P1000 burnt clutches up with less than 400 miles

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm going to be honest here I've tried holding this back however a couple know this but the other day I had another set go out on me. I was just backing out of the garage I built for it into the snow and felt the slip. It should have spun but didn't. Got a pretty good feel now for these and they have been soft for awhile. We're not going where we were planning because of 30miles of heavy snow. I love this rig and have been careful lately because we can't afford this all the time but I can't trust it now. It's not the clutches on mine. I'm very interested in a fix because I'm not one of the guys Honda will help and this is all out of pocket now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd set that is bad? Something is obviously wrong in there. Honda should want to get the machine back to figure out what is wrong with your machine to improve others.

Any way you could get the transmission out of your wrecked red one and replace it?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow! Apparently they can't read the service manual. It seems I made the right decision buying from my local dealer instead of Abernathy's. No point in calling them.

I left out the fact they wrote on the service ticked that they "lubed it". Which amounted to filling up the box with WD-40.... I literally had to sop it out with a paper towel.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I left out the fact they wrote on the service ticked that they "lubed it". Which amounted to filling up the box with WD-40.... I literally had to sop it out with a paper towel.
I had mine at the dealer for 3 weeks with them trying to figure out why the mode indicators weren't working properly and that the AT/MT indicators wouldn't change when I switched between the two. I took it home, did the adjustments and later reset the clutch. It all works fine now, no thanks to them. I will never take it in to the dealership I bought from again. I have another dealer in the area I will go to if I do need warranty work.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
3rd set that is bad? Something is obviously wrong in there. Honda should want to get the machine back to figure out what is wrong with your machine to improve others.

Any way you could get the transmission out of your wrecked red one and replace it?

If I could've I would have. It was auction off and I didn't catch the buyer. I'm sure it's a simple fix probably from manufacturing but they won't help me in any way. Won't even explain what I can do. I held my mouth for a long time and just dealt with it but now I literally try to carry spare set and oil with me. I'll say I can change these in the time of a belt and do not want to go back but it shouldn't be that way! I'm not being hard on this rig and they are still going out! I reached out to them once again and nothing. Look at my article deep in snow and see what the previous one could do. This one can not! That's part of what set me off is knowing two can be so different. It's not me and it's not clutches. I'll admit one time mine had a hard situation that I'm not blaming the rig on but I truly believe the red one would have been just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Smitty335,
Don't let these guys get to you. Some of them love to joke around. We all appreciate your input. The click click is the sound of a solid footed clutch. And that will solve the issue.

Anyways. Did you get a video recorded?
I'll send you a pm with directions on us getting your video.
Stand by.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree with the "mess" comment. Wish it had stayed just a technical thread with exchange of relevant info. I'm not surprised at all to hear your contradicting review of the dealership. This whole clutch issue has been nothing but contradictions. One guy has trouble, one doesn't. One gets answers from Honda, one guy gets nothing.
I'm trying to get the video to you guys, the proof is in the sound the transmission makes now.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
YouTube? that sounds nasty
I can hardly wait to get the video to you guys, if yours was clunking as loudly as mine you will hear a BIG difference in both acceleration and deceleration. Seems the more gas you give it the quieter it gets, think they need to replace oil relief valves totally

Reactions: Hondasxs
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not just a Honda thing with the secrets, that's Japanese manufactures in general, or at least that has been my experience over the years. I also can't imagining them just selecting one dealership and allowing them to do some Honda backed warrantee modification / solution and not the others - this would be opposite of the way they treat their dealer network in general.
Agreed. They treat all dealers equally. Just look at their pricing. The largest volume dealers pay exact same amount as the small town dealer for these machines. Honda is adimant about that. Like Stihl is.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Agreed. They treat all dealers equally. Just look at their pricing. The largest volume dealers pay exact same amount as the small town dealer for these machines. Honda is adimant about that. Like Stihl is.

Reactions: LandPioneer
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Couldn't figure out to get video from YouTube to this site, but go to you tube and enter quiet transmission side x side and you can listen. I was holding my phone below and in front of the front seat to keep the wind noise down. The rattling was a Yeti w/ a dead solider in it in the bed. HA

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couldn't figure out to get video from YouTube to this site, but go to you tube and enter quiet transmission side x side and you can listen. I was holding my phone below and in front of the front seat to keep the wind noise down. The rattling was a Yeti w/ a dead solider in it in the bed. HA

Copy the URL in the address bar and paste it into a post here. I'll go see is I can find it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Probably shouldn't have used the dead solider word, what would you suggest in its place?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

A quick search there and I couldn't find it. Did you mark it pubic?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes its got some kind of ID - trim 358826CD 0203

This is easy stuff. Go to your YouTube video. While it's playing or paused, copy the link in the address bar... you know... the YouTube... the whole thing. Then paste it into a post here.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's how mine sounds after breakin and doing the clutch reset.

advertisement