P1000 Clutches burnt up

J

Jack39

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2015
Wareham, MA (near cape cod)
Just from reading all the posts on the tranny slipping, hesitating, etc. I have to wonder if it could be related to the bad ground discussed earlier. That could well account for the delayed shift or failure to engage properly.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
And what exactly am I doing ... Laughing at the goat that was in the commercial and giving another member a compliment on a deer he shot. Go find something to do besides being childish please.

Huh? You said 2 pages ago that you were tired of the 34 notifications daily from this thread like it was bothering you people are posting on a thread on a public forum. Who's being childish?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Great commercial. Honda may offer a super low geared mud model with huge tires in a few years. Polaris and Can-Am have them now but the quality is poor with lots of failures not related to hard use or abuse. I just sold my last Polaris and will never buy another belt drive machine. I use my Pioneer 1000 for difficult trail riding and my Yamaha YXZ for the fast pace rides without any tough slow sections. I don't stop on a steep hill with any of my side by sides and the Yamaha has a high 1st gear that will require abusing the clutch to get it moving. My Pioneer 500 has super low gearing and is happy taking off on a hill steep enough to just slip the tires. I replaced the 24's with 27's and still no problem starting off on steep hills. I only did it for testing and it can be dangerous if you have to back down a super steep hill. If there is a problem with the Pioneer 1000 you can count on Honda doing an upgrade. There may be 15,000 Pioneers in use now and very little problems other then a few modified machines for extreme use. Maybe a couple of stock machines too. If you stop on a hill and use the throttle to hold it in place the clutch will heat up and burn up. Honda mentions this in the owners manual. That would burn up a belt or the wet clutch on all machines. I do a lot of snow riding and would like a super low geared model with at least 20 inches of ground clearance. Still may buy the portal gear lift for next winter.

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do believe that Honda will Stand beside this. I am gonna get a extended warranty though. I got to much money in the damn thing. I've had some shuddering but nothing bad. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack39 and swsebek
TOOLOUD

TOOLOUD

Aug 10, 2015
Benton,La
I currently have a 02 Honda rubicon that I have ran 27" mudzillas on. I did break and cv joint but it wasn't in the mud. I was pulling something in reverse and it poped. It was completely my fault. The only other thing I had to change on it was a sensor that reverted it from shifting. Other than that no problems. I love the low gear on it. I had no problem turning these tires and never tried anything larger but the low gear in my opinion was a good low. Down here we have no rocks, mountains and depending on the location not even hills. We have mud and at times it gets deep. I did forget to mention in my first post, 1 of of the members does have a Honda 700 that he bought last year. He has a lift and 28" tires and that's about all it can handle in the terrain we are in. The last weekend of the season he poped his winch cable twice. It was time for the season to be over. Going hunting we do not look for the deepest hole to see if we can make it or not. We go around as much as we can. A four wheeler can pass much easier but a 6 mile ride from the camp and about 4 of which is in mud gets cold and are limited with room. The commanders around here have electrical problems and rangers have problems all the way around. I will keep reading and hope that Honda does come up with a fix before I buy. I put a pic to show the ruts in the club. You can see the tops of the ruts have been scraped by skid plates on the bikes that can still pass. And this was 3 weeks before end of season.

View attachment 10823 View attachment 10824

Looks like my camp !

AppleCreek

AppleCreek

Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
For all you guys on the fence these are isolated issues in my opinion. I was using mine to pull a cultimulcher around a hillside that we cleared off yesterday. I used the Pioneer because my little four wheel drive tractor kept getting stuck and leaving ruts because the ground was wet. I am the type of person that Never buys first model year. I would buy mine again in an instant. 900 miles and counting. If I hook it up to something it can't pull it digs 4 holes in the ground. I do put it in low manual when I'm doing this sort of thing.

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
For all you guys on the fence these are isolated issues in my opinion. I was using mine to pull a cultimulcher around a hillside that we cleared off yesterday. I used the Pioneer because my little four wheel drive tractor kept getting stuck and leaving ruts because the ground was wet. I am the type of person that Never buys first model year. I would buy mine again in an instant. 900 miles and counting. If I hook it up to something it can't pull it digs 4 holes in the ground. I do put it in low manual when I'm doing this sort of thing.

I have had the exact same experience. I have close to 200 miles and have used it to haul downed trees (huge trees) that I couldn't lift or move by hand. I have been in some steep rocky nasty stuff and it has never failed me. I would say that it continues to impress me and my riding buddies (Polaris lovers) and so far seems to be as reliable as any Honda I have ever owned.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the use of manual mode in technical terrain is the major key here. People that burn up belts on Polaris and Can Am rigs are the same people that are going to burn up clutches in these Hondas. You have to keep your momentum up, all there is to it. Common sense goes a long way.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same here as well. Just turned 100 miles couple days ago. Gonna change oil/filters today. I've had it in some really tight spots on steep grades and had to back it up to get a better line. I don't play around with the clutch application. If you slip any clutch for long something bad is gonna happen. You have to commit to using the throttle. I don't mean just nailing the gas, just a constant increase in pedal pressure (if that makes any sense). This thread does come to mind, but I don't dwell on it. I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing. Still think this is a solid well built machine.

Reactions: Marine660
advertisement
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
low and manual. I'll have to remember that when i am on the game trail. Probably best to use auto and turf mode on mostly flat roads? Never had paddle shifters before. Its all a learning curve, so many choices.

AppleCreek

AppleCreek

Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
low and manual. I'll have to remember that when i am on the game trail. Probably best to use auto and turf mode on mostly flat roads? Never had paddle shifters before. Its all a learning curve, so many choices.

Yea, most of the time I'm in auto and turf mode. Even in the wet bottoms on our farm turf mode usually does the trick. I typically just put it in 4 wheel lock when I'm pulling heavy stuff or if the mud is getting deep.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would say that mine seems to be improving with a little more time. Throttle tip-in was really touchy early on. Seems a bit less jumpy off the start now. Also, the slight shudder it had when pulling from a slow start up hill or pulling a pretty heavy load has completely disappeared. Much smoother and feels perfectly powerful. Just had to be broken-in. As I mentioned earlier, I was pulling a Ford 4000 tractor out of a field and thought it felt way to heavy when I looked a saw one of the fluid filled rears locked up and skidding right along making a rut. I would absolutely buy mine again, but being a first year, I did buy the extended warranty.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, most of the time I'm in auto and turf mode. Even in the wet bottoms on our farm turf mode usually does the trick. I typically just put it in 4 wheel lock when I'm pulling heavy stuff or if the mud is getting deep.
Turf mode will get you out of most situations. I have a video on YouTube going through some really nasty mud in turf mode. Plus it's really easy on the yard unlike my Foreman lol

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just from reading all the posts on the tranny slipping, hesitating, etc. I have to wonder if it could be related to the bad ground discussed earlier. That could well account for the delayed shift or failure to engage properly.
I had several problems including EPS light,wound not start, not shifting into gear and transmission seeming to slip. The dealer found a loose ground wire. They tighten it and I rode last weekend about 40 miles. No problems.
I admit I was very discourage as I had saved for 3 years for this purchase. When it didn't function correctly I was mad. So I understand those same feelings in the people who are having problems. I do believe there are some issues with the pioneer. I'm not sure if they are engineering or assemble issues. I hope assembly,,,,as these are frustrating but fixable.

Last edited:
B

bdiesel3

Feb 14, 2016
West MI
I have to admit mine works flawlessly, very busy with my job and that's why the clutch issues tempted me to sell it, when I have free time, I want to ride, not turn wrenches or run it to the dealer. Mine shifts nice a firm like it should, when moving it in the garage or tight spaces it is very smooth and no shuddering. The other day I was in a spot where I needed to backup out of some terrain, put it in reverse and it spun all four tires, no problems, took three tries to get out but it never hesitated. If it wasnt moving it was digging, LOL. This gave me some reassurance in the machine that its tranny and clutches are solid. Hopefully the ones being fixed will experience the same performance as a lot of us are.

Reactions: DTAGG
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I have to admit mine works flawlessly, very busy with my job and that's why the clutch issues tempted me to sell it, when I have free time, I want to ride, not turn wrenches or run it to the dealer. Mine shifts nice a firm like it should, when moving it in the garage or tight spaces it is very smooth and no shuddering. The other day I was in a spot where I needed to backup out of some terrain, put it in reverse and it spun all four tires, no problems, took three tries to get out but it never hesitated. If it wasnt moving it was digging, LOL. This gave me some reassurance in the machine that its tranny and clutches are solid. Hopefully the ones being fixed will experience the same performance as a lot of us are.

Mine performed exactly as you state until it started slipping!! I really liked how firm it shifted gears. I mean man you knew but the head snatching that you were going somewhere. And I have to tell ya. On a flat straight line I have yet to take off wot. I just know it's got balls

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
This thread just increased the resale value of my 700. If any one wants to trade their 1000 even up for my 700 I might consider it.
I still have my 700. Makes me a little nervous to sell it now. I agree that this thread makes it look even better.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I worked my pioneer pretty good today with the 30" tires. We rode for ~5 hours and I never once thought the clutch slipped. I still wish it had a lower low range gear and reverse but I was really impressed with the performance.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida

Sorry if anyone gets their panties in a wad.... I've been riding dirt bikes and 4 wheeler since my teens. I'm now 46 so I don't believe it my riding ability. I believe honda needs to build a stronger clutch. I live in Florida with NO HILLS, BUT WE HAVE LOTS OF SAND AND WATER.

I recorded mine before taking in to the dealer for the second time in a weeks. 1st time they told me it was a ground problem!! Brought it home and this is what I recorded. It's not slipping bad enough to leave someone high and dry in the trails but it's not shifting correct.

It has to rev up to about 3000 rpm's to start moving. Then it slides into 3rd and 5th gear at about 1000 - 1500 rpm's more than the even gears. I also noticed my top speed dropped I could barely get it up to 60 mph.

advertisement