AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@taylorman are you using some type of PDM, like the Cooper Bussmann?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
I haven't got one yet but I will be getting the cooper bussman. I just got my pioneer last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That does help, I think. I have the switch with 5 spades, and nothing connected to 6 and 7. So all I need to do is connect 6 to the brown wire and jump 7 from 8 for the ground in order to have the backlight on even when the switch is off? What about jumping additional switches from this one? I just get everything hooked up right on the first switch and jump each spade to the corresponding spade on the next switch (8 to 8, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc)?

That is exactly what I did. I jumpered all of my grounds and routed them back to a grounding bar that I mounted under the hood. I tapped the brown headlight wire and ran that to my switch panel. Then I jumpered all of the led backlights off of that. That way my switches are backlit when I have the headlights on even if the switch is off. I am a novice at best when it comes to wiring so you may get some better feedback from the other guys on the right way to do it.

IMG 2945

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That does help, I think. I have the switch with 5 spades, and nothing connected to 6 and 7. So all I need to do is connect 6 to the brown wire and jump 7 from 8 for the ground in order to have the backlight on even when the switch is off? What about jumping additional switches from this one? I just get everything hooked up right on the first switch and jump each spade to the corresponding spade on the next switch (8 to 8, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc)?

Exactly what @jasontjames said. You don't want to jumper the number 3 pins. Pin 3 is the output power to the accessory you are switching. Here is a diagram of the Cooper Bussmann that someone posted a while back. I'm not sure who, but I thank them. You can click to enlarge it. NOTE: The wire colors on the one you receive might not be exactly the same as this, but it's pretty easy to figure out what is what.

Cooper Bussman

Use the relay outputs to control accessories that have a high amperage, i.e. lightbars, sound systems, etc. The 5 fused lines can be used for things like rock lights, dome lights, USB accessory plugs... low amperage stuff.

If you notice on this diagram, the person that drew it used the 1st fused output with a 2A fuse to provide input power to the switches that are using relays. That goes to pin 2. You can jumper all of them. I'd probably use a 5A fuse, though. The switches are rated for 20A.

When using just the fused outputs, connect them to pin 2, then connect pin 3 directly to your accessory. When using the relay outputs, connect the 16ga wire (pin 85 on the relay in the diagram) to pin 3, and connect the 12ga wire on the PDM to your accessory. When you turn the switch on the voltage coming in on pin 2 will be switched to pin 3, turning on the relay, which supplies the accessory with power.

I also used a separate relay to ensure that nothing controlled by the PDM is powered on unless the key is on. I wired it like this.

2nd Battery for Pioneer

Disregard the second paragraph in the above image. I didn't do that.

Last edited:
J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you tap into the accessory wire or headlight wire, wouldnt you be using the primary battery for power?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm using the primary battery to turn on a relay that provides power to the PDM from the second battery. The relay draws very little power. This ensur ed s that when I turn the machine off no accessory remains on. You can turn the key to accessory power and have everything run without having the machine on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Samiam1286

Samiam1286

Jul 24, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have a part number for the cooper bussman PDM, and where did you purchase? I looked on Amazon but couldn't find anything like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is this the factory front bumper? I would like to add shackles but my front bumper doesn't seem strong enough.

I replied to your other thread. Let me know if you didn't see it.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can you share with me which brackets and lights you bought?

Sure thing friend.....

7cd73a6d5b531af8e6efc381db982a62

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you share with me which brackets and lights you bought?

Did you have to cut slits in your rear panel to mount your light like that?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Did you have to cut slits in your rear panel to mount your light like that?

Nope. It stretches under the mount.

SIGNATURE:

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope. It stretches under the mount.

SIGNATURE:
Thanks for the info. If I can't get my reverse lights crammed into the spot I think I can I'll go this route.

M

Mattyb39

Aug 12, 2016
Cranberry Township, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10b5d5e5fbdf9a877c14337570d77d94

I'm looking for a good alternative to the whole vent lines issue without using bellows. Think this may work?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 21355

I'm looking for a good alternative to the whole vent lines issue without using bellows. Think this may work?

It looks like a fancy expensive filter to me. The instructions say to mount high enough to be out of the water.

I would recommend extending the tubing and putting a chainsaw or line trimmer fuel filter on the end of the line. That's what I did and got rid of my bellows after they failed.

7b5d29cfa013959f4eed2157bdee5be6

SIGNATURE:

M

Mattyb39

Aug 12, 2016
Cranberry Township, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks like a fancy expensive filter to me. The instructions say to mount high enough to be out of the water.

I would recommend extending the tubing and putting a chainsaw or line trimmer fuel filter on the end of the line. That's what I did and got rid of my bellows after they failed.

View attachment 21357

SIGNATURE:

I do agree it seemed rather pricey for a vent filter but I couldn't think of another plan. The fuel filters at the end would be significantly cheaper and still breathe freely. Thanks for the image! Any recommendations on your front snorkel design? Like would you change anything to that design or is it working well for you? I really like that look and I'm sure is sounds pretty cool too so I'd like to do something similar.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I do agree it seemed rather pricey for a vent filter but I couldn't think of another plan. The fuel filters at the end would be significantly cheaper and still breathe freely. Thanks for the image! Any recommendations on your front snorkel design? Like would you change anything to that design or is it working well for you? I really like that look and I'm sure is sounds pretty cool too so I'd like to do something similar.

I like the snorkel. It was cheap, install in minutes and can be reverted back to stock with just a hood purchase. You can purchase the parts needed for my design and a spare hood and come out less than a preassembled kit.

Things to consider, it may not be for everyone. Some people don't want the sound in their face. Some people don't want the intake blocking their view. If those things aren't a problem, go for it.

You can barely hear it when the scoop is facing forward or the windshield is on. It also acts as a ram air.(which as far as I can tell, makes no difference in power). It can quickly be turned around before jumping into the river.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

SIGNATURE:

Last edited:
advertisement