P1000 Clutches burnt up

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Another thought, when I bought my 1000, I had the dealer include my 30's on the deal. It did not have the lift on it then, but they did mount them on the stock wheels for me and put them on before I came to pick it up. Does that mean I'll be fine to bring it back to that dealer if my clutches give up? I know they're prolly gunna blame it on the tires, but can I argue that the dealer put them on?

Guess I could find some non-deluxe tires/wheels for cheap if I need to, but had rather not when the time comes for repairs.
they kept the stock ones. if they did did u get credit for them?

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Honda just called and said that clutch pack with r 1,3,5 gears are on critical backorder. So Honda told my dealer they could get what parts they need off a new one in stock. Looking to get it back tommorrow. I'm pretty happy with Honda willing to do what it takes so I can make my riding trip next week.
I'm trying my hardest not to cancel my kids spring break trip next week. Mine has been in the shop since Tuesday and Honda of Hattiesburg told me today they haven't even looked at it yet.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm trying my hardest not to cancel my kids spring break trip next week. Mine has been in the shop since Tuesday and Honda of Hattiesburg told me today they haven't even looked at it yet.

Will it run at all, just slipping once in a while? Or is it undriveable?

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My serial number is 1HFVE0461G4000197; does that mean that I have the 197th frame made, or the 197th camo 5 seater model? Mine was made in December of 2015 (indicated by sticker on frame inside front passenger wheel well). I ask because I find it hard to believe that by 12-15, only 197 P1000-5's had been made.

Thanks,

Waylan

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If Honda is telling the dealers to take what parts is needed to fix other pk1's, do these new pk1's have the new clutch pack or the same clutch pack that is causing problems. This is probably a question that can only be answered by Honda.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Honda just called and said that clutch pack with r 1,3,5 gears are on critical backorder. So Honda told my dealer they could get what parts they need off a new one in stock. Looking to get it back tommorrow. I'm pretty happy with Honda willing to do what it takes so I can make my riding trip next week.
Man I hope they don't sell that donor p1k to someone as new...

Reactions: Farmer and joeymt33
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
yes they will I ran across this before and it was Honda

Feb 7, 2016
WY
"critical backorder" sounds like there might be a whole lot of fire beneath the smoke.

Honda needs to do a recall or issue some sort of comment about the future of this bike. Are they going to fix them all, just wait till they fail and work from there... Is it a matter of time until they all fail? I certainly won't be buying one until there is something definitive coming from Honda on this.

Reactions: Rippinnrarrin
advertisement
Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
37000 views and almost as many opinions. Honda is not going to issue anything to this forum, and it is highly unlikely they are going to say anything of substance to their dealers. This is a very very small problem, for only a few people.(sorry if you are one of them, but that is the truth) I am sure that Honda will fix whatever it is, and the new ones are going to have that fix, and eventually, if mine breaks, it will as well. Many people commenting on here seem to think this is a new thing, as if there hasn't ever been a Honda issue in the past or that a new vehicle has some sort of teething issues. Honda Goldwing frames cracked, and eventually they were all repaired, but it wasn't in the first three months of the issue being found. Ford F150's rear ends in 2010 where likely to grenade, and if you were lucky, they fixed it under warranty, if you were not.... I am not thrilled that there MIGHT be an issue with my clutches, but NOT all are failing, although some are. I think there are a LOT fewer than what Yamaha ran into with the YXZ, and I haven't heard of a recall there either.

Keep calm, drive it like you want. If you really want a new clutch before they have any available hold your machine on a hill with the gas. Anything can be broken, and most everything will be sooner or later.

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
My serial number is 1HFVE0461G4000197; does that mean that I have the 197th frame made, or the 197th camo 5 seater model? Mine was made in December of 2015 (indicated by sticker on frame inside front passenger wheel well). I ask because I find it hard to believe that by 12-15, only 197 P1000-5's had been made.

Thanks,

Waylan
I can't give you an answer, but it may be that while your VIN ends in 197, it may not have been the 197th vehicle off the line. I'm not sure that as they come off the line they get consecutive numbers. My 1000-3 EPS VIN ends in 205, the sticker says October 2015. Like you, I can't think that in October this was only the 205th 1000-3 EPS that they had put together. Hopefully somebody who knows more about assembly line practice can tell us.

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015

Thanks,

Waylan
Must be the camo 5 seater serial number, I bought my red 5 seater in late October and it's frame number 292.

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
If the donor receives brand new upgraded organs then I don't see much harm.
In scanning this thread I think I've seen only one person say that a service tech claimed that there is a different clutch with a new part number being used now. Nobody yet has produced the part number, and until I see it I am going to assume that Honda is using the same clutch mechanism as the original. I hope I'm wrong though if indeed these clutches are all not up to the job.

Reactions: tig
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I would bet its just bad o rings on the clutch shaft. probably cut during install of the clutch. if we all remember right the Rincon had a similar problem the fist year. oil pump would give you a problem with all gears.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It runs great, just slips and revs up 1500 to 2000 rpms higher when shifting into 1,3,5,R.

If it's not ready, I'd pick it up and run it for the trip you had planned. I would not miss a trip, and I don't recall anyone saying theirs left them completely stranded. Are you planning to ride with others or alone? If with others just bring a rope?

Waylan

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Must be the camo 5 seater serial number, I bought my red 5 seater in late October and it's frame number 292.

Thanks. What do some other VIN numbers look like - specifically the first several letters/numbers? Does anyone know how to decode the pioneer 1000 VIN?

Waylan

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
The last 4 #'s in my frame # is 1908 bought it Dec 31 it is a red one I don't know anything about what the #'s represent .

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015
Thanks. What do some other VIN numbers look like - specifically the first several letters/numbers? Does anyone know how to decode the pioneer 1000 VIN?

Waylan
Sorry I don't know how to decode the VIN but mine is, 1HFVE042XG4000292

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
Sorry I don't know how to decode the VIN but mine is, 1HFVE042XG4000292
I am going to change oil this week curious to see color of oil and filter. It will be my first change.i have 0issues so far knock on wood .I went to wind rock last weekend did fine. Rode on our farm a lot my first sxs .I hope Iam not disappointed .A lot of money for something not dependable.I have 2 Honda 4 wheelers no problems ever!

Last edited:
advertisement