Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe this is honda doing a limited field test before making the "fix" universal.

@Smitty335 - Thanks for checking into this.
That just doesn't sound like Honda. They have always been a company of secrets. I doubt they'd risk letting a customer do a field test. Their way is to do company testing for 5 yrs, then release it lol.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
That just doesn't sound like Honda. They have always been a company of secrets. I doubt they'd risk letting a customer do a field test. Their way is to do company testing for 5 yrs, then release it lol.
I was thinking back to the seat heat fix where they released a rubber band-aid fix to a select group of customers. Of course, I'm hoping the clutch fix works out better than the sear heat fix.

Reactions: JTW and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They did with the seat heat problem.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They did with the seat heat problem.
Yeah you are both right bout the seat. That was a total stab in the dark. There must be some new blood in the higher ups at Honda. Cause 10 yrs ago that would never fly. Like everything else, they are slacking. Sad to see a company established on dependability and building stuff right start to slip. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah you are both right bout the seat. That was a total stab in the dark. There must be some new blood in the higher ups at Honda. Cause 10 yrs ago that would never fly. Like everything else, they are slacking. Sad to see a company established on dependability and building stuff right start to slip. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.
I was surprised about that, too.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was surprised about that, too.
I'm afraid the older guys at Honda are possibly retiring or being replaced. They cared about quality. We all know what the younger generation cares about....Numbers. Where I work is perfect example. Japanese owned btw. When production is down, their answer is to increase the production expectations. What?? How does that make sense? If you suddenly hear a rod knocking in your car going down the road, is the answer pressing down on the accelerator? For some I'm afraid it is

Reactions: Manwell and AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm going to be honest here I've tried holding this back however a couple know this but the other day I had another set go out on me. I was just backing out of the garage I built for it into the snow and felt the slip. It should have spun but didn't. Got a pretty good feel now for these and they have been soft for awhile. We're not going where we were planning because of 30miles of heavy snow. I love this rig and have been careful lately because we can't afford this all the time but I can't trust it now. It's not the clutches on mine. I'm very interested in a fix because I'm not one of the guys Honda will help and this is all out of pocket now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to be honest here I've tried holding this back however a couple know this but the other day I had another set go out on me. I was just backing out of the garage I built for it into the snow and felt the slip. It should have spun but didn't. Got a pretty good feel now for these and they have been soft for awhile. We're not going where we were planning because of 30miles of heavy snow. I love this rig and have been careful lately because we can't afford this all the time but I can't trust it now. It's not the clutches on mine. I'm very interested in a fix because I'm not one of the guys Honda will help and this is all out of pocket now.

Dealership won't fix under warranty?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If not, can you say "class action"? Seriously. Is that what it's gonna take? They have 2 of the biggest "Go big Red" guys on the planet doubting them? I'm thinking the snowball just got dropped over the edge of the hill.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not just a Honda thing with the secrets, that's Japanese manufactures in general, or at least that has been my experience over the years. I also can't imagining them just selecting one dealership and allowing them to do some Honda backed warrantee modification / solution and not the others - this would be opposite of the way they treat their dealer network in general.

Reactions: Delton
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Nope. That's why we've always had to do everything ourselves. They won't do anything for us because "we're too hard on it."Straight from their mouths. The "7" seat was the kicker. It puts undue stress on the rig. The extended warranty was garbage.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope. That's why we've always had to do everything ourselves. They won't do anything for us because "we're too hard on it."Straight from their mouths. The "7" seat was the kicker. It puts undue stress on the rig. The extended warranty was garbage.

That's total BS! I don't care if you are hard on stuff...theres obviously a problem with your machine and they should stand behind it.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would love to know how big the clutch problem really is... How many 100's of thousands of clutches has Honda manufactured with success?? It would be awesome to see this from "30,000 feet" and know what they know as the manufacturer. Having worked for some good size equipment manufactures in the past, I know how close to the vest warrantee stuff is held - when it gets out the competitors jump all over it. As @Delton was alluding and it is sadly a fact, the bottomline has taken precedence over high quality - I deal with this phenomenon every day in my job.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's total BS! I don't care if you are hard on stuff...theres obviously a problem with your machine and they should stand behind it.

I'm not trying to b**** I'm just stating the facts and hope someone comes out with a fix so I can go back to having a Honda I trust. It's not the clutches! My red one was solid! This is garbage in comparison. As soon as there's something I'm bringing it to my buddies Yamaha dealer to have it fixed

Reactions: GlockMeister
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would love to know how big the clutch problem really is... How many 100's of thousands of clutches has Honda manufactured with success?? It would be awesome to see this from "30,000 feet" and know what they know as the manufacturer. Having worked for some good size equipment manufactures in the past, I know how close to the vest warrantee stuff is held - when it gets out the competitors jump all over it. As @Delton was alluding and it is sadly a fact, the bottomline has taken precedence over high quality - I deal with this phenomenon every day in my job.
I don't really deal with it at work, but I physically see it every day I'm there.

Reactions: Manwell
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't really deal with it at work, but I physically see it every day I'm there.
For me "at work" is not the company I am employed by, but some of the products we represent and I repair a lot of stuff we don't represent. My company is the best customer service company I've ever worked for, from the President on down it's customer service first and foremost. While many of our competitors and principals are shrinking, we are growing and it is because we take care of the customer - they keep coming back over and over...

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No, not a large dealer so that may be the difference. I may call Abernathy's tomorrow and see if they know anything, they sell tons of them.

I wouldn't bother. When I took mine in for first service I asked about the shuddering. The service manager took mine over to the new I69 bypass being built, took it up the hill and pronounced it "normal" and said that it was the "Duramatic torque convertor"....

They also kept my machine overnight because they couldn't get the mode select to work properly and called me the next day to come and pick it up after they "fixed it" and I got this:

Upload 2016 12 21 12 26 50

Minus the socket, that is mine where I was trying to figure out how the heck I was going to get it loosened up.

They may know about Polaris machines (since I am sure they have to fix a lot of them) but they don't have a clue about Honda.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Doesn't matter to me how many they get right. It matters that any aren't. That's polaris Philosophy that "well we did these over here right " no! Any Honda with a problem with this low of mileage is a problem! The 1000 is the only one I can recall that way. You hopped in a Honda and just went. I don't give a crap about numbers! Most here won't allow people to ride their or at least without instructions! I mean really? Just because some aren't having problems it's ok? No because those without problems are scared to let anyone else use it, that's not Honda tradition.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wouldn't bother. When I took mine in for first service I asked about the shuddering. The service manager took mine over to the new I69 bypass being built, took it up the hill and pronounced it "normal" and said that it was the "Duramatic torque convertor"....

They also kept my machine overnight because they couldn't get the mode select to work properly and called me the next day to come and pick it up after they "fixed it" and I got this:

Minus the socket, that is mine where I was trying to figure out how the heck I was going to get it loosened up.

They may know about Polaris machines (since I am sure they have to fix a lot of them) but they don't have a clue about Honda.

Wow! Apparently they can't read the service manual. It seems I made the right decision buying from my local dealer instead of Abernathy's. No point in calling them.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 29065

Holy crap that's bad.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
advertisement