Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Did it smell burnt? So the engine oil would be affected by the clutches not sub transmission?
Didn't notice any odd oder but didn't think to either as I had not noticed any issues until after I completed the oil changes and even then it is a delayed shifting into 3rd and 5th gears. If i stand on the pedal takes off shifting through all 6 gears without delay. Only acts up during moderate driving.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't notice any odd oder but didn't think to either as I had not noticed any issues until after I completed the oil changes and even then it is a delayed shifting into 3rd and 5th gears. If i stand on the pedal takes off shifting through all 6 gears without delay. Only acts up during moderate driving.
Yours sounds to be acting different than the rest. Mine was slipping in 1st to take off then into 3 and 5 and also reverse. But it didn't matter if throttle was mashed all the way it would still slip into 3 and 5 it just wasn't as noticeable because rpm where so high to start with.

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Yours sounds to be acting different than the rest. Mine was slipping in 1st to take off then into 3 and 5 and also reverse. But it didn't matter if throttle was mashed all the way it would still slip into 3 and 5 it just wasn't as noticeable because rpm where so high to start with.

Mine is acting the same ad yours bud when it's slipping.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Here is the best video I could get, 241 miles on the SXS, mild acceleration note the camera shake and shudder of the entire machine on take off, then the RPM spikes into 3rd & 5th especially into 5th gear at 24 mph. I never noticed this until after I changed the oil.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
At 160 miles my oil was coal black doing my initial oil change for the engine and DCT. However the oil for the sub transmission was just like it came out of the bottle.
did u wait a little longer for initial oil change to go straight to synthetic?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
did u wait a little longer for initial oil change to go straight to synthetic?

No I had about 60 miles on it tinkering around with tires and mods etc. around the house. My first real trail ride was 100 miles over a day and a half with @Hondasxs pre running Royal Blue the end of January. Just happened to have 168 miles on it when I got home and that's when I changed it, no covert strategy just the way it worked out.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Here is the best video I could get, 241 miles on the SXS, mild acceleration note the camera shake and shudder of the entire machine on take off, then the RPM spikes into 3rd & 5th especially into 5th gear at 24 mph. I never noticed this until after I changed the oil.

I had no idea that u have had trouble with your clutch!!! where are u in the process with it being fixed or direct me to the spot so I can follow whats your thoughts?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I had no idea that u have had trouble with your clutch!!! where are u in the process with it being fixed or direct me to the spot so I can follow whats your thoughts?

I was trying to rule out everything, thinking I could re-initialize the clutch so it could re-learn the shift points etc. as I was of the opinion it is an electronic issue on the delayed shift. Then only after changing the oil did the shuddering start, (at least that I noticed) when I could make it do it over and over cold or warmed up I came to the conclusion something was not right. So I'm not upset or anything, its a new machine with different technology never applied to a SXS before. I am sure Honda will work the issue out and address any issues as they arise. Not sure it is a systemic issue that will eventually affect everyone or if just a group of machines that rolled out with something just not so-so that allows this to happen. I have not talked to the dealer just yet but I do not expect to have any issues I have several videos between 241 & 256 miles on this SXS showing the issue repeatedly from a slow roll to WFO , engine hot and cold it does it consistently. Been riding Hondas for over 40 years bought over 18 Honda ATV's & 2 SXS this is only the second time ever I needed warranty service last time was a 1983 ATC200X that had a weak shifting fork causing 3rd gear shift issues, they fixed it right up even knowing it was used strictly as a racing machine. So 33 years between warranty requests isn't too bad in my humble opinion. Anything mechanical can break or be broken simply a reality, just glad it happened within the first 60 days so it is covered and not a total failure 100 miles from no where.

As a post script I can even show it slipping in manual mode not just auto and sport that right there confirmed it wasn't PCM related but mechanical.

Reactions: dale5740
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
This scares me me!! Im not sure how these transmissions work yet I have a feeling that they use hydro pressure as static pressure for the clutches and if that is true then they need to adjust a rail pressure or something like that. Maybe it has something to do with spring pressure or even some sort of lock up system. But with bikes when they shutter like that it is normally from hot warped steels. Ive also seen them do it when they had an oiling problem and the clutches would get dry and hop so to speak. I also know with some bike clutches u need to be real careful continuing to ride because clutch fibers can clog up screen pickup filters and starve the motor for oil then rod bearings and mains go up!! I would say for anyone following keep a good eye on your oil color generally if it is nice and clean u don't have a problem!! Keep us informed Jackal thanks

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I wonder if it has something to do with a lock up type system that is rpm driven higher the rpm the more static pressure that would account for putting it to the floor and no problems

advertisement
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Jackal, this may be a silly question, but you did change both filters with the fluids didn't you?

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think his photos showed both filters - so I'm pretty sure he changed both.

@JACKAL, I didn't think they made the 200x in 1993. I had a 1986 model and I thought it was one of the last years of production?

Waylan

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I think his photos showed both filters - so I'm pretty sure he changed both.

@JACKAL, I didn't think they made the 200x in 1993. I had a 1986 model and I thought it was one of the last years of production?

Waylan
Shoot maybe it was 1983, on the 200X in fact I'm sure of it now thanks for reminding me I'm older than dirt LOL's

Yes I changed both filters when I changed the oil, not doing so is like wiping your butt before you poop.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That shutter is bad mine hasn't done that. Fixen to change my oil at 100 miles all report back

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just gonna video it and take it in. If they don't fix it. I'm gonna scream lemon law. I've took it up there for the same reason 3 times at that point.
I like many of you have been watching this issue very carefully. At this point I can't understand a dealer saying you need more proof of this problem. It seems everyday more owners are reporting the same/similar issues. I know some people have pointed out these issues may be isolated but when looking at this forum the chance that this problem is isolated seems to evaporate with each person who reports the problem. Come on Honda it is time to address the issue and fix the problem for all owners.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like many of you have been watching this issue very carefully. At this point I can't understand a dealer saying you need more proof of this problem. It seems everyday more owners are reporting the same/similar issues. I know some people have pointed out these issues may be isolated but when looking at this forum the chance that this problem is isolated seems to evaporate with each person who reports the problem. Come on Honda it is time to address the issue and fix the problem for all owners.
yep. It's obviously a systemic problem. and the silence from Honda is deafening. They need to put out a statement or some sort of acknowledgement of the issue.
what will most likely happen is they will quietly install more robust clutch baskets on the new machines coming off the line and any warranty claims that come in. and there won't be any acknowledgement that the original clutch baskets were s***e.

Reactions: dale5740
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I don't think that will be the case simply because how does apple creek have 950 hard working miles on his and no problems unless his hard working miles really aren't! Im leaning towards the fact that early models had a bad part then they were changed and now good to go or some were assembled wrong washer in wrong place or something like that effecting stack height or air gap on the clutch pack causing static pressure to be a lot less than it was suppose to be. WHY SOME AND NOT OTHERS Jakal rides his but doesn't abuse it and he is having problems and I guarantee it wasn't from abuse. With that having been said u should be able to abuse them and not have clutches go bad in 50-100 miles be honest with ya I think this is good news. I think they are really trying to figure out what ones came off the line during a certain time frame and might have a recall on those units maybe! who knows

advertisement