P1000 Clutches burnt up

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the reason i taked about honda not covering problems that arise ive been down the road with outer companies oh your tie rods went out in 1500 miles you are not driving it rite bull s*** your not build it rite oh didnt we tell you the rings are only suppost to last for 2500 miles wear item i could go on and on but that my complant after spending after spending 15000--25000 for a sxs they are dezigned to wear 1500 miles i bought honda hoping for better quailty than what we been getting ill get off of my stoul i am hoping for a long and good ride

You got 1500 miles out of some Polaris tie rod ends? Wow, that's got to be some sort of record, lol. I'm sort of joking but serious at the same time. I'm not here to run down Polaris - I've had 3 of their atvs with really only having to replace stuff like tie rod ends, ball joints, brake pads, starter solenoids. Replacing this sort of stuff doesn't REALLY bother me, but it would be nice if tie rod ends and ball joints lasted longer - and I expect Honda's steering components to last much longer.

Waylan

J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
waylan you are right on polaris junk i could tell you alot stories a have had in 10 years of retirement about recovery being pulled back to camp i am hoping for some quailty to be built into these sxs and i dont mind pay for it and i think we are but not getting it$$$$$$

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking back on myself starting on posts 31, 33 and beyond, I was expressing fear of being hosed by Honda for a machine I did not have yet.

I have had a blast since bringing it home last Saturday. The Engine sounds so cool and the transmission is so unique, smooth, quiet. You have to experience it to know! Let me repeat that "You have to experience it to know" It engine breaks and down shifts like manual clutch coasting up to stop signs so you can take it easy on the breaks. This Honda P-1000 engine and tranny really kicks ass! I'm not worried about it breaking now with all the support from Hondasxs members and knowing Honda is taking care of confirmed cases. I also picked up the 3 year warranty to give even more peace of mind. I am up to 40 miles now and carefully breaking it in.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm in full agreement with you @Stauvo. I'm glad you still chose "the dark side" happy you're enjoying it I know you were on the fence just a little but Honda is a great company.

Reactions: itsleo and Stauvo
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking back on myself starting on posts 31, 33 and beyond, I was expressing fear of being hosed by Honda for a machine I did not have yet.

I have had a blast since bringing it home last Saturday. The Engine sounds so cool and the transmission is so unique, smooth, quiet. You have to experience it to know! Let me repeat that "You have to experience it to know" It engine breaks and down shifts like manual clutch coasting up to stop signs so you can take it easy on the breaks. This Honda P-1000 engine and tranny really kicks ass! I'm not worried about it breaking now with all the support from Hondasxs members and knowing Honda is taking care of confirmed cases. I also picked up the 3 year warranty to give even more peace of mind. I am up to 40 miles now and carefully breaking it in.
yep, I remember talking you down off the ledge back there... :D
glad to hear you are enjoying it!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Just asking because I didn't see it specified. Are you trail riding in Low Range or High Range? & have you change the oil yet (not sure how long you have had it) if so did you use full synthetic? I recommend only Low range for all tail riding under 30 MPH. It will not shudder nearly as much if you don't pussyfoot around with the throttle give it enough pedal to get moving (without giving everyone whiplash) easing into it only exaggerates the issue. Since having mine repaired there is no shuddering at all at any speed.
@JACKAL are u only recommending regular non synthetic oil I changed mine at 100 and put in synthetic Ill take it out if that is the deal??

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
@JACKAL are u only recommending regular non synthetic oil I changed mine at 100 and put in synthetic Ill take it out if that is the deal??
I would make sure the oil you choose matches the recommended specifications exactly according to the owners manual whether it is Dino or full synthetic.

The machines were designed and tested using Dino oil specifically Honda GN4 10W 30. I am just not going to experiment with anything else.

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
I looked at a defender, Do you feel the seat back forces you to sit up to straight? That was one of the few things I couldn't get past . I never got to sit in a crew though ,maybe they are better. Awesome air filter on those defenders too!
I admit it isn't quite as comfortable as the Pioneer. You do sit up a little straight, but not as bad as the Ranger.

B

BobW

May 18, 2016
mts of wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I admit it isn't quite as comfortable as the Pioneer. You do sit up a little straight, but not as bad as the Ranger.
Well someone was bound to do it, it may as well been me. My biggest complaint about the pioneer has been too high gearing especially in reverse. Well, I was right. Last night while trying to back up a pretty tall hill to keep from going through a deep mud hole, I burnt the clutches. It was lugging, and I tried not to let it but I can't back up going 15 mph through woods. Now it takes alot of rpms to get to move and it wont shift and if it tries slips back and forth through the gears. I guess it's a good thing the 31" outlaws wouldn't fit. It can't even handle 27s with 3 people and an icechest.

advertisement
N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Glad I traded mine in on a Defender. Hope no one else has problems but it looks like they might.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Glad I traded mine in on a Defender. Hope no one else has problems but it looks like they might.

Me and @500 rode last week and I took my P1000 up the roughest trail to date for that vehicle. It was a long mountain climb having to stop and bump the front tires on the rocks to get over them and use 4-lock all the way up. I had coolers, tools, spare tire, spare fuel tanks, a chain saw, ect and pulling 30" roctanes. My vehicle is heavy with bigger front bumper, rear bumper, dual batteries, stereo, winch, and a bunch of other crap. 600 miles so far and it has been an awesome machine. Sure, I wish the gears were a little lower since I use 30" tires but the clutches hook up hard and it will spin the tires on concrete.

It's not an issue with design. It's a bad part or assembly problem in my opinion.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me and @500 rode last week and I took my P1000 up the roughest trail to date for that vehicle. It was a long mountain climb having to stop and bump the front tires on the rocks to get over them and use 4-lock all the way up. I had coolers, tools, spare tire, spare fuel tanks, a chain saw, ect and pulling 30" roctanes. My vehicle is heavy with bigger front bumper, rear bumper, dual batteries, stereo, winch, and a bunch of other crap. 600 miles so far and it has been an awesome machine. Sure, I wish the gears were a little lower since I use 30" tires but the clutches hook up hard and it will spin the tires on concrete.

It's not an issue with design. It's a bad part or assembly problem in my opinion.
I had mine in a hole last Thurs that was so thick I could barely turn the tires in reverse. I didn't sit there and burn em down, but it definitely abused the clutch. Still pulling great. Totally agree with Joey.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Another thing that I find funny, there are tons of stories about people smoking belts. I've seen it several times myself. There are also lots of pics and video on the net showing failing belts. However, people still buy them. There is more power loss in a CVT and yet people still buy them. There is a lack of engine braking in the CVT and people still buy them.

I think people buy the rubber band vehicles because of other factors like looks, power, features, aftermarket support, suspension, etc. People buy Honda for hard working, dependable vehicles. It's funny that there have been less than 1% failures on the soon to be best tranny in the market and yet people run from it like it the plague.

Maybe Honda should have the same failure rate as the other brands so they can fit in with the cool guys?

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Last edited:
N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Another thing that I find funny, there are tons of stories about people smoking belts. I've seen it several times myself. There are also lots of pics and video on the net showing failing belts. However, people still buy them. There is more power loss in a CVT and yet people still buy them. There is a lack of engine braking in the CVT and people still buy them.

I think people buy the rubber band vehicles because of other factors like looks, power, features, aftermarket support, suspension, etc. People buy Honda for hard working, dependable vehicles. It's funny that there have been less than 1% failures on the soon to be best tranny in the market and yet people run from it like it the plague.

Maybe Honda should have the same failure rate as the other brands so they can fit in with the cool guys?

Sent from my iPhone 10s
I have had several rubber band vehicles and I have only had to change one belt for about 90 dollars. That was after skidding logs bigger than the 4 wheeler after a hurricane. wasn't stranded but seemed to be slipping a little. I would hate to know I had to change clutches in a machine after using it like I use it. I switched because warranties end and I don't want to put that much money in a clutch fix. If you ride hard you will wear out belts eventually and you will wear out clutches eventually. I am sure the Honda will be fine for a lot of riders but for me the little rubber band is the better choice. And power is no problem with the Defender, it pulls like a tank. Not trying to start a bashing thread just saying it seems better for me. I have two Honda 4 wheelers that are great machines for what I use them for.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have had several rubber band vehicles and I have only had to change one belt for about 90 dollars. That was after skidding logs bigger than the 4 wheeler after a hurricane. wasn't stranded but seemed to be slipping a little. I would hate to know I had to change clutches in a machine after using it like I use it. I switched because warranties end and I don't want to put that much money in a clutch fix. If you ride hard you will wear out belts eventually and you will wear out clutches eventually. I am sure the Honda will be fine for a lot of riders but for me the little rubber band is the better choice. And power is no problem with the Defender, it pulls like a tank. Not trying to start a bashing thread just saying it seems better for me. I have two Honda 4 wheelers that are great machines for what I use them for.

It's cool, I guess people buy a Honda and expect dependability so it hurts when a guy has a failure on a new machine. I know I would be upset if my fails soon.

I just wish yours hadn't had the issue so we could get your review on the machine in great running condition.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
WARNING: you may have just poked the hornets nest!

Reactions: Null
N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
It's cool, I guess people buy a Honda and expect dependability so it hurts when a guy has a failure on a new machine. I know I would be upset if my fails soon.

I just wish yours hadn't had the issue so we could get your review on the machine in great running condition.
Actually Joey I didn't have any issues with mine, It did great and I really liked it. I guess the forum scared me into going back to a belt. I may have made a mistake but as of now im very happy with my canned ham. I just stay on this Forum because the Can Am Defender forum is boring right now because not many people have them and Yall seem like a bunch of good guys with the same interests as me. Oh yea and I do have 2 Hondas lol. The Pioneer is probably the better machine for a lot of people but my mechanical skills or lack of makes the Defender better for me.

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually Joey I didn't have any issues with mine, It did great and I really liked it. I guess the forum scared me into going back to a belt. I may have made a mistake but as of now im very happy with my canned ham. I just stay on this Forum because the Can Am Defender forum is boring right now because not many people have them and Yall seem like a bunch of good guys with the same interests as me. Oh yea and I do have 2 Hondas lol. The Pioneer is probably the better machine for a lot of people but my mechanical skills or lack of makes the Defender better for me.
Cool it's all about riding and having fun!

advertisement