P1000 Clutches burnt up

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe we need the aftermarket to step up if Honda doesn't. I believe I will call my dealer see if they will still offer the extended warranty.
one thing to note is that the extended warranty is not from Honda. I recall having that conversation with them when I bought it. So Honda's "immediate" financial liability ends after the 1 year factory warranty expires. But the long term financial damage due to an ongoing recurring clutch issue would, in my opinion, motivate them to develop a more permanent solution such as gear changes in the subtranny.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
I sure hope I'm wrong. I want a fix too, not just a bandaid.

Reactions: PioneerPete
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A gear swap for low range and reverse sounds like a fairly reasonable solution. I'd do it.

I am basing that statement off of the information that reverse is in the sub-trans not in the DCT

Reactions: Springer
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A gear swap for low range and reverse sounds like a fairly reasonable solution. I'd do it.

I am basing that statement off of the information that reverse is in the sub-trans not in the DCT
so its settled... are you drafting our armchair engineer letter?:p

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
so its settled... are you drafting our armchair engineer letter?:p
This is interesting, not necessarily in a good way. The Yamaha guys are all a flame with the same issue on the YXZ , it is geared too high to do mud or technical trails without clutch issues. There is already a company making a lowered gear transmission and a beefed up clutch for it. If you think about a bell curve, the vast majority of owners are not going to have any issues with their machine, it is likely to only be the fellows at the ends of those curves, and those numbers are not likely high enough to induce Honda to do ANYTHING to change design. Heck, they still have a 5 speed in a new Goldwing, and that platform is 15 years old. I have no intention of putting on larger tires, or extreme mudding, so I am not going to worry about my clutches (picture ostrich, with head in sand) Of course I am going to READ everything written on the subject, I am just not going to worry about it till I see a really really good reason....

Reactions: franzw and DTAGG
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With all the concern over no low gear in the 700-4 over the last few years how in hell can they not gear this down to levels that we can creep and lug things around with? Honda has been putting a super low first gear in almost every utility ATV since the beginning. I have not needed a low range in my 500 Foreman so why the sudden loss of a simple super low 1st gear mojo in their SXS lineup? It's instead a utility class sxs that has a race transmission in it geared for flat track racing?????

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I bought a Yamaha YXZ and its great for the fast riding in the South West. If you stop on a steep hill its a b**** to start off and most owners will abuse the clutch in a big way. On steep hills you need to be going 10 mph or the engine will bog and you will have to donate some clutch material or back down. Even with the 70% 1st gear reduction the Yamaha won't be a good mud machine. Yamaha should have a low speed mud version in the future and maybe this year. The Honda Sport models may be better for the mud and I hope they come out this year. On my Pioneer 1000 I get it moving right away. You guys are scaring me but most failures are with big tires. The high reverse gear will be much easier to slip and sometimes its necessary to back out of a mud hole. I hate mud and lucky to avoid it here in Arizona. I may get the Portal gear reduction and lift for our snow and rock crawling rides.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What % reduction with smaller tires I know most will balk at it but if someone has some 25" with the same bolt pattern and see where it revs out in 1st low compared to the 27". You would only lose 1" ground clearance.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am new to the forum. I have been doing a lot of reading on this new pk1. I am wanting to get a sxs later this year and have intentions on the pk1. I hope Honda does come up with a solution to burning up these clutches. Since I plan on mostly using it for hunting. The club I am in this sxs stock will not go far. We have a late rut. When the hunting gets good the roads get bad. Most of the members are running rangers with 29" to 30" tire and one with 32". There is 1 attic cat with 30s that goes but doesn't have the power for those tires. There are 2 commanders both with 29.5 terminators that's has no problems going where they need to go. I want the pk1 because of the room for more people during the off season. If this sxs can't handle larger tires than stock and I've read where some one burn their clutch with stock tire this bike will be a big disappointment in south Louisiana. I'm not knocking Honda at all. Honda is all I have ever owned but I need something With ground clearance and don't have to worry about belts or clutches.

Reactions: Rippinnrarrin
advertisement
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wonder if we changed fluids to something different like royal purple full synthetic or something similar- wonder if it would help the clutch slipping issues
I was wondering same thing.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I'm still waiting to see what happens. I'm wondering if some of these had a bad set of clutch's from the factory and they finally let go under stress. Hadn't had any issues with mine yet and I had it rev'd loading it on the trailer with no ramps like a lazy ass and it was a good moment of no tires moving an a lot of torque before they finally locked up and it shot up that trailer like rocketship.

Reactions: Stauvo
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm still waiting to see what happens. I'm wondering if some of these had a bad set of clutch's from the factory and they finally let go under stress. Hadn't had any issues with mine yet and I had it rev'd loading it on the trailer with no ramps like a lazy ass and it was a good moment of no tires moving an a lot of torque before they finally locked up and it shot up that trailer like rocketship.
The clutches are not letting go they are just initially slipping then it goes into gear. 1,3,5 and reverse use same clutch. Only slips for about 2 seconds then it locks into gear. Same thing on down shift. It's weird I'm wondering if it not something electrical. Mine has since stopped slipping .

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
What % reduction with smaller tires I know most will balk at it but if someone has some 25" with the same bolt pattern and see where it revs out in 1st low compared to the 27". You would only lose 1" ground clearance.

I get what you are saying, but not sure many folks are going to want a flagship 1000cc sxs on 25s. It would be about a 7% reduction tho.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
The clutches are not letting go they are just initially slipping then it goes into gear. 1,3,5 and reverse use same clutch. Only slips for about 2 seconds then it locks into gear. Same thing on down shift. It's weird I'm wondering if it not something electrical. Mine has since stopped slipping .
I was more talking about the guys that had the whole pack changed out. Yours almost sounds like an actuator piston or something hanging up or not getting pressure fast enough. I just got a manual today and haven't looked at how they are operated yet.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am new to the forum. I have been doing a lot of reading on this new pk1. I am wanting to get a sxs later this year and have intentions on the pk1. I hope Honda does come up with a solution to burning up these clutches. Since I plan on mostly using it for hunting. The club I am in this sxs stock will not go far. We have a late rut. When the hunting gets good the roads get bad. Most of the members are running rangers with 29" to 30" tire and one with 32". There is 1 attic cat with 30s that goes but doesn't have the power for those tires. There are 2 commanders both with 29.5 terminators that's has no problems going where they need to go. I want the pk1 because of the room for more people during the off season. If this sxs can't handle larger tires than stock and I've read where some one burn their clutch with stock tire this bike will be a big disappointment in south Louisiana. I'm not knocking Honda at all. Honda is all I have ever owned but I need something With ground clearance and don't have to worry about belts or clutches.

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you tell you dealer the concerns and maybe even write Honda an email and state your concerns. Honda needs to know that this will not help sales at all.

Hang around and let us know what you decide. The next few months watching this unfold will be interesting.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Lol! This is what I would expect! Wiggle room for some of those choices we make here and there. :D

D

dec2k

Feb 17, 2016
Montgomery, TX

Same here Deer-hunter. I am ready to purchase right now. This forum has convinced me to wait on the purchase at least on the short term. From what I have read so far, my limited opinion is that the DCT is not a proper match to the mission of the P1K. There is not amount of convincing me that a mud bogged machine would stop spinning tires and burn up clutches.

When considering the machine versus the operating conditions, it is clear to me that the weakest link is giving up - the clutch. Right now, I am of the opinion that this is a systemic design flaw and I'll not make the purchase until I'm convinced otherwise, or decide on another brand. This is a shame too, this was NOT my choice for a first post. I intended it to be a ride report with pictures.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Same here Deer-hunter. I am ready to purchase right now. This forum has convinced me to wait on the purchase at least on the short term. From what I have read so far, my limited opinion is that the DCT is not a proper match to the mission of the P1K. There is not amount of convincing me that a mud bogged machine would stop spinning tires and burn up clutches.

When considering the machine versus the operating conditions, it is clear to me that the weakest link is giving up - the clutch. Right now, I am of the opinion that this is a systemic design flaw and I'll not make the purchase until I'm convinced otherwise, or decide on another brand. This is a shame too, this was NOT my choice for a first post. I intended it to be a ride report with pictures.

Thanks for joining the forum and welcome aboard.

As for the clutch being the weak link, I would say it's not. The weak link in my opinion happens to be the gearing. The ratios in high range are perfect but why only a 40% reduction in low range. I agree with what others have said, it should have been much lower.

Think about rock crawling with a stick shift jeep. If the driver keeps burning clutches, is it his fault or the manufacturer? If the driver is the one who replaced the stock tires with much bigger tires and never changed the gears, that is a huge problem. We have a similar situation here except in my opinion the vehicle is geared too high from the manufacturer.

Reactions: Itsalljake
advertisement