They're telling me. Honda is replacing the whole thing

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Not being rude here .

It's been stated and I've verified it. It's a new updated clutch pack . New product number
Ok I heard about that but I haven't heard anything definitive till now thanks!! So with that having been said why are some being ridden real hard and no problems? Does tha mean they have units out there that already had the new clutch pack installed if so how can u tell if it's been done. I've seen instances in the past from other manufactures that add something to the serial number like a star at the end or something! I've also seen where Suzuki had dealers do changes like this then they punched a dot at the end of the serial number to mark that it had been done and they register it with Suzuki! If Honda knows there is a problem then they should be doing a recall. What about the poor sucker that drives real gentle then at 600 miles and no warranty? That's what ford did with the 6.0 lyrics fords!! On the other hand Chevrolet had injector problems and made it known and warranties parts and labor 200k, I hope Honda does this right!!! I'll never drive a FORD again in this lifetime!!

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Ok I heard about that but I haven't heard anything definitive till now thanks!! So with that having been said why are some being ridden real hard and no problems? Does tha mean they have units out there that already had the new clutch pack installed if so how can u tell if it's been done. I've seen instances in the past from other manufactures that add something to the serial number like a star at the end or something! I've also seen where Suzuki had dealers do changes like this then they punched a dot at the end of the serial number to mark that it had been done and they register it with Suzuki! If Honda knows there is a problem then they should be doing a recall. What about the poor sucker that drives real gentle then at 600 miles and no warranty? That's what ford did with the 6.0 lyrics fords!! On the other hand Chevrolet had injector problems and made it known and warranties parts and labor 200k, I hope Honda does this right!!! I'll never drive a FORD again in this lifetime!!

My opinion is honda had a issue thru a certain date range. Like mine. The first massive initial release. All those guys that own one of those when they get into a tight spot it will slip the clutch. Whether it be 5 miles or 500. That's something an initial run pioneer owner will have to worry about. I believe once honda found out there issue. They changed to the upgraded clutch pack like nothing happened. No stars or dots needed on the vin cause honda does. NOT want to lose sales. Eventually. ...........eventually everyone of the "INTIAL" units WILL fail. Now hopefully honda is tracking the units they know are bad and when they fail honor the clutch fixed under warranty no matter the time frame. Just like how the lottery knows who is gonna win. but in this case they know the units that are goofed up

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
For those with burnt clutches, thanks for field testing the bike for those of us sitting on the fence. I will not buy mine until I a persuaded Honda has the problems with this bike resolved.

M

Mountie

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
West By God....
Let me pose a question....just thinking out loud.
Red P1k's were the first off the line to my understanding, correct? Does anyone have a White, Silver, or Camo with this issue? If so, this is a horrible theory, but if not then maybe there was a problem early in the build phase that was corrected.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
My opinion is honda had a issue thru a certain date range. Like mine. The first massive initial release. All those guys that own one of those when they get into a tight spot it will slip the clutch. Whether it be 5 miles or 500. That's something an initial run pioneer owner will have to worry about. I believe once honda found out there issue. They changed to the upgraded clutch pack like nothing happened. No stars or dots needed on the vin cause honda does. NOT want to lose sales. Eventually. ...........eventually everyone of the "INTIAL" units WILL fail. Now hopefully honda is tracking the units they know are bad and when they fail honor the clutch fixed under warranty no matter the time frame. Just like how the lottery knows who is gonna win. but in this case they know the units that are goofed up
I totally agree!! The only thing different would be that I wish if they were going to totally stand behind it then they should announce that if u are this serial number range u have a lifetime warranty on your first clutch and we would be hi giving each other!! Also we would be telling everyone how good Honda is. The only reason I am upset is because they are leaving us in the dark on who is effected? Maybe they like the fact that it's not known knowledge and they are selling a lot of warranties by not saying it will be covered!! In all actuallity they will prob make money or could make money on this mistake! It probhibly isn't hurting the majority of sales just upsetting people once they find out. I love Honda always have!! I resent the fact that I can't know if mine is one of the ones with problems or not until it happens I slapped down a check for $17k I shouldn't have to be worrying about a problem that they know but don't want to say! I would be fine with Honda saying you are effected but we won't replace till something happens!! It's still fresh maybe they need time to get things together then will do a recall or at least inform effected customers.

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I totally agree!! The only thing different would be that I wish if they were going to totally stand behind it then they should announce that if u are this serial number range u have a lifetime warranty on your first clutch and we would be hi giving each other!! Also we would be telling everyone how good Honda is. The only reason I am upset is because they are leaving us in the dark on who is effected? Maybe they like the fact that it's not known knowledge and they are selling a lot of warranties by not saying it will be covered!! In all actuallity they will prob make money or could make money on this mistake! It probhibly isn't hurting the majority of sales just upsetting people once they find out. I love Honda always have!! I resent the fact that I can't know if mine is one of the ones with problems or not until it happens I slapped down a check for $17k I shouldn't have to be worrying about a problem that they know but don't want to say! I would be fine with Honda saying you are effected but we won't replace till something happens!! It's still fresh maybe they need time to get things together then will do a recall or at least inform effected customers.

That's not gonna happen. Recalls for a big company don't work like that. No one has been injured nothing bad has happened.
Honda will slide it under the rug and do exactly what I said.
I've seen 5 other red ones. Mine makes 6

Reactions: Serial_Fordicator
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up my Red P1K on 10/22/15. It was surely one of the first few anyway. No problems at all. My dealer offered free first service including fluids and filters so I had them do it. I was a bit early, under 100 miles, maybe 85 or so. I have worked this machine pulling and hauling several heavy loads and up pretty good grades. Again no problems at all, if anything take off is smoother and stronger now than when it was new. The feeling is like the clutch plates are mated rather than new. I have just over 200 miles on it now and I am not running Honda conventional oils.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I picked up my Red P1K on 10/22/15. It was surely one of the first few anyway. No problems at all. My dealer offered free first service including fluids and filters so I had them do it. I was a bit early, under 100 miles, maybe 85 or so. I have worked this machine pulling and hauling several heavy loads and up pretty good grades. Again no problems at all, if anything take off is smoother and stronger now than when it was new. The feeling is like the clutch plates are mated rather than new. I have just over 200 miles on it now and I am not running Honda conventional oils.

We've heard the same thing from several people already. Give it time. It will happen

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Got the call today they said my clutch pack was toast. And that they were on backorder. Keep
I expected to here they were on backorder as Honda most likely did not plan on seeing any issues. A burnt clutch is not common in their current DCT lines. If there is a updated part Honda would need design, sourcing, and production time. This would not be a short process.

advertisement
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We've heard the same thing from several people already. Give it time. It will happen

Picked mine up 10/28 first one at dealer and almost certain one of the first in WI. Hauled loads like this forward,backwards, over hills, down hills, around hills and thru the snow. Low gear manual,auto and sometimes in high manual.

So the burnt clutch issue that has happened to "several people" will happen to mine also? I just need to give it time? Frame [HASHTAG]#513[/HASHTAG], maybe the updated clutch packs started at [HASHTAG]#500[/HASHTAG]!!

20160106 165201 jpg8712

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Picked mine up 10/28 first one at dealer and almost certain one of the first in WI. Hauled loads like this forward,backwards, over hills, down hills, around hills and thru the snow. Low gear manual,auto and sometimes in high manual.

So the burnt clutch issue that has happened to "several people" will happen to mine also? I just need to give it time? Frame [HASHTAG]#513[/HASHTAG], maybe the updated clutch packs started at [HASHTAG]#500[/HASHTAG]!!

View attachment 11576
No I don't think so my last 6 VIN# is 002143 made on 11/9/15 purchased on 12/22/15. So that should be the 2,143rd unit to roll off the line. I first noticed the delayed shifting mid February after 6 weeks of ownership and 170 miles approx. Nothing became really noticeable until I changed the oil on Feb 13th.

J

jokerperry

Nov 16, 2015
Alberta Canada
Let me pose a question....just thinking out loud.
Red P1k's were the first off the line to my understanding, correct? Does anyone have a White, Silver, or Camo with this issue? If so, this is a horrible theory, but if not then maybe there was a problem early in the build phase that was corrected.
I have the white 3 seater and mines going to the shop Saturday for my clutch issues .

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To the people who have "burnt clutch issues": WHAT IS YOUR VIN #?

If this was a "batch" issue was it the first 1000,5000 10,000? at least it would give us an idea. Instead of speculating that its driver error, too big of tires, too deep of mud, what color is your oil? what does the oil smell like? What mode were you in? How many people? which hand were you driving with? which hand do you wipe your ass with, etc etc etc......We can easily narrow this down by VIN #'s and failures, but remember not every Pioneer 1000 owner in the world is on this forum!! How many people on this forum own 1000's how many have has clutch issues?

Who's the largest Honda SxS dealer in the country?, give them a call have they been getting customers with issues?

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
I purchased mine in early November, It's obviously red as per the avatar. It's in the shop for clutches and I have to cancel my trip I planned for three months to go next week with my kids to Boggs And Boulders to make memories for their spring break. All the kids will remember is how their Honda let them down. This is a shame.

Reactions: Stauvo
HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer called today and said they are waiting on Honda to give the go ahead to take a transmission out of one they have in stock and put it in mine since they are on backorder and I have a riding trip planned next week.

Reactions: CashMoney
jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Thanks for sharing, I will call the dealership in the morning and encourage the same here.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With temps in the 50's the Northern members will be getting some mud time on there machines real soon. There were a hand full of of p-1000's sold up here October through Jan.

R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought In November. Vin 001432. Been pushing it hard it deep snow and have no clutch issues.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs Where are all the insiders who pumped us full of all the P1K info when it was being released? @HondaProKevin? @Alexa? Have their dealerships seen issues? Have they been told to stay off the forums?

Hell, I remember Wayne Lambert (Honda SxS engineer) posted on here back in June when the 1000 was announced quoting another "past member" who wanted him fired after the release of the 500.

Last edited:
advertisement