P1000 Clutches burnt up

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Warranty is nice, but only if they choose to honor it. I have seen denials nd experienced denials and the blame game.

What is the point of your statement regarding warranty? So far I haven't heard of a single warranty denial by Honda for anything on the p1k (this isn't Polaris). And the clutch issues appear to be fading into the background quick, even though sales HAVE to be increasing by leaps and bounds due to warmer weather.

Waylan

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the point of your statement regarding warranty? So far I haven't heard of a single warranty denial by Honda for anything on the p1k (this isn't Polaris). And the clutch issues appear to be fading into the background quick, even though sales HAVE to be increasing by leaps and bounds due to warmer weather.

Waylan

Absolutely. With the temps in the high 70's up here in Northern MN and further North people are out riding and blowing off cabin fever. That's a great deal more new machines out on the trails.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Warranty is nice, but only if they choose to honor it. I have seen denials nd experienced denials and the blame game.

9 mph discrepancy, that would weigh on me pretty hard. Please let us know what happened.

Why the big mph loss?
When I have some time (get off work) I will be getting into why my top end is down that much. My top speed is what I first notice when my clutch concerns popped up.

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.

Waylan
This forum is a small percentage of owners. Any dealer can say rider abuse, and your claim is done. This can, and does happen.
This whole deal is a gamble because fading or not. This issue is real.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not up to the dealer, it's up to Honda, UNLESS you bought the DEALERS extended warranty and not Hondas.

The dealers get paid either way if it's Honda warranty.

They only assume the risk if the extended warranty is theirs and not Hondas.

Reactions: Kingmudd
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
The dealer is much more involved than you think. They can help, or hurt your claim. Go ahead and believe honda will fix it all no questions asked. Lol. I really don't care, but I have seen it all.

Reactions: Buckrocker
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The dealer is much more involved than you think. They can help, or hurt your claim. Go ahead and believe honda will fix it all no questions asked. Lol. I really don't care, but I have seen it all.
You know what?? The question I have is this...Have you posted one positive thing on here? I've been reading this forum for about a year and don't think I've seen anyone so negative. Go buy your maverick or RZR and be done with it because obviously this Honda will not be good enough for you, clearly. Btw I love mine!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You know what?? The question I have is this...Have you posted one positive thing on here? I've been reading this forum for about a year and don't think I've seen anyone so negative. Go buy your maverick or RZR and be done with it because obviously this Honda will not be good enough for you, clearly. Btw I love mine!
He's a troll - no doubt in my mind. Suddenly he "knows" the clutch problem is a real issue. I am always very wary of anyone who says they have seen it all. A real know it all graces us with his presence.

Waylan

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
It may not be. Sounds like gear ratio, and clutch pressures need changing. Maybe the 017 will be better.

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
He's a troll - no doubt in my mind. Suddenly he "knows" the clutch problem is a real issue. I am always very wary of anyone who says they have seen it all. A real know it all graces us with his presence.

Waylan
More name calling eh. I'm not the only one here looking for real info. Not biased brand bigot rants...of which there is a whole thread in here on. Lol

advertisement
B

bdiesel3

Feb 14, 2016
West MI
The fact we are not seeing any new cases of failure with the warmer weather is promising that it's not going to be a "problem" with these 1000s. When this thread got rolling I became nervous of mine but it is still running strong with no problems at all. To be real honest I am quite impressed with how well it works. I also really like how quiet it is and how easy it is to talk to passengers w/o yelling over engine noise.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Honda Power Sport Corp. called today and they are going to pay for a 1 year extended warranty giving me 2 years total. Then my dealer called and let me know they would like to extend the warranty for 2 more years (totaling 4 years of warranty) for $445 after tax. This is what they offered because my clutch problem. That doesn't sound to bad for me. Better then nothing!! :)

@JACKAL @Serial_Fordicator @mikegzales @Bayouownbeer @aquatic1998 @Scooterchris @Kyguy52 @Buckrocker @jguillot @HivoltageHonda @amc019 @Millerhunts @jokerperry @ratsnake @educ8tedguess @Rippinnrarrin @Lilnoisy

I think this is everyone with clutch concerns on Jackals spreadsheet? I wasn't a jerk off to Honda corp. people... just explained $17k for a UTV and have it in the shop is not a good felling when I'm still paying monthly for it.

Honda Power Sport # 866-784-1870

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Honda Power Sport Corp. called today and they are going to pay for a 1 year extended warranty giving me 2 years total. Then my dealer called and let me know they would like to extend the warranty for 2 more years (totaling 4 years of warranty) for $445 after tax. This is what they offered because my clutch problem. That doesn't sound to bad for me. Better then nothing!! :)

@JACKAL @Serial_Fordicator @mikegzales @Bayouownbeer @aquatic1998 @Scooterchris @Kyguy52 @Buckrocker @jguillot @HivoltageHonda @amc019 @Millerhunts @jokerperry @ratsnake @educ8tedguess @Rippinnrarrin @Lilnoisy

I think this is everyone with clutch concerns on Jackals spreadsheet? I wasn't a jerk off to Honda corp. people... just explained $17k for a UTV and have it in the shop is not a good felling when I'm still paying monthly for it.

Honda Power Sport # 866-784-1870
Good to hear Honda is committed to customer satisfaction and to provide you with the peace of mind by extending the warranty for an additional year at no cost to you. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, hopefully you will not need to use the warranty for any repeated issue.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Good to hear Honda is committed to customer satisfaction and to provide you with the peace of mind by extending the warranty for an additional year at no cost to you. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, hopefully you will not need to use the warranty for any repeated issue.

I'm still very happy with my honda even if they didn't do anything for me. Honda has been good to me the last 2 years.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Mine is still in the shop in Hattiesburg. I'll be visiting the shop tomorrow to find out the latest. Approximately a week ago the dealership notified corporate that mine was back in for the same clutch slippage and were waiting on instructions on how to proceed. I never mentioned it but my good friend and riding buddy, David, has a white 3 seater and it's sitting next to mine in the shop for the same issue. Our dealership told us that the dealership 30 miles up the road has two units in for the same issue as well.

I

Industry

Apr 19, 2016
Knoxville lL
Well, I'm new to this forum but glad I found it. Went last Friday and bought a brand new pioneer 1000 d5 absolutely pumped, took it out Friday ran great no issues, took it out Saturday with the family and half way through the day the tranny started acting up. Took it back Monday, found out today that the 2,4,6 clutch is toast, left the dealership Friday with 2 miles on it and returned it Monday with 32 miles on it. Pretty sad you pay this kind of money for something and it doesn't even make it a full weekend of riding. I live in Illinois where we have nothing crazy for terrain and didn't perform any excessive backing and it still failed. Of course it's still under warranty and is getting fixed but it's a little concerning having it fail so quickly, reading your posts I thought that I had entered the twilight zone, I guess it is unfortunate but some what comforting to know that I'm not the only one. I'm hoping as we all are that Honda lives up to their reputation and finds a fix for this issues. Keeping my fingers crossed and staying glued to this forum, thanks again for the support and sharing.

Reactions: itsleo
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I absolutely have faith that Honda will address this problem whether it's driver error or failure. For one they have too much to lose with basically the new beginning they have and two the reputation they have to uphold over other competitors. I wouldn't hold it above other manufacturers the have some fairly well informed "salesman" gracing certain sites to to create havoc and disparity. It's like people running for office it becomes an attempt at rather then what I can do for you it becomes look at how this candidate fails. Good luck to those having problems none of us are hoping for bad as you pay a lot for these machines and expect a lot unlike other manufacturers machines. I've seen nothing but good from Honda over 10's of thousands of miles I've been on them and expect that here. My advice is to do the extended warranty for 5% of the price(10-20% with other brands) and expect not to have to use it. No problems yet and we've not been nice to this over 1k on it and it's smoother then day one. Should do a 2nd oil change soon I suppose

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Well, I'm new to this forum but glad I found it. Went last Friday and bought a brand new pioneer 1000 d5 absolutely pumped, took it out Friday ran great no issues, took it out Saturday with the family and half way through the day the tranny started acting up. Took it back Monday, found out today that the 2,4,6 clutch is toast, left the dealership Friday with 2 miles on it and returned it Monday with 32 miles on it. Pretty sad you pay this kind of money for something and it doesn't even make it a full weekend of riding. I live in Illinois where we have nothing crazy for terrain and didn't perform any excessive backing and it still failed. Of course it's still under warranty and is getting fixed but it's a little concerning having it fail so quickly, reading your posts I thought that I had entered the twilight zone, I guess it is unfortunate but some what comforting to know that I'm not the only one. I'm hoping as we all are that Honda lives up to their reputation and finds a fix for this issues. Keeping my fingers crossed and staying glued to this forum, thanks again for the support and sharing.

@Industry Welcome to the club and at the same time sorry to hear of your troubles. The machines that are having issues do seem to show up fairly quickly. Most are having issues with the R, 1, 3, 5th gear clutch not the 2, 4, 6th gear clutch. This is the first I heard of that one going out first. Honda has been making good on them and getting your parts will take longer than the authorization to get it repaired. Please keep us posted of your experience.

I

Industry

Apr 19, 2016
Knoxville lL
@Industry Welcome to the club and at the same time sorry to hear of your troubles. The machines that are having issues do seem to show up fairly quickly. Most are having issues with the R, 1, 3, 5th gear clutch not the 2, 4, 6th gear clutch. This is the first I heard of that one going out first. Honda has been making good on them and getting your parts will take longer than the authorization to get it repaired. Please keep us posted of your experience.
I apologize, it very well could be the 1,3,5 clutch, it slips going from 2nd to 3rd so I wasn't sure if that was tied to the 1,3,5 or the 2,4,6 clutch, either way it's awesome having the support from everybody, duly noted and greatly appreciated.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I apologize, it very well could be the 1,3,5 clutch, it slips going from 2nd to 3rd so I wasn't sure if that was tied to the 1,3,5 or the 2,4,6 clutch, either way it's awesome having the support from everybody, duly noted and greatly appreciated.
If it is revving up going into 3rd and into 5th while shuddering on take off from a stand still then it is the starter clutch. It is the one controlling 1,3,5th gear as well as reverse. When it shudders all the clutch material is gone off the friction plates and its metal against metal when first starting to move. I added you to the list below, it had been a while since anyone reported an issue, but I figured I jinxed us when I noted that a few days ago.

Some people have wondered just how big or small the issue is, this one forum as I understand it has accounted for approximately 1/3rd of all issues with the P1000 clutches reported to Honda. So all in, somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 units total as an estimate. I do not know how many thousands have been sold it would be interesting to know that estimate as well.

@Hondasxs I want my prize for the 1000th post in this thread

Reported issues requiring actual part replacement of clutch components:
P1K Issues 4 19 16

advertisement