Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Anyways. Reading through the service manual some tonight.
Figured I would post for those who are interested.

The clutch is controlled by oil pressure that runs down the shaft and into the clutches. Inside the clutch cage is a piston that when filled with oil, will compress the clutches causing them to engage. The pressure is controlled by the oil pump which runs through the valve body. Valves open and close directing pressure to the appropriate area. Ex. clutch 1 or 2. Valves are ultimately controled by the PCM which has the job of computing the proper gear for the current situation based on 2 dozen sensors around the unit.

Some areas of concern.
With the 700 line we have seen debris clog the valve system causing it to stay stuck in gear or not engage at all. In theory, this same issue could happen with the 1000 causing low pressure or other issues. Low pressure would mean a less than fully engaged clutch and that would lead to slipping.

Long to short. The final culprit could wind up to not be the clutch and more like a faulty oil pump, pressure valve, sensor, valve system, or stuck solenoid.

So in theory, if you want a more robust clutch. You need to up the oil pressure.
Who wants to give this a go?

Some have said a thicker oil will do this, I think that is far from the case as that would only increase lag time with the distance and small openings the oil needs to pass in a timely fashion.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo and sharp
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
thicker oil will raise it or high pressure oil pump gear. But this isn't a permanent fix lol. but this could be why some people have clutch problems then its gone!!

Reactions: CashMoney
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015

The clutch is controlled by oil pressure that runs down the shaft and into the clutches. Inside the clutch cage is a piston that when filled with oil, will compress the clutches causing them to engage. The pressure is controlled by the oil pump which runs through the valve body. Valves open and close directing pressure to the appropriate area. Ex. clutch 1 or 2. Valves are ultimately controled by the PCM which has the job of computing the proper gear for the current situation based on 2 dozen sensors around the unit.

Some areas of concern.
With the 700 line we have seen debris clog the valve system causing it to stay stuck in gear or not engage at all. In theory, this same issue could happen with the 1000 causing low pressure or other issues. Low pressure would mean a less than fully engaged clutch and that would lead to slipping.

Long to short. The final culprit could wind up to not be the clutch and more like a faulty oil pump, pressure valve, sensor, valve system, or stuck solenoid.

So in theory, if you want a more robust clutch. You need to up the oil pressure.
Good luck.
That makes alot of sense. My last issue after my clutch was replaced was when I was stuck, it was trying to shift out of gear and the oil light came on once. (I believe I read the fix was noted in this forum as the ground)

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
That makes alot of sense. My last issue after my clutch was replaced was when I was stuck, it was trying to shift out of gear and the oil light came on once. (I believe I read the fix was noted in this forum as the ground)
what do u mean shift out of gear

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
thicker oil will raise it or high pressure oil pump gear. But this isn't a permanent fix lol. but this could be why some people have clutch problems then its gone!!
You also want to decrease lag time and increase volume to the clutches. Looking at the path and the small oil ports/tubes. A thicker oil may hinder it even more. Pressure may be higher at the pump but not inside the clutch!
I'm no expert, but I would think a thinner oil with a better pump would be best for this example.

But honestly, I haven't a clue.. lol.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida

Some areas of concern.

Good luck.

My dealer told me the other day tell were working on getting the oil pressure readings to honda so honda could tell them what to do next. I just got my manual the other day and seen the 2 pressure switch symbols for the inter workings of the clutch fluid exchange.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Finally figured out my issue. Water in the gas. 3 weeks ago I went thru a pretty deep hole. Must of got water in the gas. And or gas the dealer put in last week when test riding might of had water in it.
Air filter looks good.
Tank venting is good.
Drained the tank. Found more water then gas. Very fishy.
Filled it up at the gas station about 5 miles away. Let it idle all the way home. Took it off the trailer. Ran it for awhile.

Engine is back to normal.

bad news. With all the power back. Back to square one. Clutch slipping like crazy

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fyi, the night I toasted my clutch, I was taking it back to my truck and my friend following us flagged us down. He told me he could see sparks coming out from underneath it. He said it looked like someone was flicking cigarettes underneath it.
You could have had some barbed wire or something metal that hung up under it for a second then it flew off. Just a guess

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's a wet clutch so that seems unlikely.

Could they have been electrical sparks?

If it were electrical sparks it could lend itself to the notion that an electrical fault that was mentioned in an earlier post caused it.

What accessories you got? @Serial_Fordicator

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sparks were most likely from some kind of electrical short or your buddy needs his eyes checked

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thought, when I bought my 1000, I had the dealer include my 30's on the deal. It did not have the lift on it then, but they did mount them on the stock wheels for me and put them on before I came to pick it up. Does that mean I'll be fine to bring it back to that dealer if my clutches give up? I know they're prolly gunna blame it on the tires, but can I argue that the dealer put them on?

Guess I could find some non-deluxe tires/wheels for cheap if I need to, but had rather not when the time comes for repairs.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got my factory wheels and tires if you need to borrow them @amc019

Reactions: amc019
UTRider

UTRider

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2016
Pleasant Grove, UT
I had a great weekend ride so i will gladly share. IView attachment 11042 did a 102 miler in the mojave desert on saturday. no issues at all. machine ran so good. i use lucas addative to fuel 2 oz per tank and noticed 24 mpg on my trip. i am very happy with this . i now have 530 miles on my SXS.
Have you had it up north on the Paiute trail yet? I'm buying mine this month and can't wait to get it down there this summer. We're planning on doing Sand Hollow in April and then an entire week on the Paiute this summer.

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda just called and said that clutch pack with r 1,3,5 gears are on critical backorder. So Honda told my dealer they could get what parts they need off a new one in stock. Looking to get it back tommorrow. I'm pretty happy with Honda willing to do what it takes so I can make my riding trip next week.

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you had it up north on the Paiute trail yet? I'm buying mine this month and can't wait to get it down there this summer. We're planning on doing Sand Hollow in April and then an entire week on the Paiute this summer.
when i purchased it in October 2015 i took it up to my mountain property above Salina creek and rode for the break in period for a day . i can't wait any longer for the snow to melt as i have some serious riding waiting for me this spring and summer. rode some of the arapeen trail system on skyline. 1000's of miles up there .

Reactions: UTRider
advertisement