P1000 Clutches burnt up

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
ill ask for pictures, i would think honda would want them back for warranty claims from the manufacturer.

from the sounds of things, most are cooking at low speed in 1st.

ya know even though its underpowered, this is where the 680 power plant shined. at low speeds the torque converter could slip and not hurt anything.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
The mechanic I went to said they did. He did say it was very hard to get back in and required 2 people
I don't know of one stealership in the world that would say IT WAS EASY PEASY NO PROBLEM. unless u were friends etc especially if he new the info was going on this site.

Reactions: Scooterchris
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if the clutches are under that large round cover right behind/below the driver's seat? It's difficult to determine based on the parts fiche.

Can anyone with the service manual tell where the clutches are and what it looks like is necessary to change them out?

Thanks,

Waylan

Reactions: itsleo and dale5740
itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
just stopped by the sealership for oil and filters and talked to the service manager. says he has his first one in for clutches right now. 1-3-5 set. i shared what all i knew from on here. he says they are making him jump through hoops so far.

That's my SXS they are talking about at Honda of Melbourne.

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took mine in for first service. I told them about the extreme shuddering, they are gonna look at it. They said would be the first with a stated problem. Shuddered so bad almost didn't load up on the trailer.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone tried the ECU reset procedure in the manual? The 700 learned your driving style, so does the 1000 maybe it needs to be reset to learn your habits.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just thought about this, you guys coming from Polaris that constantly blip the throttle to keep the clutch engaged/engine braking functioning?

Honestly not really sure why the Polaris owners CONSTANTLY blip the gas.

It may be confusing the ECU?

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Just thought about this, you guys coming from Polaris that constantly blip the throttle to keep the clutch engaged/engine braking functioning?

Can you explain how to do this procedure please. I'm interested in resetting

advertisement
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Could it be a technique performed to keep clutch speed just high enough so they do not get that lag and jerk when pressing peddle under normal riding conditions? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scooterchris
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could it be a technique performed to keep clutch speed just high enough so they do not get that lag and jerk when pressing peddle under normal riding conditions? Just a thought.
Not sure, Only ever owned a Sportsman and for a short time, burnt belts, and electrical problems made sure it was sold quickly.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just stopped by the sealership for oil and filters and talked to the service manager. says he has his first one in for clutches right now. 1-3-5 set. i shared what all i knew from on here. he says they are making him jump through hoops so far.
making hem jump threw hoops meaning ?

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure, Only ever owned a Sportsman and for a short time, burnt belts, and electrical problems made sure it was sold quickly.
I have a good story about my sisters new 96' 500 sportsman and my lack of knowledge to shift into "Low":) I over heated clutches, burned up the belt and shrink wrapped the cover tightly around said hot clutch. Expensive learning curve.:(

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Reactions: ohanacreek
HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok so i dropped the P1000 off thursday to get the first service. Well pick it up just a little while ago and low and behold now 1st and 3rd gear and reverse is slipping so bad it almost hits the rev limiter before it moves. So i brought it back up there they are gonna call Honda tech first thing Tuesday morning.Im going to Wolfpen gap in 2 weeks i sure as hell hope to have it back in time. Needless to say I'm not happy with Honda right now at all.

J

jokerperry

Nov 16, 2015
Alberta Canada
Took my 3 seater out today it has 250 km on it and the transmission is slipping real bad. 5000 RPMs just to move it and then it jumps same in reverse.I called my dealer when I got home bringing it in next week.

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok so i dropped the P1000 off thursday to get the first service. Well pick it up just a little while ago and low and behold now 1st and 3rd gear and reverse is slipping so bad it almost hits the rev limiter before it moves. So i brought it back up there they are gonna call Honda tech first thing Tuesday morning.Im going to Wolfpen gap in 2 weeks i sure as hell hope to have it back in time. Needless to say I'm not happy with Honda right now at all.

J

jokerperry

Nov 16, 2015
Alberta Canada
Sounds like the same problem I'm having.

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anybody got there's fixed yet? What all
Did Honda fix and how long did it take?

advertisement