P1000 Clutches burnt up

R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On a good note, I went to a big dealer here to get oil and asked how many P1000's they sold and he said a little over a 100. I then asked how many have been brought back in with clutch problems? He said, none.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On a good note, I went to a big dealer here to get oil and asked how many P1000's they sold and he said a little over a 100. I then asked how many have been brought back in with clutch problems? He said, none.
Ha ha good answer on his part. I'm sure Honda has told them to keep that hush hush not to hurt sales.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
I called Honda Corp. again to check up on clutch release date and they still don't have a time frame. I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass to my dealer but why not call the people they have to to answer to.. the problem isn't my dealers. It's going not 2 months they have had my P1K.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I called Honda Corp. again to check up on clutch release date and they still don't have a time frame. I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass to my dealer but why not call the people they have to to answer to.. the problem isn't my dealers. It's going not 2 months they have had my P1K.
Ouch!
2 months.... I would start being a pain to someone. Probably everyone.
Share your pain with them and they will be more motivated to make it to go away.

Reactions: itsleo
R

ratsnake

Mar 14, 2016
Alabama
Got a call this morning from dealer clutch pack came in and there installing it today... Finally!!!!

B

Bwilson

Apr 11, 2016
Picayune
New here! My P1K has been in the shop since 2/29/16, Still waiting on oil tank cooler gasket to be shipped. It has been quite frustrating with it being in the shop for so long. I purchased it on 11-19-15 and 102 days later I had to take it in. Today makes 43 days in the shop.
I am not here to complain, I love my P1K, My complaint is the lack of available parts for repairs. I have read several posts on clutches being burnt up while in reverse, I feel mine was similar also. I got hung up and was shifting from FWD to REV (NOT RAPIDLY) I did have tire movement so not like I was just hammering the throttle with tires stalled. I ride very conservatively (Still stock 27" Bighorns) I stay in low range while riding trails and high range when running 20MPH plus. I rode my Ranger the same way to prevent burning up belts.
Hopefully they get this issue resolved soon, Would really like to see a upgraded heavy duty clutch set up or gear reduction.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New here! My P1K has been in the shop since 2/29/16, Still waiting on oil tank cooler gasket to be shipped. It has been quite frustrating with it being in the shop for so long. I purchased it on 11-19-15 and 102 days later I had to take it in. Today makes 43 days in the shop.
I am not here to complain, I love my P1K, My complaint is the lack of available parts for repairs. I have read several posts on clutches being burnt up while in reverse, I feel mine was similar also. I got hung up and was shifting from FWD to REV (NOT RAPIDLY) I did have tire movement so not like I was just hammering the throttle with tires stalled. I ride very conservatively (Still stock 27" Bighorns) I stay in low range while riding trails and high range when running 20MPH plus. I rode my Ranger the same way to prevent burning up belts.
Hopefully they get this issue resolved soon, Would really like to see a upgraded heavy duty clutch set up or gear reduction.

Welcome to the club Bwilson,

Wow! Hope you get back up running real soon.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
welcome to the forum! are you saying that your machine had clutch issues that started while reversing?

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This was one of my biggest complaints with Honda. The same problem was with my 700. Honda released the product and didn't have any parts to support it.

advertisement
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
:rolleyes: uh-oh. Another one.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Makes you wonder how many are out there just waiting for the right conditions to manifest this design/assembly/or manufacturing defect. What if this shows up after the warranty expires.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Well. Maybe this is cup 1/2 full thinking but his clutch failed kinda at the peak along with the others 8 - 10 weeks back. If there are more they will eventually find Hondasxs club.

Reactions: dotman1
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It sure appears to only be affecting a few machines and also appears to be tapering off..........but time will tell. The extended warranty is cheaper than this fix, so that's probably the smartest thing to do. At least as far as we can tell Honda is fixing the few that have had this issue under warranty and not blaming the consumer.....

@JACKAL - that's good news; should be ready in a day or two right? Looking forward to you keeping us posted on the followup.

Man I love it when folks that don't even have the machine keep coming in here to stir the pot.

Waylan

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty sure it was while in reverse.

Can you give us more details about what was happening when it failed - like how the machine was acting? Did it leave you stranded? Has the dealer changed out the clutch packs and now all you are waiting on is a oil cooler gasket?

Thanks,

Waylan

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
.....What if this shows up after the warranty expires.

I wouldn't worry it seems as though Honda is making every effort to repair the machine by any means, they don't seem to be giving any pushback when it comes to the clutch packs.

This part. is a wild guess, there seems to be a wait for parts, maybe that could be because they are checking each one for proper assembly before shipping them to dealers?

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't worry it seems as though Honda is making every effort to repair the machine by any means, they don't seem to be giving any pushback when it comes to the clutch packs.

This part. is a wild guess, there seems to be a wait for parts, maybe that could be because they are checking each one for proper assembly before shipping them to dealers?
Although this is a little unsettling while I am shopping for a new P1000-3. I have owned 6 new Honda Autos, Honda lawnmower, Honda weed eater, 5 Honda dirt bikes, a Honda 3 Wheeler, and 3 Honda 4 wheelers with nothing but good to report.

Reactions: DTAGG
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It sure appears to only be affecting a few machines and also appears to be tapering off..........but time will tell. The extended warranty is cheaper than this fix, so that's probably the smartest thing to do. At least as far as we can tell Honda is fixing the few that have had this issue under warranty and not blaming the consumer.....

@JACKAL - that's good news; should be ready in a day or two right? Looking forward to you keeping us posted on the followup.

Man I love it when folks that don't even have the machine keep coming in here to stir the pot.

Waylan[/QUOTE
How much are people paying for an extended warranty and what is its length?

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen the Honda 3 year extended warranty (adds to the factory 1 year warranty giving you a total of 4 years) for like $500-$600, depending on dealer. Not bad considering there are 2 clutch packs that retail for almost $400 each, plus labor. If not for an extended warranty plus it being a "Honda", I doubt I would have purchased a 1st year model.

Waylan

Reactions: dotman1
advertisement