P1000 Clutches burnt up

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am going to wait and see (briefly) if it doesn't get worse I will see how it performs all week at the Group Ride in April 8 & 9th, If I still have reservations / concerns I will leave it with the dealership in Chattanooga, TN where I bought it. What confuses me is the harder I seemingly push it the more normal it acts and everything common sense tells me if something "mechanical" was awry it would be just the opposite. I went through everything today looking for loose ground wires / bolts etc. and after 4 hours discovered nothing abnormal regarding assembly.
Seems electrical to me also. Mine has not done it since. I'm offshore but wife was out riding it today and it did fine. If it where mechanical clutch problem it would do it all the time.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
I am going to wait and see (briefly) if it doesn't get worse I will see how it performs all week at the Group Ride in April 8 & 9th, If I still have reservations / concerns I will leave it with the dealership in Chattanooga, TN where I bought it. What confuses me is the harder I seemingly push it the more normal it acts and everything common sense tells me if something "mechanical" was awry it would be just the opposite. I went through everything today looking for loose ground wires / bolts etc. and after 4 hours discovered nothing abnormal regarding assembly.

I like what your thinking... hopefully the dealer will come up with a correction this week for mine. If not I ordered my service manual and I'll fix it myself.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Serial, As bad as I hate Polaris products I think you will be happy with the Highlifter model and its probably the best choice for serious mud riding. I see why you didn't get the Can-Am plus they are difficult to work on. I expect a highlifter version of the General in the future. I just sold my RZR 900 with a bit over 11,000 miles on it. When you check the belt I recommend removing the secondary sheave and making sure they greased the splines on the trans shaft. My buddy has the Maverick Mud model and he has lots of problems with the air suspension leaking down. Going in for the third time for a fix. Honda may offer a mud model but that may be a few years off if it happens. I'm sure the forum will have some set up tips and it should be nearly problem free since its been out for awhile. Oh and I just bought the Yamaha YXZ for fast southwest riding.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Serial, As bad as I hate Polaris products I think you will be happy with the Highlifter model and its probably the best choice for serious mud riding. I see why you didn't get the Can-Am plus they are difficult to work on. I expect a highlifter version of the General in the future. I just sold my RZR 900 with a bit over 11,000 miles on it. When you check the belt I recommend removing the secondary sheave and making sure they greased the splines on the trans shaft. My buddy has the Maverick Mud model and he has lots of problems with the air suspension leaking down. Going in for the third time for a fix. Honda may offer a mud model but that may be a few years off if it happens. I'm sure the forum will have some set up tips and it should be nearly problem free since its been out for awhile. Oh and I just bought the Yamaha YXZ for fast southwest riding.
Thanks. This is only the 2nd polaris product I've ever owned. I was going towards the general but way too high.
I've had tons of luck with yamaha. Congrats on your purchase. I know yamaha is releasing 2 more new sxs over the next 2 model years. Im betting the 1000 motor will find it's way into a trail machine.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had several problems including EPS light,wound not start, not shifting into gear and transmission seeming to slip. The dealer found a loose ground wire. They tighten it and I rode last weekend about 40 miles. No problems.
I admit I was very discourage as I had saved for 3 years for this purchase. When it didn't function correctly I was mad. So I understand those same feelings in the people who are having problems. I do believe there are some issues with the pioneer. I'm not sure if they are engineering or assemble issues. I hope assembly,,,,as these are frustrating but fixable.
Put another 50 miles on mine today after the ground wire "fix". I will say it worked flawlessly. We had 3 full sized adults in the pioneer. We rode mud holes, broke ice through mud holes, rode steep rutted out inclines etc. We used low range and mostly manual mode. I have found in technical stuff I can control the situation in manual. I really like manual much better on the mountains in our area. It helps cut down on the motor/ transmission whine.
Cross my fingers that the bugs in my Pioneer don't come back.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put another 50 miles on mine today after the ground wire "fix". I will say it worked flawlessly. We had 3 full sized adults in the pioneer. We rode mud holes, broke ice through mud holes, rode steep rutted out inclines etc. We used low range and mostly manual mode. I have found in technical stuff I can control the situation in manual. I really like manual much better on the mountains in our area. It helps cut down on the motor/ transmission whine.
Cross my fingers that the bugs in my Pioneer don't come back.
a couple questions for the 1000 owners. First if you pull in the paddle shifter and hold it will it rev up and release it is it like a foot shift where it dumps the clutch? Or is it in gear as soon as you pull it in. 2nd In manual mode can you lug it around in a higher gear to keep the rpms low and quiet? And does it shudder when doing that?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
a couple questions for the 1000 owners. First if you pull in the paddle shifter and hold it will it rev up and release it is it like a foot shift where it dumps the clutch? Or is it in gear as soon as you pull it in. 2nd In manual mode can you lug it around in a higher gear to keep the rpms low and quiet? And does it shudder when doing that?
It won't let you lug the motor. It'll downshift on its own. You can cruise around 2-2500 rpms but that's about as low as you can run it. In manual mode it shifts just like in auto except you pick the shift points with the paddles

Reactions: Plumber32
HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I'm gonna be stuck with my p1000 for at least a few years. Having said that and seeing this thread I will be buying an extended warranty. I want a Honda warranty who has the best price on those?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I'm gonna be stuck with my p1000 for at least a few years. Having said that and seeing this thread I will be buying an extended warranty. I want a Honda warranty who has the best price on those?
I got it from dealer at time of purchase for 800 bucks. Another dealer wanted 1100

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
how hard is it to change the clutches. are they like motorcycle clutches steels and fibers etc. anybody know?

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I got it from dealer at time of purchase for 800 bucks. Another dealer wanted 1100
If u want the Honda extended warranty how long do u have to purchase it after initial purchase etc thanks

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
This how 5 people / machines in a thread gone wild run off hundreds of potential owners, no one considers the similar circumstances each of machines were placed in. In my experience what people say happened, what really happened, and a reasonable expectation of a mechanical item's limits never seem to line up.
not to mention we are talking about thousands of units with no problems and a couple with a problem. go to other forums and look in their problem sections u will see similar issues in all. Also u have to understand with a machine like this people have to know when to use high and low gears a little bit more just because it comes naturally to some of us doesn't mean its that way for everyone there are some stupid people out there I drive on the roads with them every day lol. seriously more power 12 gears manual shift sport etc etc people are used to putting in gear and go etc. sport mode should be used by everyone while not on flat ground cruising. Low range should be used at any high demand times mud hills etc. common sense is a big portion of this. No offense to those who have problems from mechanical failure etc (no offense to anyone Im just making some observations) think about it for a min when u go riding with a large group of friends u always have the ones with no common sense doing dumb stuff every group has one or 5 lol and with this type equipment u need to know what u are doing lots of power gears etc high range in mud with your foot to floor and it shifts up and lugs and stays there loosing rpm etc thats hard on s***!!! should be in low range in Manuel running high rpm!!! Ive noticed best to do all big hill climbs in manuel cause unit might shift and bog a bit if not in manuel bogging is hard on clutches

Reactions: swsebek
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
If u want the Honda extended warranty how long do u have to purchase it after initial purchase etc thanks
I was told at my dealership when I bought my 700, that I had until the original warranty ran out to purchase the extended.

Reactions: dale5740
H

HondaTech

You have until the year factory warranty is up to purchase HPP. Honda will send you a reminder card when your getting close to let you know.

Reactions: HivoltageHonda
adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
a couple questions for the 1000 owners. First if you pull in the paddle shifter and hold it will it rev up and release it is it like a foot shift where it dumps the clutch? Or is it in gear as soon as you pull it in.

No it wont. I had the same thought 1 day so I tried. Its just an electrical signal sent, it doesnt manually engage/disengage a clutch like a foot shift does.

H

HondaTech

The paddle shift operates the same way a electric shift quad does. Except now you don't have to left off the gas to shif, it cuts the engine for that split second.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
When I hear people say things like "You can burn them up if you don't know how to drive them" chaps my ass!
I haven't begun to beat on my Pioneer 1000 yet. Last Friday was the 1st time I started pushing this thing. If there is something I can do... I sure as hell know how to do regular maintenance and ride.

I've watched people pick other people apart on this one thread. I posted the video so all of you can see and hear their MIGHT be something happening. I've had my share of honda's and I still LOVE my p1k.
agreed....

Reactions: itsleo
mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
m
Ditto, 350 miles. My 1,3,5, R rev up an extra 1000 to 2000 rpms before catching the gear. Mechanic said it's normal. Try loading on a tall flat bed truck. Or loading on a trailer and not rear ending the Pioneer in front of you. This sucks!
mechanic is wrong... sorry bring it to another dealer or back to the same... have them drive a new one and then drive yours...ride with them...

advertisement