P1000 Clutches burnt up

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Mike, how's it going? How many miles have you run since your bike has been repaired and have you had any more issues? I'm anxious to see how this all plays out, especially after repairs have been made.

Thanks,

Waylan

Stimey58

Stimey58

Lifetime Member
Feb 21, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
I paid $620 for my ext warranty through Honda. It was for 3 years and begins after the 1yr factory warranty ends for a grand total of 4 years protection.

J

Jack39

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2015
Wareham, MA (near cape cod)
I finally got to ride my P-3. I have to agree with just about everyone in that first and reverse are way to low ratio, (high geared). Starting at the bottom of a hill from a dead stop in soft dand, the machine is struggling. I don't think it would take too much abuse to cook the first/reverse clutch. For those who have all the answers,,, happy motoring!!

Reactions: Scooterchris
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
man I have been on two big rides since... so far no slipping... riding it the same way i rode it before...
Mike what dealer did you bring it to for repairs? Some people getting run around. I'm in your area so if need be ill use your dealer being they know wtf is going on.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
[QUOT="mikegzales, post: 46611, member: 3876"]honda of covington... great group of guys over there[/QUOTE]
honda of covington... great group of guys over there
Sweet not far at all for me.

advertisement
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Both my local dealers are
honda of covington... great group of guys over there

Mike how did you burn up your clutches? How bad was it?
Was it slipping like the video but worse? Mine was doing that but worse

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
Both my local dealers are

Mike how did you burn up your clutches? How bad was it?
Was it slipping like the video but worse? Mine was doing that but worse
i was in alabama on some steeper hills when mine burnt up... i looked at the old ones and they were f===ed ... mine was a nice delay in shifts ... give them time they will fix it

Reactions: Scooterchris
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i was in alabama on some steeper hills when mine burnt up... i looked at the old ones and they were f===ed ... mine was a nice delay in shifts ... give them time they will fix it

Man I'd give a new quarter to see what the old clutch(s) looked like.

Reactions: mikegzales
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
they sent them back to honda at their request or i would have tried to keep them

My dealer showed me the one they had. It was completely black. The oil was black and had a very burnt smell

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
From the info in this thread, I am going
to try not to smoke my clutches, but
anything can happen, I suppose.

Does this seem to be something that Honda
is going to cover for future customers
with this issue?

I'm glad you got yours repaired. That would
be a rather irritating failure.

Thanks!

John

Last edited:

Feb 7, 2016
WY
My primary concern is not only the clutch failures, but the gearing as well. If first and reverse are pretty universally acknowledged as being too high, won't the clutches continue to be compromised? If Honda was changing gearing and clutches, I'd be more confident in the future. I live in Wyoming where long stretches of climbing up lose/rocky terrain at fairly high altitude is the reason to have one of these machines in the first place.

When do the next year's models come out for Honda? If this is an issue that will be fixed, I may be inclined to wait a bit longer.

Reactions: swsebek
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bad news travels fast to the forum. If you had a great weekend riding with no problems your probably not going to post on the forum " my transmission was great this weekend". If your p1k is running fine don't worry about it and if you don't even own one yet and are still trying to decide look for the positives. It's like if you have a tooth ache you can look on the internet and find a million ways to die from it when no one really does.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Well I tell ya. My p1k-5 even with the clutches slipping kept up and tackled the same terrain that 2 vikings, a rzr trail, rzr, p700, teryx on steriods, yxz, 2 four wheelers and one more ride I can't remember. I was happy about knowing when my clutches are good to go I have one bad to the bone ride

Reactions: Kingmudd
sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
No clutch problems here

advertisement