Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
It sure appears to only be affecting a few machines and also appears to be tapering off..........but time will tell. The extended warranty is cheaper than this fix, so that's probably the smartest thing to do. At least as far as we can tell Honda is fixing the few that have had this issue under warranty and not blaming the consumer.....

@JACKAL - that's good news; should be ready in a day or two right? Looking forward to you keeping us posted on the followup.

Man I love it when folks that don't even have the machine keep coming in here to stir the pot.

Waylan
Not sure how long it will taken them, I will not assume too much but would hope they got all the gaskets etc. it would require to complete the job in one shipment. I do have another gremlin they will be looking into on the sub transmission but will wait until they get into it to see exactly what is going on, until then I am not going to speculate on it, but I put 150 miles on it between Th - Sat at the group ride in Royal Blue and running in manual mode 1-3rd gears ran the trails without a hitch. As long as you learn how to shift it manually (to avoid excessive auto shifting slipping) you can do anything normal except avoid the shuddering on initial takeoff, anything above 4 mph you wouldn't even know anything was amiss riding with me.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
What's the advantage if any of having the DCT opposed to one with a torque converter? I drove a P500 and it has manual shift only but a very low 1st gear which I wish Honda would have done with the P1000.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
effective use of space.... personally i feel the torque converter is superior. it is a fluid coupling between the engine and trans. by adjusting the stall speed of the converter, it will allow the engine to enter the power band before applying full load. also when the drive train is under severe bind, it will slip and allow it to build up higher rpms on the engine side effectively producing what is called torque multiplication.... much like what you would do with a manual transmission in a passenger vehicle where you allow the clutch to slip some.

Reactions: Farmer and Springer
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the advantage if any of having the DCT opposed to one with a torque converter? I drove a P500 and it has manual shift only but a very low 1st gear which I wish Honda would have done with the P1000.

I wondered the same thing - I have no basis but was thinking compactness. I was also thinking that the DCT can shift faster so it could also be from a performance standpoint.

Waylan

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Just to clarify.

The P500 has a centrifugal clutch 5 speed manual transmission with "granny" 1st gear and reverse, no independent low range, no automatic mode.

The P700 has a torque converter 3 speed auto transmission with no independent low range, no manual mode.

The P1000 has a DCT 6 speed manual/auto transmission with independent low range on forward gears only, not reverse.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Just to clarify.

The P500 has a centrifugal clutch 5 speed manual transmission with "granny" 1st gear and reverse, no independent low range, no automatic mode.

The P700 has a torque converter 3 speed auto transmission with no independent low range, no manual mode.

The P1000 has a DCT 6 speed manual/auto transmission with independent low range on forward gears only, not reverse.

from what i've read... the DCT clutch packs are engaged by hydraulic pressure much like the clutch pack in an automatic trans.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Dealer replaced my clutch baskets yesterday...Test drove my P1K today and brought it home and of course I'm on call all week so I won't be giving it a true test run until next weekend (22nd) that really sucks. It's been so long since I seen my bike it felt like I was it all over again.. like a kid in the candy store!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I just got a call my P1K is repaired, replaced the clutch packs and a Low range sub transmission part not sure if it was the gear or shifting fork, I haven't spoken directly with the tech that worked on it. Said a Honda Rep wanted to check it out before I pick it up so sounds like it will be back in the saddle soon. Must not be too terrible of a repair (labor hours) as essentially they just had all day yesterday and maybe 1/2 of today since the parts came in.

Reactions: Stauvo
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
damn its sad to hear all the probs with the tranny but i guess first gen everyone is the ginnie pigs

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
i wonder if the Africa twin has the same problems
Over seas yes, when they put synthetic oil in them they are having some issues with the same "starting clutch" R, 1, 3, &5 gears according to Africa Twin enthusiast forums over there.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
syn or energy conservation syn oils? the energy conservation has lubricants the coat the clutch plate which makes them slip but its really interesting

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's just synth maybe it could be due to viscosity changes at operating temperature versus a standard oil?

I want to say @joeymt33 did an impressive write up on oils a while back. I think I remember reading that synth changes viscosity differently from standard oil.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
If it's just synth maybe it could be due to viscosity changes at operating temperature versus a standard oil?

I want to say @joeymt33 did an impressive write up on oils a while back. I think I remember reading that synth changes viscosity differently from standard oil.

It is allegedly the moly content as it varies significantly from brand type / to brand type some have as little as 50 ppm on upwards of over 800 ppm, anything over 200 ppm I'm told is a no no. I learned my lesson sticking to the Pro Honda GN4 4-Stroke Motor Oil 10W-30 that way there should be no excuses.

Reactions: joeymt33 and Stauvo
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Here is the latest info from members posting, still 2 units waiting on parts one a new member whose machine has been in shop since Feb 29th. So far no "new" machines issues have been reported in a month so optimistically we will see this issue wane if all things stay the course.

P1K Issues 4 15 16

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the latest info from members posting, still 2 units waiting on parts one a new member whose machine has been in shop since Feb 29th. So far no "new" machines issues have been reported in a month so optimistically we will see this issue wane if all things stay the course.

View attachment 13677
Jackal that is encouraging news! Congratulations on getting your Pioneer fixed and have a great weekend riding.

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
Warranty is nice, but only if they choose to honor it. I have seen denials nd experienced denials and the blame game.
took a test drivetoday ... all seems to be fine. When I first bought this P1K I was running 67 mph on the road now it's 58 mph. Still glad to have her back!!! View attachment 13760 View attachment 13761
9 mph discrepancy, that would weigh on me pretty hard. Please let us know what happened.
took a test drivetoday ... all seems to be fine. When I first bought this P1K I was running 67 mph on the road now it's 58 mph. Still glad to have her back!!! View attachment 13760 View attachment 13761
Why the big mph loss?

advertisement