P1000 Clutches burnt up

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
I won't be charged to the very end of its my fault.. But look at the guys comment saying something was left out
Yea I seen that I just wanna make sure your not getting wrongfully charged.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
Today I found out from my dealer who has two in for clutch's that a piece in the clutch was miss placed on the assembly line. Honda is at the plant inSC now locating the problem.
Where are you located? That way I can reference this info
Yea I seen that I just wanna make sure your not getting wrongfully charged.
hoping that guy will forward me any items replaced and and any emails or paperwork sent

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
I just got off the phone with my service guy and he said honda is sending a new clutch. He also stated that they (honda not the dealer) are finding alot of people are having issues with the primary (1,3,5 gear) clutch.

Last edited:
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
If the issue is with the assembly, I doubt Honda will do a recall, they will just fix When reported an issue. To announce a recall would have such a bad impact. When I was having issues with my car the dealer said they know the manufacturer has had issues with some cars that they see the same issue repeatedly but would rather fix as they come than admit there is a problem.

Sounds like an easy fix so anyone with shuddering should probably contact their dealer.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
If the issue is with the assembly, I doubt Honda will do a recall, they will just fix When reported an issue. To announce a recall would have such a bad impact. When I was having issues with my car the dealer said they know the manufacturer has had issues with some cars that they see the same issue repeatedly but would rather fix as they come than admit there is a problem.

Sounds like an easy fix so anyone with shuddering should probably contact their dealer.
Those darn ufo sightings are coming true it seems

Reactions: Stauvo
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mike do you recall reversing up any steep inclines, or did your clutch go out due to some other scenario? can you give some details of when/how your clutch was damaged (to the best of your recollection)? I know fordicator's happened while reversing up a steep hill, and I think I damaged mine reversing up a steep hill also is why I ask. Just trying to see if there is a common link.

Reactions: Smitty335
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Where there is smoke there is fire! Pun intended, although not sure if the clutches actually smoke:)

In all seriousness though I don't see why @dezs1775 dealer would say that about the plant without having knowledge but maybe I'm just too trusting. I believe everyone on the forum wants Honda to prosper and move closer to the top dog in the off-road world again. When there is a bump in the road we need to acknowledge it and not just pass it off as a fart. Unfortunately the forum will not always have hard facts or proof without having first hand experience. The old "if you don't have photos it never happened" mind set is at play. I do agree that sometimes 3rd or 4th hand hearsay can be unreliable- my friends cousins postman told my vet so it must be true!

We should still be able to talk and discuss issues that members are havin with their machines with some common sense and a dash of cluelessness. We obviously don't need to all grab our pitchforks and torches. If a member says his dealer told him that he has 3 machines in with clutch issues then I have no reason to believe that what he is saying is not true.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where there is smoke there is fire! Pun intended, although not sure if the clutches actually smoke:)

In all seriousness though I don't see why @dezs1775 dealer would say that about the plant without having knowledge but maybe I'm just too trusting. I believe everyone on the forum wants Honda to prosper and move closer to the top dog in the off-road world again. When there is a bump in the road we need to acknowledge it and not just pass it off as a fart. Unfortunately the forum will not always have hard facts or proof without having first hand experience. The old "if you don't have photos it never happened" mind set is at play. I do agree that sometimes 3rd or 4th hand hearsay can be unreliable- my friends cousins postman told my vet so it must be true!

We should still be able to talk and discuss issues that members are havin with their machines with some common sense and a dash of cluelessness. We obviously don't need to all grab our pitchforks and torches. If a member says his dealer told him that he has 3 machines in with clutch issues then I have no reason to believe that what he is saying is not true.

Your are right. This has been a lively discussion and I have added my own two cents a few times here and there with some comedy some concern and worry as I have a purchase date coming up. But I have at no time sensed any one trolling or trying to start a Honda grass fire. I think were all mature enough, So to be accused of UFO sittings and crying Wolf is B as in B and S as in S.

advertisement
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today I found out from my dealer who has two in for clutch's that a piece in the clutch was miss placed on the assembly line. Honda is at the plant inSC now locating the problem.

Wow, you can really read into this! A piece in the clutch was "misplaced" meaning he/she set it down and then could'nt find it? Misplaced it as "placing it in/on the wrong part of the clutch"? Misaligned? "Not set within factory specs"? Before we trying finding out which shift he or she works on and what day of the week these faulty machines where built on ie: Mon, Fri, Voluntary Overtime New Years Day, After the Honda X-Mas Party.

Lets dig a bit deeper, majority of this machine and machine parts are manufactured in the USA, Pioneers are assembled and parts manufactured at the plant in S.C. Engines come complete from Japan, clutches and all. Assembler A swings his JIG lift around hooks the engine from a crate and puts it in place. Plugs in the wires bolts it down and gets ready for the next frame to come thru.

A issue with a piece of the clutch being "misplaced" would mean the issue came from engine assembly at the factory, and I am not talking of the factory in S.C

The 700 was recalled because of a engineering design, not of a "possible mechanical failure".

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Got over 1800 miles now and will do a 2000 mile report in a week or two. The reverse shudder is not noticeable now. It may be that I'm just getting used to giving a bit more throttle on take off. I have a red 3 seat model frame number 24. All DCT have close ratio gears for smooth shifting. On easy acceleration mine shifts into 6th gear at about 28 mph. In deep loose sand I run in 5th from 30 to 40 and use 6th gear for 40 to 55. I don't go over 50 much to reduce the danger. After reading about the clutch failures it looks like super slow driving uphill in reverse may be the problem but its way too early to tell. Two of my friends have the Pioneer 1000 and I willcheck theirs

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I will check theirs for take off shudder in a week or two. I put on over 15,000 miles a year and this is my 14th side by side since December 2004. I drive hard but don't abuse my machines. I need reliability and do a of of remote riding. No jumping, bottoming out the suspension, and no deep water. I sell most of my side by sides to my buddies.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Well I still think there may be a problem with a small amount of machines, but don't think there is a huge issue with all of them.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I was taking a sip of my tea and spat it all over the table when I read that. Made me laugh so much, should be in joke of the day.

You mean this part :)
They're talkin' about you and it's bringin' me down
But I know the neighborhood
And talk is cheap when the story is good
And the tales grow taller on down the line
But I'm telling you, babe
That I don't think it's true, babe

If the FUDO in the thread fits wear it.

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
You mean this part :)
They're talkin' about you and it's bringin' me down
But I know the neighborhood
And talk is cheap when the story is good
And the tales grow taller on down the line
But I'm telling you, babe
That I don't think it's true, babe

If the FUDO in the thread fits wear it.
Well I just saw the photo and the name of the song and I burst out laughing. Was very well executed!

Not sure what FUDO means though?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Well I just saw the photo and the name of the song and I burst out laughing. Was very well executed!

Not sure what FUDO means though?

FUDO - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, & Opinion - what drives the internet in the absence of facts, truth, and knowledge.

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
FUDO - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, & Opinion - what drives the internet in the absence of facts, truth, and knowledge.
The absence of knowlege is definitely true for this thread because we don't know what the issues is. The truth, well I would like to think people are being honest in their posts but that I will never truly know. The facts- the information we are given by the owners affected but without truth they are no point to all of this.

From truth comes facts but if truth is not given then eventually the facts will bring out the truth; both lead to knowlege. Right now we are basing our discussions on truth (unless we have untruthful posts) and facts, trying to gain knowlege.

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt & Opinion are in all of the threads but I thought that's how we present our cases to gain knowlege. If someone wants 30" tires on their machine there is a certain amount of fear, uncertainty and doubt that they will not fit without a lift but usually someone's opinion will end up being true and then knowlege is gained.

We could all just read threads and not post untill we have a factual knowledgeable answer -no opinions given.

Not being an owner of a machine yet I'm probably better off just sitting in the bleachers.

Reactions: Stauvo
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
The absence of knowlege is definitely true for this thread because we don't know what the issues is. The truth, well I would like to think people are being honest in their posts but that I will never truly know. The facts- the information we are given by the owners affected but without truth they are no point to all of this.

From truth comes facts but if truth is not given then eventually the facts will bring out the truth; both lead to knowlege. Right now we are basing our discussions on truth (unless we have untruthful posts) and facts, trying to gain knowlege.

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt & Opinion are in all of the threads but I thought that's how we present our cases to gain knowlege. If someone wants 30" tires on their machine there is a certain amount of fear, uncertainty and doubt that they will not fit without a lift but usually someone's opinion will end up being true and then knowlege is gained.

We could all just read threads and not post untill we have a factual knowledgeable answer -no opinions given.

Not being an owner of a machine yet I'm probably better off just sitting in the bleachers.

What just gets me with this thread it appears from reading the posts that the opinion is there is some form of systemic weakness of the DCT design and it like OMG out of an abundance of caution I guess, or that people generally gravitate to the negative or worse case suspicion. But the overwhelming majority of the Pioneer 1000's are not having any reported identical issues but that apparently doesn't count for anything.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement