P1000 Clutches burnt up

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
What just gets me with this thread it appears from reading the posts that the opinion is there is some form of systemic weakness of the DCT design and it like OMG out of an abundance of caution I guess, or that people generally gravitate to the negative or worse case suspicion. But the overwhelming majority of the Pioneer 1000's are not having any reported identical issues but that apparently doesn't count for anything.
Or that maybe people are worried when spending 18k on an atv, they don't want a catastrophic weakness. Just because there are only 2 on an Internet forum with first hand knowledge doesn't mean there isn't alot more out. This forum only represents a small fraction of owners.
What if us 2 were polaris owners and reported our razrs went up in flames? Were the yfz1000r clutch issues not something that was happening? How many owners of both have you personally communicated with that had these two issues? Are these 2 issues blown out of proportion? Are other yfz and razr owners are fearful of the same?

Last edited:
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
What just gets me with this thread it appears from reading the posts that the opinion is there is some form of systemic weakness of the DCT design and it like OMG out of an abundance of caution I guess, or that people generally gravitate to the negative or worse case suspicion. But the overwhelming majority of the Pioneer 1000's are not having any reported identical issues but that apparently doesn't count for anything.
My thoughts are that people who don't have a Pioneer 1000 are going to to be leaning towards being negative and worse case scenarios this is where the fear comes into play. I for one have no qualms about buying one, in fact I can hardly wait to get one. I think if you are nervous about new technology you shouldn't buy a new model year anything. I was hesitant at first when I joined the forum about buying a first model year but after some research I'm confident in my decision.

People will tell 100 people if they are unhappy about a product but will only tell 4 or 5 when they are happy or satisfied. It's human nature unfortunately. I mean it not a bad thing to discuss what you don't like about your machine because it only helps people come up with ideas to fix what they don't like. There are lots of posts where people have said that the transmission is smooth as silk, in fact more good comments than bad but we only remember the negative. I love hearing the great things about the machine but I also like to hear the things that people are disappointed with. Why? Because it portrays honesty, no machine is perfect but as long as the positives outweigh the negatives.

I do believe that there is an issue with some of the machines but I honestly think it's something simple. Easy for me to say when I don't have a machine but for the guys who's machines are in the shop getting taken apart it's got to be a gut wrenching ordeal. I only wish a speedy resolve for those unfortunate members.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would think Honda would issue a service bulletin instead of a recall if something was wrong with the design or assembly. It's a fairly popular tactic for a manufacturer to cover their butts without officially saying they screwed up. With a bulletin they fix problems as they show up versus a recall that calls all machines in for service. I've said it before and will say it again. DCT's aren't new to Honda, just new to their sxs lines. Their F1 cars have had them for years. Anyhoo, mines still fine at 12.6 hours lol.

Reactions: CashMoney
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I think its worth mentioning at least the few issues that have happened no one has said it left them stranded where they had to walk home. I'm ok with some problems as long as I can get home to get it figured out which I'm confident Honda will do if there is in fact a problem.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Honda really need to hammer into their engineering teams that it isn't about what they want but what their customers want. Everyone I've talked with, n

Or that maybe people are worried when spending 18k on an atv, they don't want a catastrophic weakness. Just because there are only 2 on an Internet forum with first hand knowledge doesn't mean there isn't alot more out. This forum only represents a small fraction of owners.
What if us 2 were polaris owners and reported our razrs went up in flames? Were the yfz1000r clutch issues not something that was happening? How many owners of both have you personally communicated with that had these two issues? Are these 2 issues blown out of proportion? Are other yfz and razr owners are fearful of the same?

I tend to disagree with the concept of that post and here is why. When a person has a problem the very first thing that happens is they are posting on forums, Facebook, and YouTube that thier machine had a problem, failure, etc. To let the world know about thier negative experience. But what you don't see posted it the 1000 plus people that dont have a problem and are very happy with thier purchase.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I tend to disagree with the concept of that post and here is why. When a person has a problem the very first thing that happens is they are posting on forums, Facebook, and YouTube that thier machine had a problem, failure, etc. To let the world know about thier negative experience. But what you don't see posted it the 1000 plus people that dont have a problem and are very happy with thier purchase.

Food for thought........

If you see one mouse... odds are there are 5 more that you didn't.

One unhappy customer will tell everyone.
A happy customer tells very few.

I think that there are two very good views on this thread. But, the speculators need to just sit back and watch to see how Honda handles this.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
@Farmer I agree, but here is a fact as of Wednesday only a few Pioneer 1000's with transmission issues and yes two of them are at the same dealer and the third is @Serial_Fordicator machine. So if there are possible dozens of unknowns none have reported it to a dealer to make a repair claim. I will just leave it at that.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
My dealer is aware of the problem but has not had one come back for this. He has sold quite a few and is getting me a red P1000-3 eps for under 14K in a month. I will hang on to my 700 longer if I hear of more clutch failures, though.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
Ok so is it so wild to think that when a dead line has to be met and jobs are on the line that shortcuts or mistakes can be made? Highlifter for example sent the wrong size bolts for the 1000 lift... I honestly have enjoyed the hell out of my 1000 and I am ready to get this fixed and over with... Hoping everyone has a great day... The last post I will make on this thread until my dealership tells me what is wrong and when I will get it fixed... By the way honda of Covington has been very professional about this whole thing and at no point have I been rude to them because I know they have their hands tied... So if you are thinking about buying one,even with my issue,I know this is the best ride out there and can't wait to see more of them on the trails

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so is it so wild to think that when a dead line has to be met and jobs are on the line that shortcuts or mistakes can be made? Highlifter for example sent the wrong size bolts for the 1000 lift... I honestly have enjoyed the hell out of my 1000 and I am ready to get this fixed and over with... Hoping everyone has a great day... The last post I will make on this thread until my dealership tells me what is wrong and when I will get it fixed... By the way honda of Covington has been very professional about this whole thing and at no point have I been rude to them because I know they have their hands tied... So if you are thinking about buying one,even with my issue,I know this is the best ride out there and can't wait to see more of them on the trails

Its also not unheard of that the dealer that has had two burn up the clutches could have had something to do with it.
The crappy dealer I bought mine from left trash in my 700 trans, piece of RED shop rag.

advertisement
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1,888 miles and 108.9 hours. No problems and going to install high end Fox Shocks. Just love the engine performance.
620 miles and going strong. I read a thread about diff noise and decided to change fluids. I went with Lucas 75w-140 in both front and rear. So happy. I did a 60 mile run in the Mohave today and it cut the noise down considerably. I was all smiles today. I am going to look into going full synthetic engine and subtrans fluids to achieve the same results. I also installed some headliner material to my roof and stopped the echo. This is the best machine on the planet, my opinion. I do have an issue with dust in the cockpit with my glass windshield. I think I will use it in cold weather and opt to use the half for summer. Any suggestions on maybe a air scoop to increase cabin pressure to thwart the dust bunnies?

B

Blackstone

Jul 7, 2015
620 miles and going strong. I read a thread about diff noise and decided to change fluids. I went with Lucas 75w-140 in both front and rear. So happy. I did a 60 mile run in the Mohave today and it cut the noise down considerably. I was all smiles today. I am going to look into going full synthetic engine and subtrans fluids to achieve the same results. I also installed some headliner material to my roof and stopped the echo. This is the best machine on the planet, my opinion. I do have an issue with dust in the cockpit with my glass windshield. I think I will use it in cold weather and opt to use the half for summer. Any suggestions on maybe a air scoop to increase cabin pressure to thwart the dust bunnies?
Where did you get your headliner material from?

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Honda has decades of experience with dct's. Even "if" there's a problem with the clutch design, they will make good on it. As for Barnett not making clutches for the 1000, that's perfectly fine with me. I dragraced a CBR1000F and CBR900RR for around 17 years and went through alot of clutches. No aftermarket clutch (especially Barnett) even came close to OEM quality.
I agree!!! normally Oem are better. Barnett are junk in the sport bikes. drag racing anyway!!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree!!! normally Oem are better. Barnett are junk in the sport bikes. drag racing anyway!!
Tried the Barnett's. Made 2 passes and bike wouldn't pull itself back down the return road. Tried EBC too with disappointing results went back with OEM and never looked back.

B

bdiesel3

Feb 14, 2016
West MI
did any of you check the oil level in your trans at the time of problems noticed. I believe these clutches are engaged with oil pressure and low oil may cause air in the system meaning clutch slip or shudder. Just my thoughts, maybe I missed this earlier if it was brought up already.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I like the Super ATV 4" Portal Gear Lift. The lift and gear reduction should be great for Huge tires. Hope they offer it for the Hondas. It will reduce the top speed.
PGH 7 32 Can Am Maverick Portal Gear Lift 1
PGH 7 32 Can Am Maverick Portal Gear Lift 2

Can-Am Maverick 4" Portal Gear Lift : Can-Am : Maverick : Maverick Non-Turbo : Lift Kits

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement