Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For what it is worth, I had a little shudder when I would take off in 1st hi range. But I ran the piss out of it trail riding last weekend. I changed my oil with 130 miles and looked like new. Put the 10w40 honda oil in and zero shudder now taking off in hi I even pulled into my trailer in hi and yep perfect.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
OK know I'm pissed just blow my 2nd set of clutches and all I did is back out of a whole I didn't won't to go through!!! I wasted my hard earned money on this Honda!!

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK know I'm pissed just blow my 2nd set of clutches and all I did is back out of a whole I didn't won't to go through!!! I wasted my hard earned money on this Honda!!
Dammit. There are several others with the second set going out. Not that it helps.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Name the "several others" first time I've heard that.
Id know that names off hand. I've seen 2 besides his for sure. One on FB just picked his up from second repair and I've ran across another.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put about as much faith in Facebook as Obama supporting the military.
Lol yeah one of them on FB is accually on this forum and I thought I seen hem report it here as well.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Name the "several others" first time I've heard that.
This is the first I've heard of a "repeat" failure when clutches were replaced. The only other "second" failure was when they only reprogrammed the clutch the first time, then it totally failed a little later.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
in the shop again for the second clutch... wasn't even riding it hard... yay
The 1st guy I seen with the 2nd clutch concerns was @mikegzales[/USER] on page 53. What is going on with your second clutch replacement? Mine starting acting up again last night. This time I know when it happened.

Reactions: PioneerPete
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Man, sorry to hear that. that's got to be frustrating.

I don't know the whole story behind your trouble but I do have some questions.

what caused the clutches to fail? if my clutches failed, I would ask the dealer what caused this problem. I don't think its a clutch material issue because there would be more failures, so what part actually failed?

did they just replace the clutches? there's got to be something that caused it. that would be like replacing tires every 10k on my truck because the alignment is off. they need to find the issue instead of just replacing the clutches.

I'm the service manager for a vaccination technology company and I always track issues and failure rates. we look for the root cause and correct it because we have competitors that we could loose business to if we stay stagnant. I would think the service guys at the dealership would do the same, or I would demand it from them. if you decide to keep the vehicle, I would ask for an extended warranty at their cost!

joe

Reactions: itsleo
advertisement
itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Man, sorry to hear that. that's got to be frustrating.

I don't know the whole story behind your trouble but I do have some questions.

what caused the clutches to fail? if my clutches failed, I would ask the dealer what caused this problem. I don't think its a clutch material issue because there would be more failures, so what part actually failed?

did they just replace the clutches? there's got to be something that caused it. that would be like replacing tires every 10k on my truck because the alignment is off. they need to find the issue instead of just replacing the clutches.

I'm the service manager for a vaccination technology company and I always track issues and failure rates. we look for the root cause and correct it because we have competitors that we could loose business to if we stay stagnant. I would think the service guys at the dealership would do the same, or I would demand it from them. if you decide to keep the vehicle, I would ask for an extended warranty at their cost!

joe
Well Joe... the last time my clutches went out I had family members out with me and was having way to much fun and don't know what happened or when it happened. I just knew on my way back home things were not right. So took it to the dealer and a bunch of diagnosing and testing for 2 months they said they replaced both of my clutches and showed me a burnt up clutch drum.

So we have had some rain here in Florida and thought my son and I would go play around last night. I went to cross through a canal that we go though all the time and quickly realized the water was WAY higher then I wanted and decided to back out. When I started backing up my rear tires broke free so I put it in 4 wheel and started climbing up and that's when I felt the clutches slip not my tires and the RPM's go up. I know then that something bad had happened. Got back up on level ground.. stop gave it some gas and it revs up before moving. Put it into forward gear and revs up starts moving and slides into 3rd & 5th gear just like it did before I had my 1st set of clutches replace. I was not beating on my SXS when I was backing up just trying to get back up the 12' hill to level ground.

Reactions: Stauvo and joeymt33
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
itsleo The reverse gear is a bit higher. Its best to winch it out and save your clutch especially if you have large tires. You may have another bad clutch but you should know if you were slipping it too much. One of the guys traded his P1000 in on a Defender. The Can-Am and Polaris Ranger both have the belt hooked up at 1/2 mph. On those the belt is the clutch. Belt drives with a wet clutch and the P1000 need about 3 mph going forward and on the Honda probably 4 mph in reverse. Its way better to slip the wheels and keep the rpm above 2000 rpm. Hope they get yours fixed again and in a few days not a month or more. Let us know how it goes. My P1000-3 has over 2,000 miles and I just put on 66 miles on my new P1000-5.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
So, participated In race here in Kodiak today called the Ididarock. Mx, ATV and SxS through some really nasty terrain. Got sunk so bad took 3 winches to get me out nasty! Came across a guy in a P1k-5. Starts fine, shift indication fine, but hit the gas, no Movement. Manual shift per the manual not effective either. Any idea what it could be besides th clutches being totally grenaded? Unfortunately theres no way a rig was gonna tow him through without damage to their own vehicle. So it's stuck way out in the middle of nowhere. Like require sling load from a helicopter and or a landing craft if he can get dragged to the beach...

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I'm not sure what is involved in a clutch field repair , but finding the the part could be another issue as they have been on backorder. The 1st and 2nd gear clutch is different, has he tried to get it moving in 2nd gear? I'm sure someone here could give some better advice as I don't think one has been totally stranded even with clutch gone.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, participated In race here in Kodiak today called the Ididarock. Mx, ATV and SxS through some really nasty terrain. Got sunk so bad took 3 winches to get me out nasty! Came across a guy in a P1k-5. Starts fine, shift indication fine, but hit the gas, no Movement. Manual shift per the manual not effective either. Any idea what it could be besides th clutches being totally grenaded? Unfortunately theres no way a rig was gonna tow him through without damage to their own vehicle. So it's stuck way out in the middle of nowhere. Like require sling load from a helicopter and or a landing craft if he can get dragged to the beach...
Only think I would Sugguest is there is a section in the manual that tells you how to shift the machine with a wrench at the transmission. Make the shift solonoid is not working. The normal clutch issues that Everyone has had never has affected full movement. There is the ground issues that do although. There are two grounds on the engine. That I would remove clean and put back on also. I will post pic of ground location.

Reactions: joeymt33
itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
itsleo The reverse gear is a bit higher. Its best to winch it out and save your clutch especially if you have large tires. You may have another bad clutch but you should know if you were slipping it too much. One of the guys traded his P1000 in on a Defender. The Can-Am and Polaris Ranger both have the belt hooked up at 1/2 mph. On those the belt is the clutch. Belt drives with a wet clutch and the P1000 need about 3 mph going forward and on the Honda probably 4 mph in reverse. Its way better to slip the wheels and keep the rpm above 2000 rpm. Hope they get yours fixed again and in a few days not a month or more. Let us know how it goes. My P1000-3 has over 2,000 miles and I just put on 66 miles on my new P1000-5.
Will I have no clue what happened... but when my clutch was acting up I drove it back to my trailer roughly 5 miles with my SXS delayed engagement on taking off, 3nd, and 5th gear all the way back. the next day I took it off my trailer in reverse and it was delayed engagement coming off the trailer. I washed it off took it for a ride and drive normal. Woke up this morning took it for about 20 mile ride seems to be ok.

I was running in low range most of the night and going through some mud puddles most of the night. I should've said screw it and went through that canal, but I watch my buddy go through it and it looked like he almost rolled his SXS. That didn't look safe for me and my son so I backed out.
I did put 28" tires on it after they did my clutch but I don't feel the tires are too big.
I'm going to keep riding it and see what happens. If the clutches are my biggest problem that isn't a big deal. This is the only problem I've had.

Reactions: PioneerPete
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will I have no clue what happened... but when my clutch was acting up I drove it back to my trailer roughly 5 miles with my SXS delayed engagement on taking off, 3nd, and 5th gear all the way back. the next day I took it off my trailer in reverse and it was delayed engagement coming off the trailer. I washed it off took it for a ride and drive normal. Woke up this morning took it for about 20 mile ride seems to be ok.

I was running in low range most of the night and going through some mud puddles most of the night. I should've said screw it and went through that canal, but I watch my buddy go through it and it looked like he almost rolled his SXS. That didn't look safe for me and my son so I backed out.
I did put 28" tires on it after they did my clutch but I don't feel the tires are too big.
I'm going to keep riding it and see what happens. If the clutches are my biggest problem that isn't a big deal. This is the only problem I've had.
I had the exact same thing happen to me. Slipped for day and a half. About 40-50 miles of riding bring it home. I noticed as soon as I backed it off trailer wasn't slipping anymore. It slipped from 50 to 100 miles I'm at 300 now hasn't slipped since. I seem to think its electrical possibly a ground causing the slipping and leading to burnt clutch. If it was mechanical why would it just stop. When I had the problems I put Elec grease on all my connections and both engine grounds.

Reactions: dotman1 and itsleo
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
It is possible he may have bent the shifting fork(s) and it is not engaging into H, L, or R, thus it is essentially jammed in N. I had bent mine where it would not go into Low Range but would still go in High, it was repaired with the clutches.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is possible he may have bent the shifting fork(s) and it is not engaging into H, L, or R, thus it is essentially jammed in N. I had bent mine where it would not go into Low Range but would still go in High, it was repaired with the clutches.
How does this get bent?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
How does this get bent?
Well in my particular case I had bent my tie rod a little then when trying to nurse it back to camp finished bending it into a 45 degree angle on a 40% incline, I had just started down the 1000' hill and within the first 30 feet hit a rut & rock in an unavoidable spot. The machine was pointing downhill with pressure on the parking pawl and in the process of two other P1K's trying to get me back up that 30 ft. I had no choice but to shift from L to R and something must have gotten tweaked due to the pressure on the shifting fork. Mind you this was a very peculiar situation and no one would normally stop on that type of incline but there was no way of getting down those switchbacks with one wheel pointing off full lock in one direction or the other while one was straight. This too was in snow and ice at the end of Jan which did not help matters at all. It was just one of those things that happens when riding in the mountains.
20160206 145200

advertisement