Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Burnt my clutches yesterday. Playing in the mud. Stock tires, around 45 hours -400 miles or so on the unit. Slips going into 3rd and 5th.
Had it in low. 4wd and 4wd diff lock. Had a teryx 4 pulling me out. Absolutely couldn't even spin the tires. The sad part is late that day around the same area I watched my buddy in his viking get stuck. Even tho he had to winched out he was able to spin the tires and didn't burn anything up. Watched multiple rzr's and can am's get stuck in this area. Winched out. It was hard on all the units trying to get thru the mess we were in. But at the end when it was all said and down. My honda was the only one goofed up

So you are in some kind of mud pit or hole and it's bad enough the tires won't turn yet you stayed in the gas? With that powerful of a motor something has to give. I mean going through some mud is one thing going into a mess EVERYONE has to be winched out of and trying to power through it sounds like poor judgment / operator error.

Still sorry to hear you had a mechanical problem. Honda finally gives us a SXS with decent power and people will find ways to push it to the limit or beyond. Honda targeted this machine towards older male landowners as the demographic user base. I don't think seeing how big a mud holes you can get into and out of was envisioned for its use or the sub transmission would have had a 3:1 or higher ratio in low range. I just don't think the P1K is geared towards serious mudding.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
They sent the old clutch assembly back to honda is what I was told or I definitely would have. :(
We can get old part #'s off parts fiche. It the new part numbers they received we can use.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Sorry to hear that. I am curious about the design of the clutches on the dct. Are they basically the same centrifugal clutches honda has used forever or is there a different design here? I guess the other factor is the engine is much more powerful than any previous honda utv or atv so when it gets in a bind it can slip the clutch under load and burn it up. Bottom line is you do not want to bind this thing up, if you are on the throttle hard and the wheels arent moving best to stop and winch/pull it out...at least until honda figures out what is going on.
They aren't the same unfortunately. From what I was told is these clutches are small but there are alot in the clutch assembly. They told my the first disk was good but the second was wore past the grooves.
The dct was made for race cars to haul butt, but they definitely

Reactions: itsleo
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have about 160 miles on mine, broke in very easily. Yesterday I was out to move an old 4000 ford tractor that had grown to the ground for a number of years. On my first attempt, I hooks both my Honda and a JD770 tractor (4wheel drive but turf tires) to it and barely budged it. In low and 4 lock, I dug a small pit underneath each of my tires with a couple of short pull attempts. After that failure, I cut out everything growing, aired up both front tires and hooked a snatch block to the JD and pulled with my HOnda. This time the tractor came right along. After about 20 ft I notice one of the rear tires was locked up tight on the ford, but my pioneer pulled it right along without a shudder or complaint. I have pulled pretty heavy trailers up pretty good grades without issue. I'm happy with how well this machine is working. Just my 2 cents.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
We can get old part #'s off parts fiche. It the new part numbers they received we can use.
The number off of parts fiche is the same as the one on my receipt. Dunno if they have internal numbers (honda only) stamped on the clutch assembly or not.

Reactions: JACKAL
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Or it could be a batch number to track where, when, and who made it.

Reactions: Scooterchris
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
These post have made up my mind to at least wait till next model year. I just pulled my 700 off craigslist. Now I've got the coin burning a hole in my pocket! I know for 99% of my riding I'd never have a problem and my dealers getting a white one in next week. I'm thankful for people being honest here and not hiding an issue out of pride. Probably just saved my marriage lol!
Everything you have said to the letter.Even the marriage part....My 700 is staying with me for a while.My boss was going to give me top dollar for it...Maybe the price will come down as well now.and the bugs will get worked out....I am sure Honda will fix the issue.I feel bad for all that has to go without there machines.I would be jacked as well....

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
with all this talk of burnt up clutches makes me want to go bury mine and see what happens while its still under warranty vs later when there is no warranty.
Thats the thing when a guys stuck and he needs winching even if tires won't spin your still gonna try a bit as your being winched out if that little bit of trying immediately burns up clutch that's not good.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Thats the thing when a guys stuck and he needs winching even if tires won't spin your still gonna try a bit as your being winched out if that little bit of trying immediately burns up clutch that's not good.

Im not trying to be a dick towards mr jackal. But ive been riding for sometime good sir. I had to give it some gas to try and help get it unstuck. Everyone was trying but no luck. I was eventually basically snatched out of the hole by the teryx. It took a hell of snatch tho. Then through out the day i watched multiple people including a friend get stuck in the same area. They didnt burn up anything. Hell my friends viking wouldnt spin the tires at one point either. He still rode the rest of the day like nothing happened, s*** he was stuck in one hole for 2 hrs. At one point he had 3 can am four wheelers and a ranger high lifter hooked to a tree trying to pull him out with no luck. Beat the piss out of it. He still drove the rest of the day. In my case ive been at our riding spot 20 minutes and get stuck. Yes i had 4 people riding with me. 2 of which were 60 lbs and 125 lbs. and this thing burns the clutches up that easy. Give me a freakin break. Seems to me jackal. Everyone that says theyre having clutch issues. That person is doing something wrong.....

Fullthrottle. You should definitely be able to move the tires without burning up the clutch. The person helping you is pulling alot of dead weight.

Reactions: itsleo and HondaTim
advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Im not trying to be a dick towards mr jackal. But ive been riding for sometime good sir. I had to give it some gas to try and help get it unstuck. Everyone was trying but no luck. I was eventually basically snatched out of the hole by the teryx. It took a hell of snatch tho. Then through out the day i watched multiple people including a friend get stuck in the same area. They didnt burn up anything. Hell my friends viking wouldnt spin the tires at one point either. He still rode the rest of the day like nothing happened, s*** he was stuck in one hole for 2 hrs. At one point he had 3 can am four wheelers and a ranger high lifter hooked to a tree trying to pull him out with no luck. Beat the piss out of it. He still drove the rest of the day. In my case ive been at our riding spot 20 minutes and get stuck. Yes i had 4 people riding with me. 2 of which were 60 lbs and 125 lbs. and this thing burns the clutches up that easy. Give me a freakin break. Seems to me jackal. Everyone that says theyre having clutch issues. That person is doing something wrong.....

Fullthrottle. You should definitely be able to move the tires without burning up the clutch. The person helping you is pulling alot of dead weight.

I take no offense, I guess more briefly I am just trying to say, Honda probably didn't anticipate the depth and type of mud hole some people are getting into and the machines were not optimized for that type of use meaning low range and reverse would be 50% lower than they are now out of an abundance of caution.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you are in some kind of mud pit or hole and it's bad enough the tires won't turn yet you stayed in the gas? With that powerful of a motor something has to give. I mean going through some mud is one thing going into a mess EVERYONE has to be winched out of and trying to power through it sounds like poor judgment / operator error.

Still sorry to hear you had a mechanical problem. Honda finally gives us a SXS with decent power and people will find ways to push it to the limit or beyond. Honda targeted this machine towards older male landowners as the demographic user base. I don't think seeing how big a mud holes you can get into and out of was envisioned for its use or the sub transmission would have had a 3:1 or higher ratio in low range. I just don't think the P1K is geared towards serious mudding.
I resemble that remark, sounds like I should have no problems with my 1000 deluxe. I always make use of the winch instead of abusing the clutch.

100 0954

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015

I AGREE 100% Have to be able to try and help get unstuck withthrottle.Hope you didn't think I was disagreeing.

Reactions: Scooterchris
mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
Let me know how new clutch is. I sure hope it better than factory.

me
Man it ride like a champ.. Not sure that it was a different clutch... I rode all weekend and played hard... Red creek was a great time and was glad to see some people from the forum there

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
I've got 200 easy miles on mine and no problems yet, haven't been in much mud but I'm sure it will come at one point but I'm not gonna go crazy with it, but my opinion with stock tires no matter how bad the mudhole tires should still spin. Hopefully they will get this issue fixed shortly.

Reactions: Rippinnrarrin
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is how it happen I was in 4 wheel lock low gear. Tring to climb out a sandy hard bottom hole. Front tires where on top of natural ground. With gas petel all the way it would barly I mean barly turn the tires. Only let it try to pull like that that for prob 10-15 seconds seen it wouldn't pull backed off. I would not suggest putting a strap on anyone to pull them out this would duplicate my senerio. Just to clearify I wouldn't say clutch it burnt in 1,3,5 it just slips on initial engagement for about 2 seconds once it engages it's solid. Basically if you have the gas petal pressed tires better be turning or you going be in same boat !
Update by some kind of self healing while traveling back home the Honda fixed it self while on the trailer it slipped all day Saturday while riding. I get it home unload it and no more slipping. I'm puzzled.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update by some kind of self healing while traveling back home the Honda fixed it self while on the trailer it slipped all day Saturday while riding. I get it home unload it and no more slipping. I'm puzzled.

Hmmm, I wonder what proper operating temp is for these DCT's. Any place open to tap in a temp gauge? Slippage would occur if a clutch is not cooling properly right? or am I wrong?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
make sure they're not slipping at full operating temperature before declaring victory. if the oil is not up to full operating temp then the clutch plates won't be as likely to slip.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmm, I wonder what proper operating temp is for these DCT's. Any place open to tap in a temp gauge? Slippage would occur if a clutch is not cooling properly right? or am I wrong?
I thought it might have gotten hot also but we rode off and on all day it have time to cool. And even after sitting over night in Friday. Saturday morning it slipped off the get go.

advertisement