P1000 Clutches burnt up

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Seems like we ought to be documenting serial numbers of affected units. Those that have had a clutch slipping problem, please post your model and serial number. Maybe that will paint some sort of picture for us.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Seems like we ought to be documenting serial numbers of affected units. Those that have had a clutch slipping problem, please post your model and serial number. Maybe that will paint some sort of picture for us.
New thread

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I don't think that will be the case simply because how does apple creek have 950 hard working miles on his and no problems unless his hard working miles really aren't! Im leaning towards the fact that early models had a bad part then they were changed and now good to go or some were assembled wrong washer in wrong place or something like that effecting stack height or air gap on the clutch pack causing static pressure to be a lot less than it was suppose to be. WHY SOME AND NOT OTHERS Jakal rides his but doesn't abuse it and he is having problems and I guarantee it wasn't from abuse. With that having been said u should be able to abuse them and not have clutches go bad in 50-100 miles be honest with ya I think this is good news. I think they are really trying to figure out what ones came off the line during a certain time frame and might have a recall on those units maybe! who knows
I'm with you on this.

I know if mine was going to s*** the bed it would have been saturday night. We had it stuck in snow so deep it stalled my Warn 4500lb winch out and that was with only a couple wraps on the drum. Just an hour before that we were on a hill so steep in low range it struggled to get started in first. Once it got some rpm up from moving it was fine. No slipping either time though and everythings still shifting perfectly at all throttle positions.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmmm. What happened to all of the everyone stating operator error?

I'm not sure what the issue is, sooner or later it will be figured out.

I'll call it "operator error", Pioneer operator, assembly line operator, ECU programming operator, CAD software operator. Somewhere an operator screwed the pooch, still think it's a mix.

I was hard on my 700 but took care of it, others broke theirs OFTEN.

Common sense is a super power these days and some people can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer.

Last edited:
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Didn't you already sell yours?
Yeah, I also said that I'd probably come back and check in from time to time. A honda rep called me the other day and left a voicemail. I was busy working on installing a led lightbar and haven't returned the call yet. Has anyone else received a call from honda?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Got over 2,000 miles on mine. Did a 40 mile rock section in low range but kept it above 3 mph so I was off the clutch. I'm extra careful in reverse. Just like driving my RZR 900 I give it enough throttle to get it moving right away. I expect many clutch failures are from large tires and inching along under 3 mph. Lots of riding areas have tough super low speed sections especially in the south east. I'm running 28 inch tires. I would like a much lower low range and also the reverse gear too. The RZR 1000 and Maverick 1000 both have enough power to smoke the belt when stuck real good. Lots of belt smoke on some of our rides but the belts seem to take a lot of smoking abuse without breaking or hour glassing. Same with the Pioneer 1000 it has lots of power but your not going to get a smoke warning when burning the clutch. Its going to be interesting to see if Honda has a clutch problem or just too high gearing for hard use and large tires. I would like to know the number of failures and how many are sold. My frame number is 0024.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
great!!! bet we find something with that idea!!

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Got over 2,000 miles on mine. Did a 40 mile rock section in low range but kept it above 3 mph so I was off the clutch. I'm extra careful in reverse. Just like driving my RZR 900 I give it enough throttle to get it moving right away. I expect many clutch failures are from large tires and inching along under 3 mph. Lots of riding areas have tough super low speed sections especially in the south east. I'm running 28 inch tires. I would like a much lower low range and also the reverse gear too. The RZR 1000 and Maverick 1000 both have enough power to smoke the belt when stuck real good. Lots of belt smoke on some of our rides but the belts seem to take a lot of smoking abuse without breaking or hour glassing. Same with the Pioneer 1000 it has lots of power but your not going to get a smoke warning when burning the clutch. Its going to be interesting to see if Honda has a clutch problem or just too high gearing for hard use and large tires. I would like to know the number of failures and how many are sold. My frame number is 0024.
can u tell us what your oil looks like when its time to change it does it look black at the end of 300 miles?

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
who has the most miles when clutch problems started ( we have see n early clutch problems what about late ones) I want to know as I'm sure everyone else does as well that if I don't have a problem by a certain point then I wont at all. Anyone with burnt clutches after a couple hundred miles?

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will point out I had my Pioneer back to dealers twice before 100 miles. It definitely wasn't from abuse. It was directly related to poor assemble from the factory. I did the first service myself but really didn't notice any smell from the oil. I did notice the oil was dark but not really unusual for the break in period. I haven't had any issues since the last fix but have to admit I am holding my breath. We have very difficult terrain here so there are times when I will put stress on the Pioneer but I don't abuse it more than it should be. I have rode atv's since the 90's. I have broke parts but usually from farm work not just trail riding.

K

KD_Pioneer1k5

Feb 15, 2016
Wv
I have been waiting to get one of these buggies. I took the wife and kids today to test drive the 1000-5. Not really getting on the throttle but a smooth acceleration the shifting is very hard. I drove one by my self at a different dealer but it didn't shift nearly as hard. Is the hard shifting normal? Today when I did accelerate hard the shifting was not as hard. ANY comments on this, and does it get easier with time?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been waiting to get one of these buggies. I took the wife and kids today to test drive the 1000-5. Not really getting on the throttle but a smooth acceleration the shifting is very hard. I drove one by my self at a different dealer but it didn't shift nearly as hard. Is the hard shifting normal? Today when I did accelerate hard the shifting was not as hard. ANY comments on this, and does it get easier with time?
its normal. it gets smoother over time. shift firmness also varies with you riding/acceleration style.

Reactions: sharp
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I will point out I had my Pioneer back to dealers twice before 100 miles. It definitely wasn't from abuse. It was directly related to poor assemble from the factory. I did the first service myself but really didn't notice any smell from the oil. I did notice the oil was dark but not really unusual for the break in period. I haven't had any issues since the last fix but have to admit I am holding my breath. We have very difficult terrain here so there are times when I will put stress on the Pioneer but I don't abuse it more than it should be. I have rode atv's since the 90's. I have broke parts but usually from farm work not just trail riding.
guys are riding hard and oil is totally clean at 1st maintenance period? when u day poor assembly from the factory what do u mean did they say something was wrong or installed wrong can u elaborate on what they said and what they did please thanks

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
guys are riding hard and oil is totally clean at 1st maintenance period? when u day poor assembly from the factory what do u mean did they say something was wrong or installed wrong can u elaborate on what they said and what they did please thanks
Not sure about totally clean oil. My issues were from loose wiring on assembly. I found loose bolts and so did the dealer. The dealer even commented about assembly issues in SC. When the grounds were fixed my transmission problems stopped. Others having transmission problems seem to have other problems. I guess if some components are not assembled correctly then I wonder if other people may be having problems because of other poor assembly of parts.
I love the Pioneer and I chose it mostly because of Honda's reputation for quality. I was also looking at a Yamaha wolverine. If you look at this forum it is obvious there are transmission and wiring problems.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Not sure about totally clean oil. My issues were from loose wiring on assembly. I found loose bolts and so did the dealer. The dealer even commented about assembly issues in SC. When the grounds were fixed my transmission problems stopped. Others having transmission problems seem to have other problems. I guess if some components are not assembled correctly then I wonder if other people may be having problems because of other poor assembly of parts.
I love the Pioneer and I chose it mostly because of Honda's reputation for quality. I was also looking at a Yamaha wolverine. If you look at this forum it is obvious there are transmission and wiring problems.
I agree there are but ALL manufactures have problems at some point especially with new models!! how they stand behind with warranty recalls and repairs is what matters

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the call today they said my clutch pack was toast. And that they were on backorder. Keep
In mind my bike was fine before I took it in for the first service. I have a wolfpengap trip planned next week now I won't have my Honda to ride. So there is no telling how long it will be before I get it back.

advertisement