Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Sorry if anyone gets their panties in a wad.... I've been riding dirt bikes and 4 wheeler since my teens. I'm now 46 so I don't believe it my riding ability. I believe honda needs to build a stronger clutch. I live in Florida with NO HILLS, BUT WE HAVE LOTS OF SAND AND WATER.

I recorded mine before taking in to the dealer for the second time in a weeks. 1st time they told me it was a ground problem!! Brought it home and this is what I recorded. It's not slipping bad enough to leave someone high and dry in the trails but it's not shifting correct.

It has to rev up to about 3000 rpm's to start moving. Then it slides into 3rd and 5th gear at about 1000 - 1500 rpm's more than the even gears. I also noticed my top speed dropped I could barely get it up to 60 mph.

Doesn't look right to me!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's like the 2nd clutch is slow to engage.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sorry if anyone gets their panties in a wad.... I've been riding dirt bikes and 4 wheeler since my teens. I'm now 46 so I don't believe it my riding ability. I believe honda needs to build a stronger clutch. I live in Florida with NO HILLS, BUT WE HAVE LOTS OF SAND AND WATER.

I recorded mine before taking in to the dealer for the second time in a weeks. 1st time they told me it was a ground problem!! Brought it home and this is what I recorded. It's not slipping bad enough to leave someone high and dry in the trails but it's not shifting correct.

It has to rev up to about 3000 rpm's to start moving. Then it slides into 3rd and 5th gear at about 1000 - 1500 rpm's more than the even gears. I also noticed my top speed dropped I could barely get it up to 60 mph.

That sucks.
(Disclaimer: I haven't bought mine yet, my issue is not the clutch fear, but that I'm at the point of it being close enough to a 2017 release announcement that I am going to wait and see if Honda releases/teases/announces anything new be it features or vehicles (a rumored sport maybe).)

As I've followed the threads and watched the trends there does seem to be a documentable transmission issue, some with similar riding styles. Some that ride like granddad.

BUT BUT, there are a large number of members who are not having the issue.

I know some people who could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer, and I know I am in another group that is near fanatical about moderate riding(fun but I know my machines and my limits) as well as preventive and regular maintenance.

So it makes me wonder if it they are not JUST rider or factory related, but a statistical combo.

I wonder if in the MAD rush to not end up in the same inventory shortage situation as the 700(and still ending up in the same situation for a while) there were a few screw-ups that made it onto delivery trucks.

Stems to better production checks and knowing how to drive a clutched vehicle. DCT and CVT are not "clutched" vehicles. You can burn them both up if you don't know how to drive them, I think the DCT is a superior design though. I dislike the idea of a rubber band (yes Honda makes an automotive CVT assembled in a clean room no-less but it is a metal friction surface with a flexible rubber core) and I still would not own it if it was in a ½ to 1Ton truck.

E088e78c5155495a40da194c3dc3a0bd

540b7af48fd478231975fa03e9fc3e79

Last edited by a moderator:
itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
When I hear people say things like "You can burn them up if you don't know how to drive them" chaps my ass!
I haven't begun to beat on my Pioneer 1000 yet. Last Friday was the 1st time I started pushing this thing. If there is something I can do... I sure as hell know how to do regular maintenance and ride.

I've watched people pick other people apart on this one thread. I posted the video so all of you can see and hear their MIGHT be something happening. I've had my share of honda's and I still LOVE my p1k.

Reactions: Rippinnrarrin
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I hear people say things like "You can burn them up if you don't know how to drive them" chaps my ass!
I haven't begun to beat on my Pioneer 1000 yet. Last Friday was the 1st time I started pushing this thing. If there is something I can do... I sure as hell know how to do regular maintenance and ride.

I've watched people pick other people apart on this one thread. I posted the video so all of you can see and hear their MIGHT be something happening. I've had my share of honda's and I still LOVE my p1k.

I also said there's a group like me who take care of their machines (riding style AND maintenance) and they are still having issues.

Which means there has to be another explanation. If a large number is having no issue and a small number is it leads less to a 100% defective part and more to a production screwup (or if the owner is in the anvil/rubber hammer category, owner screwup)

Anyone can tear up anything if they set their mind(or lack of it) to the task. There ARE going to be owners who DESTROY their machines and some will do anything they can to get a warranty repair, and there are going to be legitimate warranty repairs. If an owner KNOWINGLY destroys their machine using it beyond Manufacturer's suggested use, they SHOULD DAMN WELL own up to it. If it fails during use and after maintenance as a manufacturer Honda SHOULD DAMN WELL own up to it also.

My point was it seems statistically like it's maybe not a part issue but an assembly issue(as well occasionally an anvil/rubber hammer)

Last edited:
Reactions: CashMoney
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ex

Exacly what mine was doing. Have you done your first service yet? I guess you have being its over 200 miles. Mine did this at 50 miles. Although like in stated before. After ridding Friday evening and good bit Saturday I now have 95 miles and it has stopped slipping completely. I only ran it around the house for 15-20 minutes though.

Last edited:
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I'm wondering on some of the ones that aren't slipping but are shifting off if doing the clutch relearn procedure that's in the manual would help them some.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What page
I'm wondering on some of the ones that aren't slipping but are shifting off if doing the clutch relearn procedure that's in the manual would help them some.[/QUOTE
What page is that on?

advertisement
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm wondering on some of the ones that aren't slipping but are shifting off if doing the clutch relearn procedure thats i

I'd have to look when I get home but it was in the clutch section if i remember right. I was looking to see how they worked
Ok you speaking of repair manual not the owner's manual

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
When I brought my bike back to the dealer they call tech help line with me right there on speaker phone.

The tech that was working on my bike explained he already cleaned the ground from the service bulletin and tried another ecm from a new bike and had no change. Tech help line told them to do some pin point testing (PPT) and the PPT should tell them what the next step will be. Which when they told me they fixed my bike by cleaning a ground you would think they would have done a voltage drop test to verify there was a problem with that ground.

What tells me this isn't happening straight across the board is tech help had to keep calling my dealer back 3times. I worked for ford as a tech for 15 years and tech help usually have answers for you with out having to call back 3 times in 2 hours.

Reactions: CashMoney
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I brought my bike back to the dealer they call tech help line with me right there on speaker phone.

The tech that was working on my bike explained he already cleaned the ground from the service bulletin and tried another ecm from a new bike and had no change. Tech help line told them to do some pin point testing (PPT) and the PPT should tell them what the next step will be. Which when they told me they fixed my bike by cleaning a ground you would think they would have done a voltage drop test to verify there was a problem with that ground.

What tells me this isn't happening straight across the board is tech help had to keep calling my dealer back 3times. I worked for ford as a tech for 15 years and tech help usually have answers for you with out having to call back 3 times in 2 hours.
So it's back at the shop now. Since it wasn't repaired the first time? I'm wondering if I didn't have a ground issue being it stopped slipping.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015

Holy crap itsleo

Thats exactly what mine is doing. Only thing is mine is doing it worse. Took it to the dealer i bought it from this past monday. They called today (sat) and said come get it. Its good to go. Said they all road it around and couldnt get it to slip. So i went up there. Got kinda upset with them. They then finally said they would call honda tuesday to see about going into the clutches to see if one was bad. Getting a big run around. Makes me want trade it in.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Ditto, 350 miles. My 1,3,5, R rev up an extra 1000 to 2000 rpms before catching the gear. Mechanic said it's normal. Try loading on a tall flat bed truck. Or loading on a trailer and not rear ending the Pioneer in front of you. This sucks!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Ditto, 350 miles. My 1,3,5, R rev up an extra 1000 to 2000 rpms before catching the gear. Mechanic said it's normal. Try loading on a tall flat bed truck. Or loading on a trailer and not rear ending the Pioneer in front of you. This sucks!

When loading try Low range , manual mode using only 1st gear. Once its rolling in first in manual you should be able to drive it right up slowly with control. If that isn't the case I don't know what to think of that.

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
When loading try Low range , manual mode using only 1st gear. Once its rolling in first in manual you should be able to drive it right up slowly with control. If that isn't the case I don't know what to think of that.
Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

advertisement