Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the advice. I'll call them tomorrow.
I called and the dealer said they sent the computer info to Honda and haven't gotten a response. They will contact Honda Thursday if they don't here anything tomorrow. It's been 3 weeks, good thing I wasn't in a hurry.

They won't get in much of a hurry for a warranty repair.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am actually in a hurry.. I have plans to bring my kids to a mud fest in two weeks...
ride their ass Mike! I'm sure I'm not alone in saying the rest of us want to know more about this issue and how much it cost to fix it (even though I'm sure its covered under warranty for now)

jguillot

jguillot

Jan 15, 2016
Mike, look for us at Red Creek! I hope your rig is fixed in time. We were at Muddy Joes a couple weeks ago. Even some of the "big boys" were impressed with the P1k

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
I am also very interested to find out what the issues is, all machines have their limitations but it would be good to know going in. I'm sure there are lots of the people viewing this thread who are considering buying one and are wondering if they should hold off. I can't believe there are almost 6000 views on this thread already! Personally, if my bike sells tomorrow I will still be buying one. I do not think a company like Honda would put out a machine without knowing if it's going to work in real life situations, there is always teething problems but there should be nothing serious. I do find it interesting that there is another one in at your dealership with the same problem, this really peaked my curiosity. I wonder if @HondaTech has any pioneers through his shop with this issue or could give us some insight as to his thoughts on what the problem is.

I hope this is an easy fix and you get your machine back on the road. Your dealer should offer you a free service or valve adjustment for the time that they have had your machine regardless if you could ride it or not. If it's not ready for your upcoming ride I would ask for one of their demo models to take for your trip. It's not a dig at the dealer but you have been inconvenienced.

Best of luck to you!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at PioneerPetes service manual and we checked out the clutch section briefly. The actual clutch looked like any other but the actuator was something I've never seen before. I'm betting alot of the shuddering and maybe even this problem is related to it. Just a guess though.

Reactions: PioneerPete
clayduster71

clayduster71

Sep 20, 2015
Jonesborough, TN
WeShipFloors.com
I am also very interested to find out what the issues is, all machines have their limitations but it would be good to know going in. I'm sure there are lots of the people viewing this thread who are considering buying one and are wondering if they should hold off. I can't believe there are almost 6000 views on this thread already! Personally, if my bike sells tomorrow I will still be buying one. I do not think a company like Honda would put out a machine without knowing if it's going to work in real life situations, there is always teething problems but there should be nothing serious. I do find it interesting that there is another one in at your dealership with the same problem, this really peaked my curiosity. I wonder if @HondaTech has any pioneers through his shop with this issue or could give us some insight as to his thoughts on what the problem is.

I hope this is an easy fix and you get your machine back on the road. Your dealer should offer you a free service or valve adjustment for the time that they have had your machine regardless if you could ride it or not. If it's not ready for your upcoming ride I would ask for one of their demo models to take for your trip. It's not a dig at the dealer but you have been inconvenienced.

Best of luck to you!

Yep - Lots of people reading. I'll keep my 700-4 for a while longer.....

Reactions: swsebek
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
oh joy.... love to read all this now. what kills me is that this is a utility sxs that you would think they would have focused on lower speed performance. sure it can do over 60mph but thats for sport sxs's, instead they give us a high first gear and reverse gear. ugh... just ranting as mines in the shop for a shifter cable.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
oh joy.... love to read all this now. what kills me is that this is a utility sxs that you would think they would have focused on lower speed performance. sure it can do over 60mph but thats for sport sxs's, instead they give us a high first gear and reverse gear. ugh... just ranting as mines in the shop for a shifter cable.
It would be an easy gear reduction from what I see. We'll just have to wait and put pressure on companies so they know there is a demand.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
Mike, look for us at Red Creek! I hope your rig is fixed in time. We were at Muddy Joes a couple weeks ago. Even some of the "big boys" were impressed with the P1k
i was at muddy joes and will be at red creek ... it still drives and if i need to go get it from them and bring it back i will.... didnt pay what i paid to sit in the passenger seat of a polaris and watch my buddy have fun

Reactions: Delton and amc019
advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i was at muddy joes and will be at red creek ... it still drives and if i need to go get it from them and bring it back i will.... didnt pay what i paid to sit in the passenger seat of a polaris and watch my buddy have fun
Stay on them. If they're close enough, a couple personal visits a week would maybe help. It's alot easier to blow someone off on the phone. Eye to eye gets better results. Totally understand your frustration.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
Stay on them. If they're close enough, a couple personal visits a week would maybe help. It's alot easier to blow someone off on the phone. Eye to eye gets better results. Totally understand your frustration.[/QUOTE
It will be at red creek mud fest next weekend whether it's fixed or not... If not fixed it will be on a trailer in front of the trail entrance with signs saying "burnt clutch and 3 weeks later not a wrench turned"

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It will be at red creek mud fest next weekend whether it's fixed or not... If not fixed it will be on a trailer in front of the trail entrance with signs saying "burnt clutch and 3 weeks later not a wrench turned"
Social media. The best voice the little guy has ever or will ever have. I had a dealer refuse to give me my 500.00 deposit back. I knew it was non-refundable but the deal was he would beat the deal I already had. When he couldn't come close to the deal I had, I went to get my money and he flat out refused. I didn't argue I just said okay and left. Went home and ripped him a new one on FB. It wasn't 2 days later he was calling wanting me to come back so he could put money back on my card.
I'd suggest making sure who exactly was dragging their feet first though. It may actually be Honda that is putting you off. And it's be hard to pressure them.

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
Social media. The best voice the little guy has ever or will ever have. I had a dealer refuse to give me my 500.00 deposit back. I knew it was non-refundable but the deal was he would beat the deal I already had. When he couldn't come close to the deal I had, I went to get my money and he flat out refused. I didn't argue I just said okay and left. Went home and ripped him a new one on FB. It wasn't 2 days later he was calling wanting me to come back so he could put money back on my card.
I'd suggest making sure who exactly was dragging their feet first though. It may actually be Honda that is putting you off. And it's be hard to pressure them.
No doubt it is honda... They wanted to get computer readings but this has already taken almost two weeks to do... This thread has over 6000 views so hopefully honda knows they could be missing sales

Reactions: McPioneer
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No doubt it is honda... They wanted to get computer readings but this has already taken almost two weeks to do... This thread has over 6000 views so hopefully honda knows they could be missing sales
If they want readings, then it probably does have something to do with the actuator. I didn't think twice about buying mine cause I knew Honda has decades of experience with dct's from their F1 program. But I gotta admit since reading this thread I've been on pins n needles with the clutch. I no longer ease away from a stop. Which sucks cause passengers get whiplash lol

mikegzales

mikegzales

Feb 8, 2016
louisiana
If they want readings, then it probably does have something to do with the actuator. I didn't think twice about buying mine cause I knew Honda has decades of experience with dct's from their F1 program. But I gotta admit since reading this thread I've been on pins n needles with the clutch. I no longer ease away from a stop. Which sucks cause passengers get whiplash lol
If yours starts to shutter bring it in next day... And plan on making that payment while your buddies are posting pics

Reactions: BULLDOG6
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If yours starts to shutter bring it in next day... And plan on making that payment while your buddies are posting pics
It does a tiny bit of shuddering if you take off easy but its done it since new. Only has 12hrs on it. There's no need for the shuddering. They could've used a centrifugal clutch like their atvs. My Foreman is smooth as silk taking off.

Reactions: Stauvo
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Just got back from my local honda dealer here in florida. They had 2 1000's in that the clutches went out. 1000-5 and a 1000-3. Both before even the first service had been done yet

As for mine. Like i said before from day one ive been hauling 5 people around on all day trips. Most of the time its on sand when loaded. And i dont really ever ease into it. My throttle is really touchy. It usually gives everyone whip lash anyways

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from my local honda dealer here in florida. They had 2 1000's in that the clutches went out. 1000-5 and a 1000-3. Both before even the first service had been done yet

As for mine. Like i said before from day one ive been hauling 5 people around on all day trips. Most of the time its on sand when loaded. And i dont really ever ease into it. My throttle is really touchy. It usually gives everyone whip lash anyways
Yes throttle is VERY touchy. Wife drove it for first time last week and nearly took my head off. She's little over 4' tall and her foot barely touched the throttle, so her heel wasn't supported on the floor. She was jerking us around like rag dolls lol.

Reactions: mikegzales
advertisement