit, but until it fails completely I am gunna run the hell out of it. I truly think it shudders less with the 30's now in both forward and reverse as it used to when I first bought it.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
after a year of running 30's mine is finally starting to slip. i'll be looking at the internal 25% gear reduction in the near future.

That sucks. :(

What type of riding did you do mostly? Slow and easy...? :p

Did you do mudding or rock crawling or field roads?

Hope Honda warranties it.

advertisement