P1000 Clutches burnt up

bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
in the shop again for the second clutch... wasn't even riding it hard... yay

Stopped by local dealer and was asking about the clutches, he said the district man came by and told them it is best to driver it hard! Well, he wouldn't come right out and say that but thats what he was getting at! Taking it easy lets the clutch slip too much and doesn't give it time to lock is what they were saying could be doing it. For most people it can be kind of hard to just go out and drive it hard when you just spent so much money!

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
in the shop again for the second clutch... wasn't even riding it hard... yay
Second set of clutches!! That sucks bad. Rumor has it that the clutches are updated now... Not sure if there is any truth to that or not. So how many miles on the 1st set and on second set? I'm sure you will but let us know what happens.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Second set of clutches!! That sucks bad. Rumor has it that the clutches are updated now... Not sure if there is any truth to that or not. So how many miles on the 1st set and on second set? I'm sure you will but let us know what happens.

Just a rumor. No one has provided any proof of part numbers or parts. All been hearsay.

I have some oceanfront property in Oklahoma if you're interested.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
I drove mine extremely hard this past weekend and didn't have any clutch issues. I climbed extremely steep hills going up/down and drove over plenty of rocks going slow while clutch was engaging/disengaging and still no problems. I purchased mine in October and have approximately 350 miles on it. I did have one situation where I was pulling a tree from under a cherokee and it seemed to stall in low 1st gear....let slack out and then hit the gas to break the tires lose. Not saying that I won't have any clutch issues but I'm going to drive the h@!! out of it and get it replaced under warranty if it does break!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Here is the updates from recent postings. I picked mine up on 5/3/16 and had a good run with it the next day at Royal Blue machine performed perfectly. Mechanic who worked on my P1K stated that the starter clutch was toast. Everyone experimenting with oil other that what is specifically recommended by Honda I caution you against it. As for complaints about shuddering at 2-4 mph what can you not do at 5 mph that you can at 2-4mph? In low range 5 mph is solid in RPM and oil pressure, those that want to keep playing games with their clutches testing the "lower limits" and or synthetic oil ,go ahead it is your down time while it is in the shop.

P1K Issues 5 5 16

advertisement
J

JMRubicon

May 3, 2016
Harrodsburg Ky
I just brought mine home Tuesday. Drove it around the yard a few minutes and was really impressed with the power and ride, pretty much everything on this thing. Until I tried to go over a very small, but steep mound of dirt on my property. That's when I felt the shuddering. I am sorry but there are a lot of situations that 5mph is too fast. I worry about the long term problems with these clutches. If I ignore the shuddering until I have actual slipping, that could be right when my warranty runs out and I have to pay for it. There are going to be situations while trail riding that I know I am going to need to crawl through a technical section and I am not going to be able to stay out of the shudder zone. There is no bigger fan of Honda than me. I have been on nothing but a Honda since 1997. I even bought a Pilot for my wife to drive because I wanted her to have the most dependable vehicle she could. But I am beginning to believe they dropped the ball on this one. If the shuddering does in fact cause clutch wear, then sooner or later everyone that rides these things in conditions other than gravel roads or in pastures are going to need a clutch. I bought a Honda because I didn't think I would have to worry about issues like that.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just brought mine home Tuesday. Drove it around the yard a few minutes and was really impressed with the power and ride, pretty much everything on this thing. Until I tried to go over a very small, but steep mound of dirt on my property. That's when I felt the shuddering. I am sorry but there are a lot of situations that 5mph is too fast. I worry about the long term problems with these clutches. If I ignore the shuddering until I have actual slipping, that could be right when my warranty runs out and I have to pay for it. There are going to be situations while trail riding that I know I am going to need to crawl through a technical section and I am not going to be able to stay out of the shudder zone. There is no bigger fan of Honda than me. I have been on nothing but a Honda since 1997. I even bought a Pilot for my wife to drive because I wanted her to have the most dependable vehicle she could. But I am beginning to believe they dropped the ball on this one. If the shuddering does in fact cause clutch wear, then sooner or later everyone that rides these things in conditions other than gravel roads or in pastures are going to need a clutch. I bought a Honda because I didn't think I would have to worry about issues like that.
My initial impressions were very similar to yours. Paid a lot of money, it should do whatever I want it to do, but it doesn't seem to like approaching stall speeds, especially on steep hills. Annoyed and concerned...
I now have almost 600 hard miles on mine and based on my experiences, I am no longer worried about the clutches.
As stated in the other thread, it is a MANUAL transmission. Would you drive a manual jeep up to a rock, put your front wheel against it and then try to ease out on the clutch from a dead stop??? Obviously not. Would you try to crawl up a steep hill at such a slow speed that the engine stalls??? Obviously not. There is a certain amount of technique and skill required to make a manual tranny work in an off road scenario. Now that I've logged a little trail time and become more in tune with how it operates, I have no trouble crawling over technical obstacles at low speeds.
Like I said before, I understand your concerns and I felt the same way in the beginning. But now after developing my technique and all I've put mine through, I am 100% confident to take it anywhere.
My suggestion to you is to go get some seat time. That's the only thing that will build your confidence and quiet your concerns.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
I'm about 95% sure the extended warranty doesn't cover wear items and the clutch is a wear item. Double check with your dealer.

When my clutch went out Honda corporate made sure to tell me that Honda was going to fix my pioneer because of the time I owned it and mileage but they don't cover wear items under warranty.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm about 95% sure the extended warranty doesn't cover wear items and the clutch is a wear item. Double check with your dealer.

When my clutch went out Honda corporate made sure to tell me that Honda was going to fix my pioneer because of the time I owned it and mileage but they don't cover wear items under warranty.
Isn't everything a wear item. In reality?

Reactions: Hondasxs
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
5 miles on mine happy to report zero problems. Lol but seriously it grabs hard. I can get it to shudder pulling into my trailer. I'm not worried. I've yet to see the build date but it wasn't under recall. And came from the honda warehouse Wednesday. So hopefully a recent build

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Must admit that I have my doubts about these things going 5000 miles without clutch problems. Would be a lot more optomistic if Honda announced a fix that would allow slow speeds under strain without shuddering.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I finally was able to put some hard miles on mine after they "reflashed" or "reset" my clutch and did the first service. Put 80 miles on and it is shifting smooth and pulling strong. Hopefully it keeps this up. I absolutely love this machine.

Reactions: itsleo
J

JMRubicon

May 3, 2016
Harrodsburg Ky
My initial impressions were very similar to yours. Paid a lot of money, it should do whatever I want it to do, but it doesn't seem to like approaching stall speeds, especially on steep hills. Annoyed and concerned...
I now have almost 600 hard miles on mine and based on my experiences, I am no longer worried about the clutches.
As stated in the other thread, it is a MANUAL transmission. Would you drive a manual jeep up to a rock, put your front wheel against it and then try to ease out on the clutch from a dead stop??? Obviously not. Would you try to crawl up a steep hill at such a slow speed that the engine stalls??? Obviously not. There is a certain amount of technique and skill required to make a manual tranny work in an off road scenario. Now that I've logged a little trail time and become more in tune with how it operates, I have no trouble crawling over technical obstacles at low speeds.
Like I said before, I understand your concerns and I felt the same way in the beginning. But now after developing my technique and all I've put mine through, I am 100% confident to take it anywhere.
My suggestion to you is to go get some seat time. That's the only thing that will build your confidence and quiet your concerns.

Thanks for your reply, this makes me feel much better to know others have had the same concerns but are now confident. On the way to the trails now so I will have a better understanding by the end of the day today.

Reactions: PioneerPete
J

JMRubicon

May 3, 2016
Harrodsburg Ky
I got to put a few miles on the Pioneer yesterday on actual trails and I have to say I am both thrilled and still a little worried. I will start with the bad. The low speed shuddering is very annoying and its hard to drive this thing in really rocky terrain and keep it from doing it. On one occasion I was climbing up a steep hill and there were 2 trees I needed to go between. I wasn't sure if I could even fit. So I stopped to access the situation. Trying to pull back out on that trail was not easy. It shuddered badly and I had to give it a lot more gas than I wanted in that situation to stop the shuddering while still squeezing between the 2 trees. The good, this thing is so smooth. Its super quiet and a blast to drive. It has so much power. The suspension just soaks up everything. All in all I love it. Being able to take my wife and son and everyone be super comfortable is so awesone. Hopefully I will be able to minimize the shuddering, or stop paying attention to it and this machine will be perfect.

Reactions: PioneerPete
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I got to put a few miles on the Pioneer yesterday on actual trails and I have to say I am both thrilled and still a little worried. I will start with the bad. The low speed shuddering is very annoying and its hard to drive this thing in really rocky terrain and keep it from doing it. On one occasion I was climbing up a steep hill and there were 2 trees I needed to go between. I wasn't sure if I could even fit. So I stopped to access the situation. Trying to pull back out on that trail was not easy. It shuddered badly and I had to give it a lot more gas than I wanted in that situation to stop the shuddering while still squeezing between the 2 trees. The good, this thing is so smooth. Its super quiet and a blast to drive. It has so much power. The suspension just soaks up everything. All in all I love it. Being able to take my wife and son and everyone be super comfortable is so awesone. Hopefully I will be able to minimize the shuddering, or stop paying attention to it and this machine will be perfect.
Just asking because I didn't see it specified. Are you trail riding in Low Range or High Range? & have you change the oil yet (not sure how long you have had it) if so did you use full synthetic? I recommend only Low range for all tail riding under 30 MPH. It will not shudder nearly as much if you don't pussyfoot around with the throttle give it enough pedal to get moving (without giving everyone whiplash) easing into it only exaggerates the issue. Since having mine repaired there is no shuddering at all at any speed.

advertisement