Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Corrected / updated info below, sorted by date of initial report oldest to newest.
P1K Issues 4 19 16

Reactions: Hondasxs
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wanted to post this video of my rig shifting through 1-6th gear in High range. What do y'all think? It's slipping a little bit, but not enough to bother me really. Took it in for its first service today, and the service manager had not had any vehicle in for clutch issues yet.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Just wanted to post this video of my rig shifting through 1-6th gear in High range. What do y'all think? It's slipping a little bit, but not enough to bother me really. Took it in for its first service today, and the service manager had not had any vehicle in for clutch issues yet.

Doesn't look bad to me, actually doesn't appear to be slipping at all compared to what I have seen.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Looks fine to me also.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I must have missed it. Didn't see a flare on any of the shifts.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only saw any going into 6th gear, where I was going up a hill and had to give it a little more throttle to get it to shift. Just a slight jump in RPM, but I don't know what is normal vs what isn't.

Thanks for making me feel better about my tranny!

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only saw any going into 6th gear, where I was going up a hill and had to give it a little more throttle to get it to shift. Just a slight jump in RPM, but I don't know what is normal vs what isn't.

Thanks for making me feel better about my tranny!
As strong as these things are you probably spun out going into 6th alittle bit! It sounded normal to me

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida

That sounds pretty solid to me. Mine was revving up on take off to almost 3000 rpms and slip into 3rd and 5th gear revving about 1500 to 2000 RPMs ovrr the even gears. Bad enough that you would lean forward anticipating the shift and it didn't happen right away making me almost kiss the steering wheel..... that's the best way I can explain it.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sounds pretty solid to me. Mine was revving up on take off to almost 3000 rpms and slip into 3rd and 5th gear revving about 1500 to 2000 RPMs ovrr the even gears. Bad enough that you would lean forward anticipating the shift and it didn't happen right away making me almost kiss the steering wheel..... that's the best way I can explain it.

Thanks guys.

advertisement
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Also I think that some people are checking/trying to see if there tranny is slipping by accelerating through the gears at such a super low acceleration rate that the transmission kind of sits in limbo between shifts (which can make it rev before it shifts due to lack of pressure).... Not sure I'm explaining that right but you can trick a newer truck into shifting funny or slightly slipping it if you are just accelerating to 30+mph at such a slow rate. That is really an abnormal way to drive it....I really do feel that we are seeing that this is not an issue across the board. From my experience with the P1000 it is rock solid. At Royal Blue (and other off-road parks) and here at home I have done about everything to my machine that will supposedly destroy these clutches and the P1000 has not skipped a beat! I have stopped on hills, backed up 1/4 mile down the trail, creeped up inclines at 2mph and at fast speeds, been buried in mud holes that I had to winch through 100' of mud that at one point stopped my winch, pulled over weighted trailers, etc, etc. Also when I am at parks I am boucing of the rev limiter none stop! The P1000 has met and exceeded every expectation and obstacle I have put it through!! My .02 on the lower gear is that it's not really to high (not saying it couldn't be lower) but some of the thought on it needing to be lower is because people are assuming that that is one of the reasons the clutches are burning up....if the slow speed doesn't burn up clutches and this is just an assembly problem on a few machines than is the gearing really "way" to high for the machine? To me with 28" tires it is not....coming from my off-road jeeps it is not to high for me at all. Time will tell if my machine will continue to hold up but I got around 600 miles on mine and bought it 1 week before thanksgiving! I'm not writing this to say anyone is driving there machine wrong...just trying to put some people at ease that I don't believe this is a DCT problem but an isolated problem (which is starting to be stated by others)....sorry to all with issues!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
best thing to do is nothing!! enjoy your machine if u have a problem u will know it sooner than later, and if u are one of the handful to have a problem Honda will fix it and u will be good!!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Also I think that some people are checking/trying to see if there tranny is slipping by accelerating through the gears at such a super low acceleration rate that the transmission kind of sits in limbo between shifts (which can make it rev before it shifts due to lack of pressure).... Not sure I'm explaining that right but you can trick a newer truck into shifting funny or slightly slipping it if you are just accelerating to 30+mph at such a slow rate. That is really an abnormal way to drive it....I really do feel that we are seeing that this is not an issue across the board. From my experience with the P1000 it is rock solid. At Royal Blue (and other off-road parks) and here at home I have done about everything to my machine that will supposedly destroy these clutches and the P1000 has not skipped a beat! I have stopped on hills, backed up 1/4 mile down the trail, creeped up inclines at 2mph and at fast speeds, been buried in mud holes that I had to winch through 100' of mud that at one point stopped my winch, pulled over weighted trailers, etc, etc. Also when I am at parks I am boucing of the rev limiter none stop! The P1000 has met and exceeded every expectation and obstacle I have put it through!! My .02 on the lower gear is that it's not really to high (not saying it couldn't be lower) but some of the thought on it needing to be lower is because people are assuming that that is one of the reasons the clutches are burning up....if the slow speed doesn't burn up clutches and this is just an assembly problem on a few machines than is the gearing really "way" to high for the machine? To me with 28" tires it is not....coming from my off-road jeeps it is not to high for me at all. Time will tell if my machine will continue to hold up but I got around 600 miles on mine and bought it 1 week before thanksgiving! I'm not writing this to say anyone is driving there machine wrong...just trying to put some people at ease that I don't believe this is a DCT problem but an isolated problem (which is starting to be stated by others)....sorry to all with issues!
Thanks man - it's good to hear others are using their machine the way it's intended and not having problems. I don't hold back on mine either but I really enjoyed reading that :D
Sometimes I read this thread and wonder if I need to worry (my first sxs)- but messages like this confirm my own experience and make it easier to just enjoy riding.

What 28s are you running?

Reactions: sharp and Stauvo
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Thanks man - it's good to hear others are using their machine the way it's intended and not having problems. I don't hold back on mine either but I really enjoyed reading that :D
Sometimes I read this thread and wonder if I need to worry (my first sxs)- but messages like this confirm my own experience and make it easier to just enjoy riding.

I have the Sedona Rock a Billy's.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Hometown is that a wakesetter I see in the background? What year is it? I have a 09 vlx and I'm thinking about up grading to a new one but damn 45k plus mine is a lot.

Yes it is!) It's a 2015 24' mxz! It's crazy what they cost anymore!! But we do Love it! We are wakesurf nuts! If I'm not in the woods on the pioneer....then me and the family are on the water wakesurfing!!

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida

Jackal has put together a very nice list... Thanks again @JACKAL. That list is very small for the amount of people on this forum and the amount of P1K's sold. I was one that had my clutch replaced and feel it is an isolated concern with the P1K. I've been beating the snot out of mine since my clutch getting replaced in April and if it happens again then I'll raise an eyebrow, but for now I'm enjoying the baddest ATV / UTV Honda has.
IMG 20160430 190300100

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Jackal has put together a very nice list... Thanks again @JACKAL. That list is very small for the amount of people on this forum and the amount of P1K's sold. I was one that had my clutch replaced and feel it is an isolated concern with the P1K. I've been beating the snot out of mine since my clutch getting replaced in April and if it happens again then I'll raise an eyebrow, but for now I'm enjoying the baddest ATV / UTV Honda has.
View attachment 14596
I picked mine up today, the dealer has had it fixed for three weeks but I couldn't get away until now. Took it for a few minutes spin everything worked perfectly. Will be running about 40 miles of trails tomorrow. Then will pass final judgment.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked mine up today dealer has had it fixed for three weeks but I couldn't get away until now. Took it for a few minutes spin everything worked perfectly. Will be running about 40 miles of trails tomorrow. Then will pass final judgment.

That's great news! Glad to hear!

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I picked mine up today dealer has had it fixed for three weeks but I couldn't get away until now. Took it for a few minutes spin everything worked perfectly. Will be running about 40 miles of trails tomorrow. Then will pass final judgment.
Darn... I want to go!

Reactions: dotman1
advertisement