P1000 Clutches burnt up

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Is this just a hunch of yours? How many hours did you put on yours before you got rid of it EVEN THOUGH you didn't have any problems? How do you justify jumping from one first year model to another first year model?

I hate to be this way, but there are a handful of members here that I'd put money on that are paid by CanAm, Polaris, etc., just to try and magnify issues on competitors' forums. I don't care for backseat drivers, armchair quarterbacks, or trolls. And I don't care for fanboys that are over the top either; Honda makes some good stuff and they miss the mark sometimes too.

Off rant.
I have three Hondas one can am and a Suzuki, so I guess I qualify as a fan boy. I wish one of them would pay me. .So I guess it is a hunch as you say on the pioneer. Like I said I hope no one else has problems. Besides you. As for armchair quarterbacks, ive been riding since my first new Big red 250 that I bought brand new. You sound like the one that's paid by Honda. I will now leave this forum just for you. I stayed on it because I enjoyed the majority of the guys that talked about riding and issues they had with their machines. Plus, like I said I own two Hondas now and have had several in the past. I will get rid of my new one if it starts acting stupid. Rant all you want.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  1. Image
    I hope all this bad juju bypasses me. My son and daughter in law are delivering the most awesome gift ever to us this Saturday.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It will @Jbird.
Nice ride by the way...

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

C

Catfish

May 23, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-2
  1. View attachment 15803 I hope all this bad juju bypasses me. My son and daughter in law are delivering the most awesome gift ever to us this Saturday.
Congrats!! Hope all goes well with the delivery... Hate to here bout the p1000 issues maybe they will get all bugs worked out.. It sure looks good

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have three Hondas one can am and a Suzuki, so I guess I qualify as a fan boy. I wish one of them would pay me. .So I guess it is a hunch as you say on the pioneer. Like I said I hope no one else has problems. Besides you. As for armchair quarterbacks, ive been riding since my first new Big red 250 that I bought brand new. You sound like the one that's paid by Honda. I will now leave this forum just for you. I stayed on it because I enjoyed the majority of the guys that talked about riding and issues they had with their machines. Plus, like I said I own two Hondas now and have had several in the past. I will get rid of my new one if it starts acting stupid. Rant all you want.

Wow. I've seen some really good exchanges, with some ribbing and jabs. Everyone lived to see another day. The butt hurt is strong with this one.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow. I've seen some really good exchanges, with some ribbing and jabs. Everyone lived to see another day. The butt hurt is strong with this one.

Thats something someone would say if they were paid by honda.......

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats something someone would say if they were paid by honda.......

LOL... I wish they were paying me, or at least my dealer should be with the crap I've gone through with them.

H

HondaTech

Some insight from a tech in the middle of dealing with this issue atm.
Customers unit Serial # 4000047 149 miles.
Customer complained of burnt smell and wouldnt shift after first service. I preformed the first service myself, so I know it wasnt a service issue. Our dealer support was very adament about checking engine and frame grounds,which were all tight on this unit. ECM had 8 codes stored mostly dealing with high voltage to EOP (enigne oil pressure) sensors. After removing codes, reseting ecm and initializing clutch the unit was still sipping shifting from 2-3 and 4-5. Which narrowed it to one clutch pack, pulled the clutch pack today and the number 2 (1-3-5) clutch was toast. One friction disk was as smooth as a drive plate. The other number 1 (2-4-6) clutch was perfect. The only thing we can come up with is that while doing the 1st service we installed a stereo and had the ground unhooked to install a ground for it. We (not the support guys) seem to think the computer reset itself and lost it's clutch memory. I had DCT NC700X do something similar, it locked itself in a certain gear and wouldnt shift. Customer had left battery out during winter storage. It too needed a re initialization to reset the clutch.

Dealer support wasn't surprised by my findings. On the worse side, everything but two orings is on back order, clutches till the 29th of May and orings/gaskets till the 2nd week of next month.

Hopefully not many of these come up as it could lead to a huge back up of parts on B.O and pissed off customers. The actual procedure to replace the clutch is simple. This was my first one and it took about an hour to get it out. That includes removing the bed, draining coolant/oil and all the plastic in the rear to get to the engine.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Update on mine: After a long stay in the dealership I got mine back today with new 1,3,5 Clutch pack. I have a trip planned for this weekend and plan to log at least 100 miles of trails. I pray it holds up. Mechanic encouraged me to only use paddle shifters and low range while on the trails...I asked him if auto was only for hwy riding, he said, well I guess it'll be back next week. That's not encouraging at all.
Note my buddy got his back at exactly the same time and we are riding this weekend at Muddy Joes. Hope to see some of you out there.

advertisement
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update on mine: After a long stay in the dealership I got mine back today with new 1,3,5 Clutch pack. I have a trip planned for this weekend and plan to log at least 100 miles of trails. I pray it holds up. Mechanic encouraged me to only use paddle shifters and low range while on the trails...I asked him if auto was only for hwy riding, he said, well I guess it'll be back next week. That's not encouraging at all.
Note my buddy got his back at exactly the same time and we are riding this weekend at Muddy Joes. Hope to see some of you out there.
That mechanic doesn't sound too bright IMHO.

Reactions: CashMoney
H

HondaTech

That mechanic doesn't sound too bright IMHO.
Not too many bike mechanics are.

I don't think this will be a common problem. We've got a customer who traded in a Big Red with over 20000 miles on it for a 3 seater. At last check he had over 600 miles on the unit, only came back because the overflow tank bolts came loose. He used his Big Red to pull a loaded cattle trailer. I'm assuming he's doing the same with the 1000, so if anybody is stressing this thing he'll be the one to tear something up. Also has a 450 foreman with 18000 miles. He doesn't walk anywhere.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
That tech is an idiot if he's telling you that. I rode mine pretty much exclusively in high at the forum ride at Royal Blue. Only low for a couple climbs and the slow speed (~2mph) river run we did. I never got so much as a shudder.

bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what should we do when installing radio and lights? After hooking it up reset the clutch?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So what should we do when installing radio and lights? After hooking it up reset the clutch?
No. None of us should. If this is going to be a problem we should all do our damn best to force honda to warranty our rigs until they decide to fix the problem. You should not have to do anything when you unhook a battery. I didn't buy a honda to do a bunch of special crap so I don't break stuff. My only maintanance shiuld be changing oil and other light wear and tear objects such as joints axles and tie rods. If polaris is less prone to breaking then that's a very very sad day for honda.

Honestly I think this guy is just one of the lemons. I've unhooked my ground already about a hundred miles ago. Guess I'll let you know in a few hundred miles what's happened.

Reactions: AKRider
bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's refreshing to hear seeing haven't even started on all the electrical stuff yet!

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He didn't need to be a smart ass, but I would tend to agree with him about low when on trails where you don't want to go more than 25 or 30, and tend to run mostly around 10 or 15mph. I prefer to run low/manual because we (me and Pete) don't always agree on when the shifting needs to occur. I'll run high/manual on gravel roads and other smooth tread where speeds are consistently 20 and above.

Reactions: CashMoney
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've Un hooked mine 3 times no issue
yeah, I've had mine unhooked plenty with no issues. IF it was due to some clutch amnesia, I'd guess it happened during the diagnostics and not due to the battery being unhooked.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
He didn't need to be a smart ass, but I would tend to agree with him about low when on trails where you don't want to go more than 25 or 30, and tend to run mostly around 10 or 15mph. I prefer to run low/manual because we (me and Pete) don't always agree on when the shifting needs to occur. I'll run high/manual on gravel roads and other smooth tread where speeds are consistently 20 and above.
Thanks for the feedback. Pretty much how I run mine as well. I was doing some weed spraying on 25 acres. Stop and go all day. LOW, M in 1st gear. Clutch got quite a workout but doesn't show signs of slipping.

Reactions: PioneerPete
advertisement