P1000 Clutches burnt up

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
I may have made a mistake by trading in my Honda on a Can Am Defender. I guess time will tell, but as of now it sure makes me feel at ease to not have to worry about my clutches slipping and not being able to go under 5 mph, and shuttering loading into a trailer, and heat cooking my bottom while riding, and bed rattling, and doors rattling, etc. Cant say I have had any issues with my Defender except it purrs you to sleep at slow speeds and has zero problems so far. Hope it continues but if it doesn't, a belt is much cheaper and easier than a clutch pack.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I may have made a mistake by trading in my Honda on a Can Am Defender. I guess time will tell, but as of now it sure makes me feel at ease to not have to worry about my clutches slipping and not being able to go under 5 mph, and shuttering loading into a trailer, and heat cooking my bottom while riding, and bed rattling, and doors rattling, etc. Cant say I have had any issues with my Defender except it purrs you to sleep at slow speeds and has zero problems so far. Hope it continues but if it doesn't, a belt is much cheaper and easier than a clutch pack.
Glad you like you ride.
Lets compare again after warranties expire.

Reactions: Hondasxs
N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Will do, but I have to wait 3 years for my free factory warranty to run out. lol

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Will do, but I have to wait 3 years for my free factory warranty to run out. lol
LOL - Yeah - I forgot about that.
Still - If we had an objective way to measure aggravation, downtime, and actual cost$, I would be willing to put some serious money on a 3 year bet.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Bigworm The defender goes 1,800 miles or 200 hours to the first service. Can-Am did a great job with that. If you ride in dust your air filter may need replacing or cleaned at half that. It should do well with big tires. I think for what you want it will do everything well. The visco loc needs to be rolling and should be OK. Without a locker I always bump it through even a foot of run up is enough most of the time. One time I backed up a big hill to load the front wheels and it worked ok. Get some miles on it and let us know how it goes. You can bet all the manufactures will be testing the Defender especially Polaris.

Reactions: Null
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015

20160507 163644

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
My first impressions after the new clutch.
Better than new. NO SHUTTERING. I pull it on the trailer now in low the things engaged instantly. Same with reverse. It's hooked right off the bat. Actually started me when I hit the gas lol.

Only rode about 10 miles all on asphault. But I've did different maneuvers testing the clutch. Ran thru all gears and drive modes.
I'm impressed

Reactions: ghost
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I looked at a defender, Do you feel the seat back forces you to sit up to straight? That was one of the few things I couldn't get past . I never got to sit in a crew though ,maybe they are better. Awesome air filter on those defenders too!

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My first impressions after the new clutch.
Better than new. NO SHUTTERING. I pull it on the trailer now in low the things engaged instantly. Same with reverse. It's hooked right off the bat. Actually started me when I hit the gas lol.

Only rode about 10 miles all on asphault. But I've did different maneuvers testing the clutch. Ran thru all gears and drive modes.
I'm impressed

That's great news! Please keep us posted.

Mine has always been quick to hook up. It will spin the tires on concrete and sometimes my wife complains because she hasn't had enough seat time. You've got to learn how to be easy on the throttle because it hooks up hard.

BTW, I've been using Honda HP4S synthetic since first oil change and now at 550 miles and it's still the same.

I do wish the low range was a lot lower like most have said but the times I need that is not that often.

Congrats again on the fixed clutches.

Last edited:
J

JMRubicon

May 3, 2016
Harrodsburg Ky
Low range in all the areas that were even moderately technical. It only has 60 miles now so the first oil change has not been done. I understand what you are saying, that it needs more gas but some situations do not allow for that. It doesnt really help to be easy on the clutch if your busting other parts on the machine because you have to go to fast for the situation.
Just asking because I didn't see it specified. Are you trail riding in Low Range or High Range? & have you change the oil yet (not sure how long you have had it) if so did you use full synthetic? I recommend only Low range for all tail riding under 30 MPH. It will not shudder nearly as much if you don't pussyfoot around with the throttle give it enough pedal to get moving (without giving everyone whiplash) easing into it only exaggerates the issue. Since having mine repaired there is no shuddering at all at any speed.

I am riding in low when the shuddering occurs. I haven't even let it get into the shudder zone in High. I make it a point to not let it do that. It only has 60 miles now so the first service has not been done yet. I do need more seat time to get better with the pedal and I hope the machine will wear in a bit and I can almost totally stop the shuddering. I do wish I didn't have to worry about it at all tho. But I still love this thing.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just asking because I didn't see it specified. Are you trail riding in Low Range or High Range? & have you change the oil yet (not sure how long you have had it) if so did you use full synthetic? I recommend only Low range for all tail riding under 30 MPH. It will not shudder nearly as much if you don't pussyfoot around with the throttle give it enough pedal to get moving (without giving everyone whiplash) easing into it only exaggerates the issue. Since having mine repaired there is no shuddering at all at any speed.
I have no shuddering in mine at all either. Always a smooth take off. But I was curious @JACKAL do you know the actual price of the clutches being replaced?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
$380 each, and requires 2.
Not great but that's the price of 4 good belts and I've replaced twice that many in a few rigs over the last three years so I guess. Doesn't look to bad to do from pics I saw. I'm not worried about it anymore but was wondering how expensive it may be. Still glad it doesn't have a rubber band I love all the benefits of gears. Ride on-

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
guess i'm lucky.... got 30" motoboss tires and been beating the dogpiss out of it since new years. still not happy with the low end power but i think with all the mods i'm doing, i'll get that sorted out.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Well after a month in the shop for the second time, Honda decided they're going to replace just the 1,3.5 R clutch but it'll be a while because and O-ring is on back order. What a waste of $17K! We actually had spring weather all month and could have really enjoyed this thing.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well after a month in the shop for the second time, Honda decided they're going to replace just the 1,3.5 R clutch but it'll be a while because and O-ring is on back order. What a waste of $17K! We actually had spring weather all month and could have really enjoyed this thing.
I'm sorry for that it sucks having it down at all but you'll be up with trouble free miles coming up. I know that doesn't help now.

Reactions: jguillot
itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
I have no shuddering in mine at all either. Always a smooth take off. But I was curious @JACKAL do you know the actual price of the clutches being replaced?
When the dealer did my clutches the mechanic said Honda warranty pays 2.5hrs and depending where you buy the clutches I seen online anywhere from $275 each and up.
customer pay
$80.00 a hour labor here say 3.0hrs $240.00
someone said $380.00 X 2 $760.00
I'd say roughly $1,000.00 give or take

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They already have aftermarket clutches? 3hours doesn't seem too bad that means they should be able to do it in 1.5-2. Don't know about adjustments? But if you look at the post @JACKAL put up looks good. Sounds like a few beers on a Saturday to me. But for 240 on 700 parts probably let them do it.

advertisement