P1000 Clutches burnt up

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
How long has your been at Seminole? Sounds like its a race you see hows gets fixed first.

Have you tried Mud Muckers atv park in Bunnell yet?

Been there since last monday. Called today they said they were having a hard time getting ahold of honda. Said they were talking to the service manager about loading 4 or 5 of the guys up and riding it in there field to get it to duplicate the issue.

I said oh hell no. You beating on my machine.

I called honda. They told me they would get in touch with seminole and see what's going on. You see its the run around game.
Almost to my last nerve with it

A

aquatic1998

Dec 23, 2015
Mud muckers is back open in april.
Check out my Facebook group I have it posted there.

"Florida utv/atv riding & adventures "
Oh nice is it the same two guys that are doing it and is it in the same spot. Last I heard the owner they were leasing the property from said they would have to find another place. That place was always fun , had some crazy mud there.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Oh nice is it the same two guys that are doing it and is it in the same spot. Last I heard the owner they were leasing the property from said they would have to find another place. That place was always fun , had some crazy mud there.

I believe same guy. Different spot. Owner has ranger on 40's
Was told to bring a snorkel if I go lol

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
People are now going from Polaris to Honda back to Polaris. Time for Honda to get this one figured out.

Some are working their 1000's very hard with no problems and others are not doing much but burning clutches. I wondered where the problem lies?

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Called the dealer just now and they said they need to figure out where to get the line pressures that honda wants so they're wait for Honda to call back. I get my manual this week hopefully. They're telling me the manual isn't clear on what ports to get the clutch line pressures on. Something doesn't sound right!!

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Called the dealer just now and they said they need to figure out where to get the line pressures that honda wants so they're wait for Honda to call back. I get my manual this week hopefully. They're telling me the manual isn't clear on what ports to get the clutch line pressures on. Something doesn't sound right!!

OK here's what seminoles main mechanic and service manager are telling me.

Straight from the service managers mouth. HONDA knows theirs a clutch issue.
They have issued a upgraded clutch pack for p1000's having clutch slipping issues.

Now with that being said. . Like in my situation it only seems to slip when I got people on the buggy and we've been riding for a bit. So......he stresses. Make sure if your having a problem use your cell phone and video the issue. Have proof when you go in. So theirs no run around on getting it fixed. Honda will surely fix it quickly he said with there updated clutch pack assembly.

General things he has seen when the clutch is slipping.
Smell: the will be a burnt kinda smell when you take the dipstick out to check the oil on the dct.

Oil: will be black or have a dark tint to it.

He said the 3 he has seen has been the first clutch that everyone is talking about but honda replaces the whole unit.

Now he said you can overheat the clutch most likely what I did he's telling me. My oil is fresh/crystal clear but has a kinda burnt smell to it. But he says they can't get it to duplicate what it was doing to me at the time.

So he told me to take it and ride it. If it doesn't slip again then I'm good. If it does just video it slipping and he will gladly get it swapped out.
Sad I have to do that but I understand were he's coming from. Someone has to pay for the labor to take it apart and check to make sure everything is good.
He did mention if I was super worried about it he did say if I wanted he would take it apart. But.....if all was good the labor would be on me.
I said I'll pick it up tomorrow. So we will see how it goes

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
hell have them call the mechanic at honda of covington.... 985-892-9730... the head mechanic rocks there

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
Honda avertises the 1000 will carry 1000lbs or pull 2000 lbs ,one would think that the clutches would be durable.Surely Honda tested these machines to perform with 4 or 5 adults onboard.I have had good success with Honda in the past on performance and durability . I hope they don't let us down it seems they would have a lot at stake here not fix and resolve the this or any other issue with machine.i own new 1000 and 2 Honda 4 wheelers and a new Honda Pilot automobile. 2 Hondas before this pilot.I do see some poor quality, lower standards than I would expect from Honda on the 1000.With all this said I still like it it is a good machine .Just hope Honda steps up to do what is right to keep a good name and the best product on the market.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
i was in alabama on some steeper hills when mine burnt up... i looked at the old ones and they were f===ed ... mine was a nice delay in shifts ... give them time they will fix it
so u have any pics of the clutches? and if u had to pay for it what would it have cost u?

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
OK here's what seminoles main mechanic and service manager are telling me.

Straight from the service managers mouth. HONDA knows theirs a clutch issue.
They have issued a upgraded clutch pack for p1000's having clutch slipping issues.

Now with that being said. . Like in my situation it only seems to slip when I got people on the buggy and we've been riding for a bit. So......he stresses. Make sure if your having a problem use your cell phone and video the issue. Have proof when you go in. So theirs no run around on getting it fixed. Honda will surely fix it quickly he said with there updated clutch pack assembly.

General things he has seen when the clutch is slipping.
Smell: the will be a burnt kinda smell when you take the dipstick out to check the oil on the dct.

Oil: will be black or have a dark tint to it.

He said the 3 he has seen has been the first clutch that everyone is talking about but honda replaces the whole unit.

Now he said you can overheat the clutch most likely what I did he's telling me. My oil is fresh/crystal clear but has a kinda burnt smell to it. But he says they can't get it to duplicate what it was doing to me at the time.

So he told me to take it and ride it. If it doesn't slip again then I'm good. If it does just video it slipping and he will gladly get it swapped out.
Sad I have to do that but I understand were he's coming from. Someone has to pay for the labor to take it apart and check to make sure everything is good.
He did mention if I was super worried about it he did say if I wanted he would take it apart. But.....if all was good the labor would be on me.
I said I'll pick it up tomorrow. So we will see how it goes
what are the labor costs or hours that it takes

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
anyone have any pics of the burn clutches?

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
what are the labor costs or hours that it takes

I don't know buddy he didn't say.

Drove the machine around my neighbor hood last night. Seems to be shifting good right now we will see tho. No slipping yet

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
updated clutch pack assembly? wonder if that means stiffer clutch springs more static pressure? It might not have clutch spring probably hydraulic. Someone just ordered the new service Manuel. Ive been working on clutches on all sorts of street bikes for years clutch work is way over rated by mechanics and dealers everywhere. Now this is a dual clutch deal so a little bit more trouble but Im willing to bet the biggest deal here is to access the clutch packs what do u have to take off the machine. Im very interested and can't wait to see the service Manuel. to be honest there isn't a clutch out there that i wouldn't recommend anyone working themselves that I have come across a lot easier than the majority thinks to replace clutch packs. This might be something different but I doubt it!!!!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
didn't look to see who posted it but whoever posted change the oil and see if that fixes it is being told lies changing oil will never fix a clutch slip problem ever!!!!! Also in most situations burn clutch packs can do way more damage if they shred and clog up filter then u are taking out the crank and rods. so If they start slipping don't keep riding!!!!!!

Reactions: joeymt33
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone know if the clutch packs can be changed with the engine/tranny still in the vehicle?

Waylan

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Anyone know if the clutch packs can be changed with the engine/tranny still in the vehicle?

Waylan

The mechanic I went to said they did. He did say it was very hard to get back in and required 2 people

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
just stopped by the sealership for oil and filters and talked to the service manager. says he has his first one in for clutches right now. 1-3-5 set. i shared what all i knew from on here. he says they are making him jump through hoops so far.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
just stopped by the sealership for oil and filters and talked to the service manager. says he has his first one in for clutches right now. 1-3-5 set. i shared what all i knew from on here. he says they are making him jump through hoops so far.
ask him for the old parts or some pics of the old parts that would be awesome to see

Reactions: Hondasxs
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Going through mud Boggs and up big hill climbs etc I think people need to keep them in Manuel mode so they can keep the rpm's up in the power range!! If you aren't experienced enough for that at least keep them in sport mode and unit will try to of it for you. some units without paddle shift don't have sport mode either do they? If thats the case then thats not good.

advertisement