H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Crow I've been thinking about your use and think you should try a set of 25" tires or even the 24's off a pioneer 500. The non deluxe models have 12 inch wheels. I bet the super low gearing will help a lot for your low speed use and the slight loss of ground clearance may not be a problem. There are a lot of take off tires and 12 inch P1000 wheels. Sure hate to see you take a loss on a trade in but the next choice would be the 700.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Crow I've been thinking about your use and think you should try a set of 25" tires or even the 24's off a pioneer 500. The non deluxe models have 12 inch wheels. I bet the super low gearing will help a lot for your low speed use and the slight loss of ground clearance may not be a problem. There are a lot of take off tires and 12 inch P1000 wheels. Sure hate to see you take a loss on a trade in but the next choice would be the 700.

Thanks Bob.

Looking back, I probably should have either waited until tomorrow to make my final decision or went with the P700. We will see what tomorrow brings and maybe I go and test drive a P700 next weekend.;)

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know everyone's experience is different on these things but I have to admit mine is turning into what I hoped for. AT mode has gotten quite smooth and MT mode is silky smooth on the shifts. I had my initial service at 114 miles and now have about 170 miles and every ride is smoother than the last and I have yet to experience any slipping or shuddering in High or Low range or AT or MT mode. This SXS is definitely the quietest of any on the market. I am beginning to think some people are too smart to own one of the things. Lol. If Honda figures out the heat thing this one is a winner. A lower first and reverse gear would be icing on the cake.

Reactions: JTW and DRAGFOOT
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know everyone's experience is different on these things but I have to admit mine is turning into what I hoped for. AT mode has gotten quite smooth and MT mode is silky smooth on the shifts. I had my initial service at 114 miles and now have about 170 miles and every ride is smoother than the last and I have yet to experience any slipping or shuddering in High or Low range or AT or MT mode. This SXS is definitely the quietest of any on the market. I am beginning to think some people are too smart to own one of the things. Lol. If Honda figures out the heat thing this one is a winner. A lower first and reverse gear would be icing on the cake.

I agree with you 100%. I feel some pulsatile vibrations when I start off in a real bind, like up a steep hill where I have my left foot on the brake and right on the gas, but I think that is just the nature of the beast with a DCT. Whether that is clutch slippage or not, I do not know - but in the same circumstances a belt drive machine is doing more damage/wear even though it may do it smoother. When I bought mine, I was reading this thread daily, but then decided to go ahead and take the dive - it comes with a 1-year warranty so certainly if there were any major issues Honda would take care of it. Not a single problem in almost 500 miles now, and everything keeps getting quieter and smoother like most others report. When you've got guys like Delton and Joey (and others I'm sure) rock climbing pretty regularly without issue, that says alot to me. It also says that the few that did have problems were assembly issues. All the problem units were pretty much reported during the slow season and we have blasted through into the peak I'm sure with pretty much no more reports - that is astounding IMO. I am hoping in the upcoming years that Honda has the heat problem eliminated and that they go to a helical rear gear set to reduce that noise (Kawi teryx did this for 2016). With those 2 improvements, and possibly lower 1st and reverse, and optional suspension upgrades, I don't think anyone could touch the P1K in the 1000cc sport utility category.

Waylan

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I have read through this and read some of your comments.

Does your machine still not shudder on hills since the clutch replacement?

Reason I ask is I have similar results to JMRubicon. I get some shudder/judder when starting off from a dead stop on an incline. Even stomping it down enough to give my wife whiplash still results in an instant of shudder. I applied enough throttle to get the machine to shift into 2nd before I had moved a car length and it still shuddered.

Do I need to complain to the dealer and get something started on warranty?

I got the impression from this and some of your other comments later in this thread that after your repair that if it was shuddering, there is something wrong.

I don't think I can supply enough throttle to prevent shudder and still keep the front wheels on the ground. It doesn't shudder at all if I have some momentum on the same hill.

I have not noticed any shudder, at least nothing like before the clutch packs were replaced. Sine being repaired I have put about 300 miles on it and it seems as strong as anyone could ask for. Lately have been clearing trees and brush and have had no problems with the P1K dragging full size tree trunks across my property of taking off heavily loaded uphill.

One thing to consider is how much have you driven your machine and is it around full operating temperature when you are experiencing what you describe. It is my humble opinion people should put 400 miles on the machine to let everything get fully broken in before passing judgement. Of course a few dozen never got that far before having noticeable issues arise.

My advice would be to drive and enjoy the machine driving normal rather then repeatedly trying to pick apart a characteristic that may not be an issue or go away all together. If you do experience clutch issues you will not have to be asking for others opinions online you will know it by the engine RPM spikes of 2k or more on takeoff and 3rd, and 5th gear shifting.

Bronson

Bronson

Aug 10, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. Bought a p1000-5 about 2 months ago rode it twice and started having clutch issues R-1-3-5 slipping horribly will barely move . Read a few things on here but have yet to see anybody mention that they are having the slipping issue in Reverse . Ive seen quite a few about 1-3-5 gears , but no reverse issues. So question is, anyone having the reverse slip problem also?

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. Bought a p1000-5 about 2 months ago rode it twice and started having clutch issues R-1-3-5 slipping horribly will barely move . Read a few things on here but have yet to see anybody mention that they are having the slipping issue in Reverse . Ive seen quite a few about 1-3-5 gears , but no reverse issues. So question is, anyone having the reverse slip problem also?
Mine was. The subtransmission controls high, low and reverse. So the trans has a primary clutch that handles reverse,1, 3, and 5. The secondary handles 2, 4, and 6. The subtransmission basically acts like a transfer case.

Bronson

Bronson

Aug 10, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did Honda warranty it or did they deny it ? If so is it easy to replace clutch pack?
Thanks
Mine was. The subtransmission controls high, low and reverse. So the trans has a primary clutch that handles reverse,1, 3, and 5. The secondary handles 2, 4, and 6. The subtransmission basically acts like a transfer case.

Bronson

Bronson

Aug 10, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think Honda has denied any clutch replacements. And the clutch issue is a very small percentage of machines...
Well that's good to hear, but sad at the same time to be a 2 month old machine with only 2 rides on it . Just hoping it will be covered and no BS from the dealership just trying to make more money!

advertisement
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many miles did you have on it and what were the conditions surrounding it slipping?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

Reactions: JTW
jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
My replacement clutches (1,3,5,R) are slipping bad. Has anyone had a second set replaced? Is Honda still willing to replace under warranty the second set. I know for a fact this was not operator error. I manually shifted and drove exactly as directed by the head mechanic.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Mine has been rock solid since repairs over 700 miles ago. I haven't been easy on it either.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The set I personally replaced are holding strong at 300. Watch reverse I think that's where most of this is coming from.

Sent from iPhone

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My replacement clutches (1,3,5,R) are slipping bad. Has anyone had a second set replaced? Is Honda still willing to replace under warranty the second set. I know for a fact this was not operator error. I manually shifted and drove exactly as directed by the head mechanic.
that sucks man. you are the first (maybe second) that I've heard of with a repeat failure. if you take it to the dealer, let us know whether they cover it or not.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hopefully they take care of you again. Just don't add a third row and you should be fine lmfao!

Sent from iPhone

advertisement