Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd be happy with a recall. Normally speaking Honda is very good fixing a problem but I think since a shifting transmission is the pinnacle of the vehicle and they are pushing it above belts bad publicity with clutches is a real touchy subject and hush hush is a main objective. "Fix it as quietly as possible"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We can do it quietly. Put a better clutch in it and I'll sign a gag order.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We can do it quietly. Put a better clutch in it and I'll sign a gag order.

Fix the problem so people aren't afraid to let their own family drive it without instructions like any other Honda and I'll sign anything necessary.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fix the problem so people aren't afraid to let their own family drive it without instructions like any other Honda and I'll sign anything necessary.

You and me both. I let foster kids drive it in pasture the other day. Took me 5 mins to explain how to take off. We were in soft dirt so I told them to just nail it. Pitiful.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That silly "class action" phrase just popped into my head again.
Could happen for transmission and heat issues, the heat issues are dangerous in the hot summer with a little water added ( steam burns are possible ). The trans will just leave you stranded.

Reactions: Delton
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good thing mine only gets babied at the golf course in turf mode

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
You use yours at the golf course to, where did you get your bag cradles ?

Reactions: Delton
advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could happen for transmission and heat issues, the heat issues are dangerous in the hot summer with a little water added ( steam burns are possible ). The trans will just leave you stranded.
You bet your rear it could happen. When enough people feel screwed and compare notes then decide to take a stand. We spent a small fortune on these things. One vehicle fails while the next one on assembly line puts thousands of trouble free miles on it?? Nah, I don't think so. Grow a pair and take care of the people taking care of you.

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just signed papers sat. and will not pick it up until this sat. starting to think of a way of backing out of this deal. all i read about this thing is clutch problems. not just here but all over the net. starting to scare the hell out of me. i cant afford to pay $20,000 for something that i will need to fix every time i look at it wrong. i could see having problems with big modifications. but it don't sound like that is the issue. I don't want to be like fred flintstone to get this thing moving to provent burning clutches.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
just signed papers sat. and will not pick it up until this sat. starting to think of a way of backing out of this deal. all i read about this thing is clutch problems. not just here but all over the net. starting to scare the hell out of me. i cant afford to pay $20,000 for something that i will need to fix every time i look at it wrong. i could see having problems with big modifications. but it don't sound like that is the issue. I don't want to be like fred flintstone to get this thing moving to provent burning clutches.
I can't say it's not going to happen to you but most are having pretty good luck and at this point Honda still seems to be taking care of most people

Last edited:
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK

Read through the posts and you'll see the vast majority have zero issues. I have about 800 problem free miles in all types of terrain and situations. Compared to other brand offerings I will take the slim chance of clutch failure over the other brand issues.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't see it's not going to happen to you but most are having pretty good luck and at this point Honda still seems to be taking care of most people
What he said. You're just hearing the horror stories and not from the happy owners. Over 1400 miles and clutch is still stout. Most of those are rough miles too. Some include slow moving rock climbing. As mentioned, can't promise you a trouble free machine. But vast majority are still happy with them.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I may be hard yes but the previous would shift hard and spin if you wanted to just like your saying. This one is no where near that way. Has never been. It's like there's just a small delay like you let the clutch out slowly. It felt like a soft clutch from day one. I eased it for the most part and will admit there were a couple times I was harder on it then normal but it was always soft. Since ive had problems I've even taken to paddle shifting most of the time (partially so it's not shifting so much) and even get out of throttle while I do then hard back on it. I know that's not how to drive but if you stand on it through the shift it just doesn't lock quick so I know it'll take it out sooner. I don't let new people drive it and my friends are scared.
I guess what really made me upset is looking at the pics of last Xmas in the red one we were beating the hell out of it though the snow up hill, go a few feet backup hit it again for hours and hours plowing several feet of snow you've seen the pics it was hell on a machine! And brand new to boot. We towed stuff pulled cars from ditches everything even the wheelies (which this one can't do at all and it made it 1500 miles after that solid as a rock. Even my wife realizes the difference between the two she's never liked the feel of this one.
People say, well my clutch feels great always has if I can do this in mine so can you it's not a problem well ya I get it I had one of those and use to say that. Others say, I simply backed up a hill and it went out, ya I have one and now say that. It's not the clutches! And it's not always the driver. Even if it was the driver with Honda it's not suppose to be a problem, never has been but now is you shouldn't have to give someone instructions on how to use the auto on a Honda!
We were planning on heading to our friends this Xmas but it's pretty heavy snow and 30 miles in well were not going because we can't trust it, it won't make it. I'd be doing a field swap. Our previous unit I'd do that all day long.
I'd just like to know how to fix it. I've got lots of time and money invested in mine much more then people realize, especially if you coinsider everything I lost in the other one.
Not even complaining here! Just stating absolute facts. And I'd love to know what's being done to fix this so I can.
question? if u learn one hard and one not as hard couldn't the transmission learn different and give u a different feel on one to the other. I ask this cause I have 2 duramax trucks that feel totally different when they shift and I know that 2 different drivers might learn the transmission different? who would have thought 30 years ago that transmissions would have memory and learning ability!!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think it is a problem with early 16 models, after getting mine back totally different shifting and noise. I doubt I will ever have any more issues. If yours clunks REALLY loud when it shifts I think you will have issues, mine now has a moderate click, you can still hear it, but it's not REAL loud, like it was. I love mine now.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I think it is a problem with early 16 models, after getting mine back totally different shifting and noise. I doubt I will ever have any more issues. If yours clunks REALLY loud when it shifts I think you will have issues, mine now has a moderate click, you can still hear it, but it's not REAL loud, like it was. I love mine now.
I don't think you want to freak people out the hard shifts during break-in - most if not all P1Ks do that. In fact, I might be nervous if I didn't get a solid clunk during the first 100 miles. After the first service the transmission settles down.

I work mine hard and have not had issues.
Ya just got to use common sense. If you get into a spot that feels wrong for the clutch - dont do it. Of the stories I've heard about clutches, I sometimes hear guys say "I kinda knew I should not have but....". Some others put 32 inch tires on and go looking for the thickest, deepest s$#t they can find and try to crawl thru it. But there are a few (a small minority of problems) that have trouble but do not seem to have a good explanation.

Before you consider something else, search for problem with the competition. Those threads go back for years.

Last edited:
advertisement