P1000 Clutches burnt up

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
To be honest, I'll probably keep mine until next year but will be eyeing either the ranger highlifter edition or the general. I was going to try to get portals, but I don't know if I want to spend the money and chance it. I'll just have to wait and see.

B

bdiesel3

Feb 14, 2016
West MI
Is there friction modifiers in the oil, like what goes into a limited slip rear end? I am thinking I might sell mine while it's still new, only 58 miles and hold out for something else. I like this machine a lot, but scared of the clutch failure.

A

aquatic1998

Dec 23, 2015
Hey Serial Fordicator, when your clutch was slipping did you happen to notice if your oil light came on also , or did you just feel it slipping.

Reactions: CashMoney
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Hey Serial Fordicator, when your clutch was slipping did you happen to notice if your oil light came on also , or did you just feel it slipping.
No oil light just slipping. It took alot of rpms to take off.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
On mine it when I pulled out of the hole I could instantly feel it was slipping
..5 to 6000 rpms before it engages and takes off. Now switching between gears
From 2 to 3 and then 4 to 5 it would basically just rev. Like you pushed in the clutch and reved the gas. Then it would eventually engage and off you went

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Portals are definitely 4 inches per side.Also depends what offset wheels are can bring them in a bit over top portals.Getting portals and then getting larger tires only helps to maintain stock gearing so if the clutch is burning up with stock tires etc nit really going to help.

B

Bornlzr

Nov 13, 2015
Everything has limits!
47f998518666 sf 6

Reactions: JACKAL
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
At first I really wasn't too concerned about the clutch issue but from what you guys are saying, it's the gears. I won't be doing much muddling but certainly lots of hill climbs on rutted trails. Can I have an honest answer to this:

Knowing what you know now about the 1000, and you could go back to the day you signed the papers. Would you still buy the 1000?

This will really help those of us who are just about to buy. I know it's a bit of a loaded question because it's based on your use. If you are on a flat farm there will be no real issue with high gears but if you like the mud or doing technical trails then it will.

Thanks

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
At first I really wasn't too concerned about the clutch issue but from what you guys are saying, it's the gears. I won't be doing much muddling but certainly lots of hill climbs on rutted trails. Can I have an honest answer to this:

Knowing what you know now about the 1000, and you could go back to the day you signed the papers. Would you still buy the 1000?

This will really help those of us who are just about to buy. I know it's a bit of a loaded question because it's based on your use. If you are on a flat farm there will be no real issue with high gears but if you like the mud or doing technical trails then it will.

Thanks

Nope. Sure would NOT. This weekend was the first weekend I've taken it out to a mudding event.
The noise I had/loss of power/clutches slipping I have now determined all to be the samething started back when I was out climbing hills with it

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks
465 miles of trail riding for me and alot of it in real rocky and steep terrain. the engine braking is awsome going down steep inclines. i alway put it in low for really rocky areas or when i cannot travel faster than 10mph. low range is perfect on my machine .

advertisement
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015

Thanks
I honestly wouldn't. If a 17k machine can't do what I want, then I don't need it.

Reactions: swsebek
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
465 miles of trail riding for me and alot of it in real rocky and steep terrain. the engine braking is awsome going down steep inclines. i alway put it in low for really rocky areas or when i cannot travel faster than 10mph. low range is perfect on my machine .
That gives me some reassurance because that's what my primary use would be. Trail riding and using it as a hunting rig.

Reactions: franzw
adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013

Thanks

@1000 miles in south FL, sand ,water, mud, and trails . Running 27" stock tires still, zero issues, zero slipping (so far ). Yes i would buy it again as of now.

Reactions: McPioneer
ua13gt

ua13gt

Oct 13, 2015
Rincon, GA

Thanks

Probably not.
I hastily jumped out of my 2015 Polaris RZR 900 Trail on a three strike rule, turf mode broke twice and wheel bearing went out with less than 100 miles. I would have probably kept it a little longer before jumping ship had I known there is design flaws with the gearing or clutches in the Pioneer 1000. Being a lifelong Honda off-road vehicle enthusiast and evangelist seems to have bitten me in the ass. Dammit! Now I am reluctant to customize or buy accessories for my unit. I guess I will start using it harder this weekend to see if it gets to stay or if it has to go.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That gives me some reassurance because that's what my primary use would be. Trail riding and using it as a hunting rig.
The same reason I bought mine, more room, lots of comfort but I need to creep along slowly thru the woods. Haven't had a lot of chance to run it much (live in large city ), hoping it will still serve my purposes. Should have enough power to drag big game back to camp. Heck my old 350 fourtrax could do it all.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks
This post come out after I bought mine as well. I would have waited too. I been watching this thread from the beginning and worring. This past weekend was first time I took mine out as well and my worries came true, my slipping is same as described but not as bad. It only slip for just a little and then grab. It has since stopped slipping so I guess we will see. Dealer told me to do the first service and see how it does.

Reactions: McPioneer
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good afternoon SxS members. I am not sure how many members we have or how many currently own one of the Pioneer 1000 models. I currently do not yet own one.
I see a few different threads started on what is liked vs what not or what to change if could. I see SPORTTRAC4x4 has a very good post idea started in the 1000 reviews section. It would help me emotionally :confused::D Lol! and maybe some owners with/without machine problems if every one could stop by there and give your machine a review so maybe we can isolate just how many machines are having issues here. Nooooo Pressure!

Cheers!:) - Stauvo

Last edited:
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Probably not.
I hastily jumped out of my 2015 Polaris RZR 900 Trail on a three strike rule, turf mode broke twice and wheel bearing went out with less than 100 miles. I would have probably kept it a little longer before jumping ship had I known there is design flaws with the gearing or clutches in the Pioneer 1000. Being a lifelong Honda off-road vehicle enthusiast and evangelist seems to have bitten me in the ass. Dammit! Now I am reluctant to customize or buy accessories for my unit. I guess I will start using it harder this weekend to see if it gets to stay or if it has to go.
I suppose my situation is a little different in that I don't already have a ride. I was hoping my purchase to be a lasting one, to build up and keep for a long time. I am now considering going back to my original thought of taking a 500 or 700 and keep it for a couple of years and then trade up. I will lose a couple to three grand in doing this but in the long run it will be less costly and I will have a tried and tested machine. If I wasn't so impatient I would wait another year as my kids get older I only have another year or two where they will still want to spend weekends on the trail with me.

K

Kyguy52

Feb 23, 2016
Ky
My dad already had his clutches burnt up on his 1000-5 too. It roughly had 50 miles when he took it for its first real trail ride and by the end of the ride it would barely pull out. Honda put new clutches in it and has been fine since but he hasn't had it back out on the trail yet. They had no real answer of what caused the problem. They did say it showed a tranny sensor bad too

advertisement