Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't think you want to freak people out the hard shifts during break-in - most if not all P1Ks do that. In fact, I might be nervous if I didn't get a solid clunk during the first 100 miles. After the first service the transmission settles down.

I work mine hard and have not had issues.
Ya just got to use common sense. If you get into a spot and feels wrong put force the clutch - dont do it. Of the stories I've heard about clutches, I sometimes hear guys say "I kinda knew I should have but....". Some others put 32 inch tires on and go looking for the thickest, deepest s$#t they can find and try to crawl thru it. But there are a few (a small minority of problems) that have trouble but do not seem to have a good explanation.

Before you consider something else, search for problem with the competition. Those threads go back for years.
Mine still had a VERY loud clunk after first service, not just a clunk and then the clutches went out, people in front and back of me could hear it. I'm saying A VERY LOUD CLUNK. I rode with some guys/gas with newer P1's this week end and there's shifted like mine does now. Honda figured something out between mine and there's

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just signed papers sat. and will not pick it up until this sat. starting to think of a way of backing out of this deal. all i read about this thing is clutch problems. not just here but all over the net. starting to scare the hell out of me. i cant afford to pay $20,000 for something that i will need to fix every time i look at it wrong. i could see having problems with big modifications. but it don't sound like that is the issue. I don't want to be like fred flintstone to get this thing moving to provent burning clutches.
~1300 trouble free miles... mine's seen some pretty extreme action and has done almost everything I've asked of it. I got into some super thick mud and it didn't want to spin the tires in reverse. reverse is a little high geared, and is typically where the clutches get smoked.
overall, very nice machine. there are tradeoffs to owning any of them.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
IMG 6355

This is where my first set failed!:(

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How many do you have now?
Just under the second service, I can't remember, went to look, 386 miles, lost six weeks riding, Christmas and the big crash. Got my trailer back Wed. Finally got back out last weekend with some members at Mulberry Mtn.

Reactions: Eltobgi
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Mine still had a VERY loud clunk after first service, not just a clunk and then the clutches went out, people in front and back of me could hear it. I'm saying A VERY LOUD CLUNK. I rode with some guys/gas with newer P1's this week end and there's shifted like mine does now. Honda figured something out between mine and there's
Oh gotcha - I didn't realize something changed with the newer ones.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh gotcha - I didn't realize something changed with the newer ones.
Same clutch assemblies, but chamfered the oil relief valve seats. Now it jumps during shifts.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Me either lol
Did you see my reply about service manuals? Wonder if there is a update on chamfering oil relief valves? My manual came with lose leaf up dates that you had to put in. I'll bet they have more, I'll check tomorrow.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you see my reply about service manuals? Wonder if there is a update on chamfering oil relief valves? My manual came with lose leaf up dates that you had to put in. I'll bet they have more, I'll check tomorrow.
So, you have updates to the manual that show the procedure for what they did to your machine?

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
also in Drag racing we use billet oil relief valves with heavier springs causing higher operating oil pressure as well as high pressure oil pump gears.

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
~1300 trouble free miles... mine's seen some pretty extreme action and has done almost everything I've asked of it. I got into some super thick mud and it didn't want to spin the tires in reverse. reverse is a little high geared, and is typically where the clutches get smoked.
overall, very nice machine. there are tradeoffs to owning any of them.
I understand about the other brands. I've been a Honda ride from the time I was 6 years old. Never Owned anything other then Honda until the first 660 raptor came out. Then I owned the first gen 660 side x side all along owning the best work horse there was the 2004 Rubicon. The last thing I had I traded for the pioneer 1k-5. It was an arctic cat 1000 atv. the fastest thing I've ever had between my legs. Well all most. Lol but I can not stand the rubberband set up. The noise is to mush for me. I Have always thought the other brands was always a little cheaper made. The cat was always having brake issues and had more noises then I could pin point. That's why I wanted to come back to Honda.

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just called the mechanic at the shop i'm dealing with. he said that there was so many calls to him from people concerned about the clutches that he called the honda tech. he told him out of 70,000 units sold about 20 had true clutch issues. he said that most of them are from people changing there own oil and filling them up and running them. he said that you need to idle it for 5 min. then check it. they will be a qt. low if you don't. he said he has done about 2 him self. one was from a farmer that pulled round bales all day and run it in high. he also said honda has been good at fixing them.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
just called the mechanic at the shop i'm dealing with. he said that there was so many calls to him from people concerned about the clutches that he called the honda tech. he told him out of 70,000 units sold about 20 had true clutch issues. he said that most of them are from people changing there own oil and filling them up and running them. he said that you need to idle it for 5 min. then check it. they will be a qt. low if you don't. he said he has done about 2 him self. one was from a farmer that pulled round bales all day and run it in high. he also said honda has been good at fixing them.

It's still a small number but probably not quite that small lol. If it was only 20 units Honda wouldn't be working so hard for a fix you can believe that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I completely agree about the oil, in both the engine and sub trans. After drain and filter I put in what was supposed to be the exact amount, only to find I was low in both.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
70,000 units sold? does that seem high to anyone else?
just thinking about that. There are a total of 3144 countys in the use. that would say on average there are ruffly 22 in every county. that not thinking about other countries.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement