Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was thinking about this today.

Driving this DCT is like two people driving a vehicle with a standard shift. Could you imagine trying to take off on a steep hill if you were only controlling the throttle and someone else controlling the clutch? It would be very tough. This is a similar situation, we need to stay away from that "slip zone".

Driving this vehicle is really no different than driving a truck off road with a standard transmission, you have to be careful in some situations.

When I would drive off-road in my old ranger, I had to feather the clutch in technical situations. Apparently, these P1000 clutches don't like to be used the same way. Now, when I added bigger tires to my ranger, I used a lot of clutch. Then I installed lower gears and it would creep nice and slow.

So with this said, these pioneers seem to be geared to high for slow technical stuff or large tires sunk in thick mud. For the average guys, this will prob not be a problem. For me, I think my 30" Roctanes are too tall and heavy. I've got to do some more riding and get a better feel for them before I am certain about that. I may mount the Evos and see if the motor/tranny is happier with those. They are 8lbs less and probably an inch shorter.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was thinking about this today.

Driving this DCT is like two people driving a vehicle with a standard shift. Could you imagine trying to take off on a steep hill if you were only controlling the throttle and someone else controlling the clutch? It would be very tough. This is a similar situation, we need to stay away from that "slip zone".

Driving this vehicle is really no different than driving a truck off road with a standard transmission, you have to be careful in some situations.

When I would drive off-road in my old ranger, I had to feather the clutch in technical situations. Apparently, these P1000 clutches don't like to be used the same way. Now, when I added bigger tires to my ranger, I used a lot of clutch. Then I installed lower gears and it would creep nice and slow.

So with this said, these pioneers seem to be geared to high for slow technical stuff or large tires sunk in thick mud. For the average guys, this will prob not be a problem. For me, I think my 30" Roctanes are too tall and heavy. I've got to do some more riding and get a better feel for them before I am certain about that. I may mount the Evos and see if the motor/tranny is happier with those. They are 8lbs less and probably an inch shorter.

Clarification: when i said Ranger, I meant ford ranger. Not popo

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Once again I think this power-plant was designed for the African Twin Motorcycle that has less torque applied to the clutches. They may need to beef it up a little more for the Pioneer. I will probably hold onto my 700 a little longer to see how this issue gets resolved as I can not afford any downtime. My 700 is used on the farm everyday and so far flawless.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Mine as well did not slip today after I gave it nice bath. It had plenty of time to cool over night. Kinda did the self heal thing. I'm pretty sure it's toast tho. When riding it yesterday after it started slipping I let it cool off for awhile but it still slipped. Pretty sure once you get it back in the dirt and runique it for awhile it will start slipping again.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I AGREE 100% Have to be able to try and help get unstuck withthrottle.Hope you didn't think I was disagreeing.

I finally felt good about the ride. Ironed out all the rattles etc. Then this happened. Had to try and help get me out

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Looks like Honda has no problem with the clutches. Probably better to buy a low geared Highlifter Polaris for serious mud riding. They have a stronger reverse chain too. One thing is for sure this Pioneer 1000 has the power and when the wheels don't turn the clutch will fail.

Reactions: CashMoney
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine as well did not slip today after I gave it nice bath. It had plenty of time to cool over night. Kinda did the self heal thing. I'm pretty sure it's toast tho. When riding it yesterday after it started slipping I let it cool off for awhile but it still slipped. Pretty sure once you get it back in the dirt and runique it for awhile it will start slipping again.
Maybe so. I tried to get it heated back up when I got back home here at the house. Road it hard for 10-15 minutes couldn't get it to ack up. Let me know how yours makes out.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like Honda has no problem with the clutches. Probably better to buy a low geared Highlifter Polaris for serious mud riding. They have a stronger reverse chain too. One thing is for sure this Pioneer 1000 has the power and when the wheels don't turn the clutch will fail.
Bad thing is I wasn't in anything serious. 10-15 seconds of tires not turning caused it. In my opinion that's nothing. If that's the case don't plan out tring pull someone out that's stuck.

Reactions: Delton and swsebek
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bad thing is I wasn't in anything serious. 10-15 seconds of tires not turning caused it. In my opinion that's nothing. If that's the case don't plan out tring pull someone out that's stuck.
Yeah really. If it can't handle that, it's pretty much worthless.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
My guess is you guys burnt a plate or 2. When it gets in a bind it will slip now and maybe take the other ones out.

Reactions: Scooterchris
advertisement
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
My guess is you guys burnt a plate or 2. When it gets in a bind it will slip now and maybe take the other ones out.
Yeah its better to go ahead and take it in. Once they have it apart they can see the clutch plates are burnt. It's riding fine last night for 2 times around the block. But Saturday in between gears it would Rev real high like it was in neutral the I would have to let off then it would change gears then I could accelerate some more. We were in some technical trails. The p700 in front of me had no problems all day.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I rode a fresh cut logging road today in the rain. Huge ruts with lots of mud and going up a mountain. I didn't have any clutch issues but I had to drive faster than I wanted. I would have loved to creep along but it's just geared too high.

My old P700 would have creeped up it no problem.

These new pioneers are begging for lower gears in the subtrans. Maybe that needs to be Honda fix for the problem?

Reactions: PioneerPete
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
On second thought, a lower gear set in the subtrans wouldn't fix the reverse gear.

We need new gear sets in the diffs.

I bet the portal boxes will sell pretty good for these pioneers. Too bad they make the vehicle so wide and tall. I don't want any taller or wider.

Reactions: PioneerPete
TOOLOUD

TOOLOUD

Aug 10, 2015
Benton,La
What gear ratio are the pioneer diffs ? Might be able to swap them out from something else that has lower gears.

On the portals - I think they would be awesome with forward arms ( no lift in them ) The portals will be 4" lift and 3" to 4" wider
Pretty sure it's 2" per side

Last edited:
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode a fresh cut logging road today in the rain. Huge ruts with lots of mud and going up a mountain. I didn't have any clutch issues but I had to drive faster than I wanted. I would have loved to creep along but it's just geared too high.

My old P700 would have creeped up it no problem.

These new pioneers are begging for lower gears in the subtrans. Maybe that needs to be Honda fix for the problem?
You tried it in low gear as well?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Do they only add 3/4" width?

I'm not sure about the ratio in the portals. Bad thing for me is I would have to get another set of A-arms. Also, I would probably get some 6-1 wheels instead of my 5-2 wheels I currently have.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do they only add 3/4" width?

I'm not sure about the ratio in the portals. Bad thing for me is I would have to get another set of A-arms. Also, I would probably get some 6-1 wheels instead of my 5-2 wheels I currently have.
I think what he meant was 3 to 4" width on each side. I believe they are a 30% gear reduction.

Reactions: JACKAL
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Talked to the service manager today. He said he has had two in with the issue. The first one was due for service they serviced the machine and it hasn't slipped since. One is in there now and there are going to service it and see it it stops. Mine just hit 94 miles so I'm service it and go from there

TOOLOUD

TOOLOUD

Aug 10, 2015
Benton,La
Pretty sure they only add 2" per side. I also haven't seen them on a non lifted SxS. - always stacked on 6/8/10" lifts.

The portals are supposed to be a 30% GR in them.
I was asking what our gear ratio was ?

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement