P1000 Clutches burnt up

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
OK I'll drain the gas.

Check the air filter.

Check the tank is venting properly.

What's the quickest way to drain the gas?

check the connector on the top of the tank... a couple pins go to the fuel sender and a couple go to the pump. since it will only kick on the pump for a second or two if the bike isnt running, you'll need to find those pins and hook up your own power source. run a rubber hose from the outlet to a gas jug and apply power. it will pump out the fuel fairly quickly.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Does honda warranty the burn up clutches?

Yes

Just got off the phone with a friend at honda

We all knew they are on backorder. The date is mid to late march.

My dealer has 3 more in there for burnt clutches. 2 are almost back together the 3rd has to wait till the clutches come off backorder.
I'm to bring mine in at me leisure he said. But it's pretty much hurry up and wait

Reactions: Stauvo and scott
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Does honda warranty the burn up clutches?
Found this on facebook in the Honda Pioneer riders forum. I just off the phone with two different dealership. Food for thought, they told me that clutches are considered a normal wear items by honda and it's not covered under warranty. Also one service manger said he was replacing clutches in one and that just the parts were 800.00 not counting labor and that the motor has to come out of the frame. Do the math. They said run gen 4 oil from honda and nothing else. Also, the guy who burnt the clutches, was asked how he was riding in sand and such? I leave it, in high and go. They asked him, did you read the manuel? Use lower gear for tough terrain. The service manger did say that he was hoping American honda to show a little goodwill.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Found this on facebook in the Honda Pioneer riders forum. I just off the phone with two different dealership. Food for thought, they told me that clutches are considered a normal wear items by honda and it's not covered under warranty. Also one service manger said he was replacing clutches in one and that just the parts were 800.00 not counting labor and that the motor has to come out of the frame. Do the math. They said run gen 4 oil from honda and nothing else. Also, the guy who burnt the clutches, was asked how he was riding in sand and such? I leave it, in high and go. They asked him, did you read the manuel? Use lower gear for tough terrain. The service manger did say that he was hoping American honda to show a little goodwill.
That's why I asked. I think he is wrong tho.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haven't heard anyone but him say the clutch was normal wear and tear and not covered. I believe his dealership could be double dipping.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
$800 + Labor.
That is all wrong... I will pray for anyone who bought from that stealership.

Reactions: sharp and CashMoney
M

Millerhunts

Mar 1, 2016
Baton Rouge
Went on a ride two weeks ago and clutches started slipping in 1,3,5,R. Rode around a few times since then and they were still slipping. Crank it up earlier and still slipping. Hook up trailer to get out of back yard and bring in to dealer and they stop slipping. I unhooked trailer and rode around neighborhood. No slipping at all. WTF.

Reactions: Scooterchris
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went on a ride two weeks ago and clutches started slipping in 1,3,5,R. Rode around a few times since then and they were still slipping. Crank it up earlier and still slipping. Hook up trailer to get out of back yard and bring in to dealer and they stop slipping. I unhooked trailer and rode around neighborhood. No slipping at all. WTF.
Good question mine did it for two days. Everytime I tried it it slipped. Got it home and hasn't slipped since. Doesn't make sence. It's slipped for 50 miles of weekend riding. Just did my first service and it is still fine.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I'm wondering if you guys had something get between the oring on the piston or something that opens and closes the clutches? That would probably make it slip and could explain why it went away

advertisement
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Looks like there might something goofy going on. The ground under the drivers seat may be loose. You can follow the ground cable on the engine forward to the bolt. Its difficult to get too, its between the frame and plastic panel holding the computer. I cut a hole in the panel on mine. Mine was tight. Also looks like many of the guys with clutch problems are in the South East where many of the riding areas are difficult with lots of slow sections and some in deep water and mud. I bought a Yamaha YXZ for the fast desert and sand wash rides. It is geared real high and you have to be going at least 6 mph on the easy stuff and about 11 mph on the hills to avoid bogging the engine. Some of the guys are slipping the clutch at high rpm with lots of failures. If I get to a washed out section that may require clutch damage to get through I turn around. My buddy Robert is from Mississippi and he said where lived all they had is lots of creek beds to ride. Sure would like Honda to make a Highlifter kind of mud model. I need the low gearing with 30's or 32's and high ground clearance for some of our rock crawling riding areas.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
No I was gonna run down there last night. I had some free time so I took my pioneer around the block for a little stroll. Here's the bad that happened

I'm pretty upset right now. Don't know what I did .

Monday night after installing my winch. I started putting bellows on the diffs.
Had a 8 ft piece of vent line for the fuel tank and sub trans. Each end of the line was connected cause I was measuring the length etc. And wasn't planning on running it. Well......I forgot to unplug them when I went for a spin yesterday. So for about 40 seconds the pressure from the sub trans was flowing into the gas tank vent line. I'm totally upset because I have a trip planned this weekend. Now after that happened. It cranks up and idles fine. Drives and is very sluggish. When I'm at 30 mph and floor it. The thing bogs .

What does it sound like. Flood air filter or debris in the fuel tank vent line?
Fyi, the night I toasted my clutch, I was taking it back to my truck and my friend following us flagged us down. He told me he could see sparks coming out from underneath it. He said it looked like someone was flicking cigarettes underneath it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Fyi, the night I toasted my clutch, I was taking it back to my truck and my friend following us flagged us down. He told me he could see sparks coming out from underneath it. He said it looked like someone was flicking cigarettes underneath it.
Now that is confusing... Hum... IDK.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Sparks wouldn't be noticeable during the day time. Good info. I'm sure Honda like all the manufacturers watch all the forums so any info we have should be helpful. I'm still thinking about installing a portal gear set on mine for the next winter snow riding. I need the ground clearance and also need 30 inch tires run at 2 psi.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
I'm guessing it was toasting the remaining clutch disks lol

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Here is the best video I could get, 241 miles on the SXS, mild acceleration note the camera shake and shudder of the entire machine on take off, then the RPM spikes into 3rd & 5th especially into 5th gear at 24 mph. I never noticed this until after I changed the oil.

That video is flat florida driving (no hills). If I get on it it shifts better, but I don't want to drive all out all the time. I'm still waiting for the dealer to fix it. Get the phone number for Honda Motorcycle division today. Let the games begin!!

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Seems like we ought to be documenting serial numbers of affected units. Those that have had a clutch slipping problem, please post your model and serial number. Maybe that will paint some sort of picture for us.

need to start another thread with #'s only!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Tie strap on the fuel vent? Bellows? I don't understand. You definitely can't put a bellow on the fuel vent line
no bellow on fuel vent but Im saying!! when u use bellows on the other items like diffs u don't have to worry about things like vent lines being kinked or closed etc.

Reactions: Scooterchris
advertisement