P1000 Clutches burnt up

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Tried the Barnett's. Made 2 passes and bike wouldn't pull itself back down the return road. Tried EBC too with disappointing results went back with OEM and never looked back.
track king clutches or oem!!!! if u ever have a problem with breaking clutch track king is the way to go

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
track king clutches or oem!!!! if u ever have a problem with breaking clutch track king is the way to go
Never broke any. Mostly heat buildup warping the steel plates causing it to shudder really bad. Especially with the 1100XX motor. Blackbird clutch was notorious for shaking. Disassembling the clutch basket and shimming the springs helped.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Never broke any. Mostly heat buildup warping the steel plates causing it to shudder really bad. Especially with the 1100XX motor. Blackbird clutch was notorious for shaking. Disassembling the clutch basket and shimming the springs helped.
Steels are good regardless of color!!! Put steels on glass see witch ones are warped replace those!!! Also sometimes better to go with strong springs every other leg then extra light to make up for heavy ones to get desired static pressure

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Steels are good regardless of color!!! Put steels on glass see witch ones are warped replace those!!! Also sometimes better to go with strong springs every other leg then extra light to make up for heavy ones to get desired static pressure
Shotpeening the steels also helped. Well, for the 900RR plates it did. Didn't seem to affect the Blackbird clutch for some reason. Never did understand that one.

Reactions: Kingmudd
adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
Thats funny, no matter what your what you ride. "Man, now i got dirt in my wheels" LOL

Reactions: mikegzales
TOOLOUD

TOOLOUD

Aug 10, 2015
Benton,La
I too will be looking into Portals late this year or early next year too. They add about 4" of width in addition to 4" lift.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
Its also not unheard of that the dealer that has had two burn up the clutches could have had something to do with it.
The crappy dealer I bought mine from left trash in my 700 trans, piece of RED shop rag.
Got the call today... Honda is fixing the clutch... Hopefully by this weekend so I can go to red creek... Depends on availability of the parts

advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No not yet... Just wanted to know the conditions I was in when it happened
I'd be curious to know the "wrong" answer to that question... I wonder what "conditions" would cause them to not warranty the clutch/tranny? Did you tell them you were in off road conditions?lol

Reactions: Farmer
mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
I'd be curious to know the "wrong" answer to that question... I wonder what "conditions" would cause them to not warranty the clutch/tranny? Did you tell them you were in off road conditions?lol
no i told them off-road use ... the issue started in alabama on some higher inclines.... no clue what the wrong answer would be... the service guy started with saying no matter what your answer is to the next few questions are, honda will replace the clutch, so how did ya do it

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Isnt everyone using their Pioneer for offroad use? Otherwise it would be called a truck.

Reactions: joeymt33
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
All the manufacturers watch the forums. With a new product most will do a good will warranty for abusive use. They need to see the damaged parts too. Polaris is the worst on warranty but most other brands are way better. Honda should get these failures fixed right away. Yamaha just fixed a 3rd gear failure with the gear dogs hammered due to a huge missed shift without the clutch. I worked for a dealer in the late 60's that sponsored a rider on Bultaco. He broke the trans a few times. The dealer told the rider it was a lot easier to replace the rider then the transmission. Hello, we had no more trans problems.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the call today... Honda is fixing the clutch... Hopefully by this weekend so I can go to red creek... Depends on availability of the parts
I tried book a spot last week it is booked

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Watched this post from the beggining till now.Noone asked what size tires they are running.Now the thread starter is talking of getting 4 inch portals.You only put those on if you are running oversize tires.No one does this with stock tires.Not trying to tell anyone how to drive up hills"backwards or forwards"but just trying to see how this 1000 is coming along.

Reactions: Scooterchris
advertisement