P1000 Clutches burnt up

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Good afternoon SxS members. I am not sure how many members we have or how many currently own one of the Pioneer 1000 models. I currently do not yet own one.
I see a few different threads started on what is liked vs what not or what to change if could. I see SPORTTRAC4x4 has a very good post idea started in the 1000 reviews section. It would help me emotionally :confused::D Lol! and maybe some owners with/without machine problems if every one could stop by there and give your machine a review so maybe we can isolate just how many machines are having issues here. Nooooo Pressure!

Cheers!:) - Stauvo
I wonder if there could be a POLL created in that thread or this thread so we can see how many owners have transmission issues and how many don't. It could be separated between clutch shuddering and clutches replaced; and finally no transmission issues. Not sure if the mods would be willing to do that for us.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I wonder if there could be a POLL created in that thread or this thread so we can see how many owners have transmission issues and how many don't. It could be separated between clutch shuddering and clutches replaced; and finally no transmission issues. Not sure if the mods would be willing to do that for us.

To make a POLL accurate you have to compel everyone that is happy to vote, and they don't take or make the time to do so because they are content. So in the end only the unsilent minority rules this type of poll.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
If guys that had problems end up having to go back and have other set put in then I'd say yeah there could be a problem with the machine. Until then I'm thinking it was a quality control issue with some of them

Reactions: joeymt33

Feb 7, 2016
WY
I'm pulling my $ off the table for the time being. Might look at a 700 or might look to another brand. I'm no gear head and I don't have the time/interest to be modifying and fixing things which is why I was initially interested in Honda.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I'm pulling my $ off the table for the time being. Might look at a 700 or might look to another brand. I'm no gear head and I don't have the time/interest to be modifying and fixing things which is why I was initially interested in Honda.

This how a dozen people / machines in a thread gone wild run off hundreds of potential owners, no one considers the similar circumstances each of machines were placed in. In my experience what people say happened, what really happened, and a reasonable expectation of a mechanical item's limits never seem to line up.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
This how a dozen people / machines in a thread gone wild run off hundreds of potential owners, no one considers the similar circumstances each of machines were placed in. In my experience what people say happened, what really happened, and a reasonable expectation of a mechanical item's limits never seem to line up.
It's definitely spiraled out of control. Me and my buddy run the dog piss out of his and not even a hiccup.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Probably not.
I hastily jumped out of my 2015 Polaris RZR 900 Trail on a three strike rule, turf mode broke twice and wheel bearing went out with less than 100 miles. I would have probably kept it a little longer before jumping ship had I known there is design flaws with the gearing or clutches in the Pioneer 1000. Being a lifelong Honda off-road vehicle enthusiast and evangelist seems to have bitten me in the ass. Dammit! Now I am reluctant to customize or buy accessories for my unit. I guess I will start using it harder this weekend to see if it gets to stay or if it has to go.

Yes I would buy again. It is sad that people are having this issue with some machines. But as posted above looks like the competition is having more than just a gearing issue (if there is one on the Honda), and that isn't including the belts you were gonna end up going through. I have had over 400 miles of bliss with mine and I do run the piss out of it every time! I don't think it is realistic to totally blame the machine when some of these instances have been...slowly backing up a long steep incline (which many have said would have destroyed the reverse chain on a popo), having the bike so buried in a sticky mudhole that the tires wouldn't turn and then standing on it for 15 seconds in low with no tires spinning (which once again would destroy a lot of things including try doing that in truck or jeep and see how the clutch would be if the tires weren't spinning for that amount of time), some have been low on oil, some have not done a good job breaking it in, some have tires 5" larger than stock....so on and on. Not saying there isn't a concern at all but lets be honest it hasn't all been good test!! That's my .02. On break in I would personally put about a couple easier hours on it then get that oil changed...I know they say 20hrs or 100 miles but all that breakin shavings and assembly grease is still in there, get it out asap. Let's see how this all plays out but I wouldn't throw in the towel and hurry and sale yours to run out and buy another brands multiple problems when this is just showing one hiccup!!!

Reactions: HondaTim and JACKAL
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I don't entirely agree with the above. At first it was 2 machines - now I believe it is more than 5. I DO think that something is going on. I'd love to think that Honda designed/engineered these machines to handle more than they have so far - afterall that's why many buy Honda. This same sort of issue has not happened at all with the TRX300, the foremans, rubicon, P700, etc. It should not be a necessity to realize the limitations of a machine and always operate within those parameters. Even if you could, what if my 16 year old was behind the wheel and didn't. I shouldn't always have to be worried that I need to make sure everyone that drives my P1000 is aware of its limitations. At the same time, I'm not ready to throw mud on Honda nor do I have buyer's remorse. I bought my 1000 after this thread started knowing there may be some issues. I have gotten mine in a bind with stock tires, no lift, and was able to get free with no issues - had I been running larger tires or been in more of a bind I can see that I could have encountered the same issues. I do think Honda will get it figured out. Whether it be stronger components that can be replaced during warranty, or a redesign in 2017 with incentives to trade up. Regardless, from what I've read so far it looks like Honda should have done their homework better and done more torture testing to find the failure limits instead of letting the consumer be the guinea pig (this is what Polaris has done for years). I say all that to make a point - I'm not going to take up for Honda on this issue or promote my choice. The machine obviously has limitations that some are finding and I want to know everything I can about it, the fix, etc. If Honda loses hundreds of potential sales, it is not the users faults for posting issues they have had and I'm not going to be a Honda cheerleader just because I bought a first year model.

If the numbers fall off or remain relatively low, then we can assume QC or something similar. If this is truly a problem for a decent percentage of owners, hopefully Honda releases a service bulletin with some sort of fix that can be made during the warranty period.

I'm very pleased with my P1000, and would likely buy it again given the use I intend for it. If I was big into lifts/mud tires/mudding, the P1000 would definitely not be my top choice. That said, I don't like the reverse chain in the Polaris transmission nor the long term reliability issues with regulators, ball joints, tie rod ends, timing chain tensioner, fuel rail issues, front differential noise, prop shaft not being trued/phased correctly, etc.. Even if Honda doesn't come out with a fix, if it is a real problem you can bet the aftermarket will answer it just like they do for all the other models that have shortcomings.

Just my thoughts........

Waylan

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
To make a POLL accurate you have to compel everyone that is happy to vote, and they don't take or make the time to do so because they are content. So in the end only the unsilent minority rules this type of poll.
I understand your point but if we can base it on the members of this forum it will give us some idea. For instance if we have 20 active members who participate and 5 note they have issues and 15 note that they don't it will give us an idea. I know that there will be far more owners of units who are not part of the forum and there is nothing that can be done about that. The whole idea of a POLL is to give us some stats: 7 out of 10 have no issues for example. I think you might find that pretty much all the owners of the 1000 who are active on this site would participate as everyone is watching this thread and wondering if this is a small or big problem.

I am about to drop a big chunk of change on a toy and like others I am trying to determine if this clutch issue will affect my prospective machine for the style of riding I will be doing.

I don't want to hurt Honda sales in the slightest but two things to remember; this forum made me make up my mind that I wanted to buy the 1000. I went through all of the other forums for other manufacturers just the same as anybody who is doing their due diligence when researching a sxs. I was confident in my decision because of this forum but now I have some concerns and I believe them to be justified. I just need to some how figure if this will be a purchase I regret or simply a blip that will get resolved. Nobody can answer that so I need to do all of the research I can and if I make a bad choice then it's on me.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Ok fellas let's just all agree to disagree. The next time my phone goes off for a notification about a clutch on the P1000 I would like it to be a resolution that Honda came up with or new part numbers to the correction of the clutch.

Reactions: Hondasxs
advertisement
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I understand your point but if we can base it on the members of this forum it will give us some idea. For instance if we have 20 active members who participate and 5 note they have issues and 15 note that they don't it will give us an idea. I know that there will be far more owners of units who are not part of the forum and there is nothing that can be done about that. The whole idea of a POLL is to give us some stats: 7 out of 10 have no issues for example. I think you might find that pretty much all the owners of the 1000 who are active on this site would participate as everyone is watching this thread and wondering if this is a small or big problem.

I am about to drop a big chunk of change on a toy and like others I am trying to determine if this clutch issue will affect my prospective machine for the style of riding I will be doing.

I don't want to hurt Honda sales in the slightest but two things to remember; this forum made me make up my mind that I wanted to buy the 1000. I went through all of the other forums for other manufacturers just the same as anybody who is doing their due diligence when researching a sxs. I was confident in my decision because of this forum but now I have some concerns and I believe them to be justified. I just need to some how figure if this will be a purchase I regret or simply a blip that will get resolved. Nobody can answer that so I need to do all of the research I can and if I make a bad choice then it's on me.

If you look at Hondas experience with the dct across the board I would say that shows that this is a blip....this isn't there first shoot at this type of setup!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@McPioneer
Ya, This thread is too drawn out to start a poll now. It will be pushing 400 replies by weeks end.
But I seen the post by @sporttrac4x4, I may edit that one. Let me see.

@HondaTim, run this part and see if it comes up 22500-HL4-004. LOL!

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
@McPioneer
Ya, This thread is too drawn out to start a poll now. It will be pushing 400 replies by weeks end.
But I seen the post by @sporttrac4x4, I may edit that one. Let me see.

@HondaTim, run this part and see if it comes up 22500-HL4-004. LOL!
Lmao yyyyeeeessss thank you finally.

dezs1775

dezs1775

Dec 26, 2015
Orange city Florida
Its a factory issue in my opinion. What vin's are having the problems? Did Carl on the assembly line forget a shim or something that day? Some have no problems others are going out in 40 to 400 miles. In my opinion its from the factory. There will be a recall or a replace when it brakes.

Reactions: CashMoney
HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Sorry...... I was just trying to help.:(;):D
It's all good man and when I say this I want no one to take offense and I do hate that there are some people with problems with there bike I've been there. But I'm tired of waking up and seeing 34 notifications on this one subject and reading them and there not being one resolution or fix. I know there are some venting and being mad about the whole situation but look at how many people has viewed this thread ... There are no telling how many people that are not going to buy possibly the most reliable sxs on the market. This is one issue to date with the release of the P1000. Go check out the other forums with people's bikes going up in flames on the first ride. Losing clutch assemblies way out in the woods because a nut came off. Diffs blowing. I'm just saying lets be a little more conscious about what we say and not give Honda grief for one problem known to date.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
It's all good man and when I say this I want no one to take offense and I do hate that there are some people with problems with there bike I've been there. But I'm tired of waking up and seeing 34 notifications on this one subject and reading them and there not being one resolution or fix. I know there are some venting and being mad about the whole situation but look at how many people has viewed this thread ... There are no telling how many people that are not going to buy possibly the most reliable sxs on the market. This is one issue to date with the release of the P1000. Go check out the other forums with people's bikes going up in flames on the first ride. Losing clutch assemblies way out in the woods because a nut came off. Diffs blowing. I'm just saying lets be a little more conscious about what we say and not give Honda grief for one problem known to date.

Why not just turn your notifications for this thread off?

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This how 5 people / machines in a thread gone wild run off hundreds of potential owners, no one considers the similar circumstances each of machines were placed in. In my experience what people say happened, what really happened, and a reasonable expectation of a mechanical item's limits never seem to line up.
It's five on this forum. How many you think out there are not on this forum. My dealer has had 2. So maybe it is a quality control issue. I tell you for certain I didn't dog mine.

advertisement