Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I took a couple videos of the P1000 going up a 16° incline. I didn't have any extra weight in the vehicle. I hope this helps someone.

Here's the attempt in reverse

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
LOL, I can replace a belt for <$100 if I ever need to. But I have never had to in several rubberband vehicles in 20 years of riding them.

When you have to replace those clutches it ain't gonna be for $100 and your ain't gonna do it beside the trail.

Good luck with that.

Then you can probably rest assured that you won't ever have to replace the clutches on your Honda if you own one. Most (just cause I don't like absolutes) who haven't replaced a rubber band aren't pushing that rubber band hard enough....not to knock the guy with a bad clutch but I don't care what I am driving, a manufacture does not make a vehicle or sxs to back up under harsh circumstances. I would never back up a hill of any difficulty in anything that has reverse!! It does suck that it happened and lesson learned but this is not a good picture of the quality of this machine and its trans....and yes I have been "abusing" things from dirt bikes to 4-wheelers to street bikes to jeeps to trucks to sports cars my entire life and nothing is perfect but....this trans appears to be closer to perfect than anything else on the market!! Like @JACKAL said if a ton started coming in like this then there's problem. And if you are going forward and its doing it then, yes put it low and manual mode....sorry didn't mean to come off like a dick but like I said this not a good example. I hope you get it fixed from the dealer and who knows if this one machine was gonna have a problem with it anyway.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Then you can probably rest assured that you won't ever have to replace the clutches on your Honda if you own one. Most (just cause I don't like absolutes) who haven't replaced a rubber band aren't pushing that rubber band hard enough....not to knock the guy with a bad clutch but I don't care what I am driving, a manufacture does not make a vehicle or sxs to back up under harsh circumstances. I would never back up a hill of any difficulty in anything that has reverse!! It does suck that it happened and lesson learned but this is not a good picture of the quality of this machine and its trans....and yes I have been "abusing" things from dirt bikes to 4-wheelers to street bikes to jeeps to trucks to sports cars my entire life and nothing is perfect but....this trans appears to be closer to perfect than anything else on the market!! Like @JACKAL said if a ton started coming in like this then there's problem. And if you are going forward and its doing it then, yes put it low and manual mode....sorry didn't mean to come off like a dick but like I said this not a good example. I hope you get it fixed from the dealer and who knows if this one machine was gonna have a problem with it anyway.

I do push my rubberband, but I know how to drive it. Anything with a clutch, which I think includes all the sxs's except the torque converter in the 700 can't be slipped on takeoff like the TC or it will have problems. I think this burnt clutch in this P1000will emphasize that point. Drive it like you have to drive a cvt and it will last. Slip it and it won't. It is just a part of learning a new vehicle and its weak points. Everyone has to learn, better to learn from someone else that having to repeat the mistake on your own.
I also am careful about where I put myself as far as having to back up an incline or over an obstruction and I never pull a heavy load in reverse in any vehicle, even a truck. The back side of a ring gear isn't as strong as the front side.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's never a guarantee that the unit you bought is gonna last. I've seen a new Mercedes roast a rod bearing 2nd day on the road and I've seen cheap Chinese crap last for years. I bought a Chinese atv for my daughter when she was born (yeah I jumped the gun but she's my first n only child) and we have beat the crap outta that thing. It's now 6 yrs old without a single problem. Best you can do is buy the brand you trust and hope for the best. I'm as big a Honda fan as you'll find but don't think I didn't jump on that extended warranty. Peace of mind is priceless.

Reactions: PioneerPete
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do push my rubberband, but I know how to drive it. Anything with a clutch, which I think includes all the sxs's except the torque converter in the 700 can't be slipped on takeoff like the TC or it will have problems. I think this burnt clutch in this P1000will emphasize that point. Drive it like you have to drive a cvt and it will last. Slip it and it won't. It is just a part of learning a new vehicle and its weak points. Everyone has to learn, better to learn from someone else that having to repeat the mistake on your own.
I also am careful about where I put myself as far as having to back up an incline or over an obstruction and I never pull a heavy load in reverse in any vehicle, even a truck. The back side of a ring gear isn't as strong as the front side.
Excellent point. There's a difference between pushing something and abusing it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C'mon Sally, GAS IT!lol
That's what I did....and the rear end slid sideways and almost rolled it off large rock it was sitting on lol. I can see my wife's expression when I tell her I rolled it on 2nd time out lol

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I did....and the rear end slid sideways and almost rolled it off large rock it was sitting on lol. I can see my wife's expression when I tell her I rolled it on 2nd time out lol
haha... yeah, I'm struggling to find trails tame enough for my wife to enjoy too! Do you think it would look wrong if I ball-gagged her next time we ride???lol

Reactions: Kingmudd and Delton
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will probably get the extended warranty to give me some peace of mind.
That's the spirit Stauvo... If family members' Polaris haven't failed yet, then I'm sure the p1k will do just fine. I feel obligated to stress again that my p1k has been a great work horse and has climbed out of some places that I never would have been if it weren't for trying to help a stranded Polaris. And the reason he was stranded... was because he never should have been there either!

advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like some of you boys just need driving lessons! DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT RICKYBOBBY!:eek:
Driving lessons

Reactions: gatorguy
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
haha... yeah, I'm struggling to find trails tame enough for my wife to enjoy too! Do you think it would look wrong if I ball-gagged her next time we ride???lol
Depends. Do you enjoy being married? Lmao. I learned my lesson with that one. I got into a similar situation on a wet large rock but this time I used turf mode and no spinning sideways. That turf mode is a really good idea. Other makes need to pay attention

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Depends. Do you enjoy being married? Lmao. I learned my lesson with that one. I got into a similar situation on a wet large rock but this time I used turf mode and no spinning sideways. That turf mode is a really good idea. Other makes need to pay attention
I like the turf mode too, but would it work with a rubber band drive train???lol I think there's a reason why you've never seen a RZR go anywhere without the tires spinning...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the turf mode too, but would it work with a rubber band drive train???lol I think there's a reason why you've never seen a RZR go anywhere without the tires spinning...
TROLLLLL^^^
View attachment 9316
I like it most because it doesn't eat up my yard ( I have a mini pig that does a good job of that already). I spend most of my time in turf when I'm in mtns. It does surprisingly well in mud.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying you didn't know how to drive (I apologize) and I do agree this is the learning curve of this machine. It just started to feel like with this one instance that a bunch of people were thinking the "sky is falling" (chicken little)!lol. I don't think of myself as one that abuses the things that I own but I do push them hard which is usually to the point of breaking things! That's why I always say I'll usually be the one to break things which I'm fine with cause I'll just build it back better, stronger, faster!! This a great forum....ride on and rubber side down!!)

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TROLLLLL^^^
View attachment 9316
i had a 2014 polaris ranger xp900 with turf mode and it did what it was supose to. but had to have the honda p1k-5d

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i had a 2014 polaris ranger xp900 with turf mode and it did what it was supose to. but had to have the honda p1k-5d
Thanks for the perspective DTAGG. I was just trying to make a joke, that's why the "troll" got thrown in there. I think its in the forum rules somewhere that we have to bash Polaris every now and then, even if its undeserved!lol

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
have you gotten much seat time in the Honda yet? I'd be curious to hear a comparison/contrast by someone who's had both makes...

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the perspective DTAGG. I was just trying to make a joke, that's why the "troll" got thrown in there. I think its in the forum rules somewhere that we have to bash Polaris every now and then, even if its undeserved!lol
no problem here, notice i am honda red also. or was till i wrapped it. :p

advertisement