P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 2022 model is going to sound different even more so than the 2021 and older.

Honda removed the "sprung" drive gear for the clutch and used the solid one out of the Talon. If you lay under the 2022 Pioneer while it's running you'll almost swear it's rod knock.
That's interesting. I have heard that the 22s were quieter and smoother-shifting... (?)

H

HondaTech

Wow, that is crazy. i wonder what the logic is behind that move?

My guess is they realized it wasn't needed after the Talon engine was produced. It also eases clutch replacement, since the entire rear of the engine doesn't need to be removed now to replaced the clutch pack. I still recommend it though especially if the clutch has been destroyed.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My guess is they realized it wasn't needed after the Talon engine was produced. It also eases clutch replacement, since the entire rear of the engine doesn't need to be removed now to replaced the clutch pack. I still recommend it though especially if the clutch has been destroyed.
Thanks buddy, if I ever have a serious issue, I'll wait for your answer.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a whole 'nother bag of questions for me. I didn't know the motors and clutch setup were all that different. I figured they were both adaptations of the Africa Twin with different intake, tuning, etc.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spring loaded primary gears are used in many HONDA engines. It is a fairly typical feature that HONDA employs to remove backlash from the primary in a variety of engine configurations. Just looking at the parts diagrams, the older Africa Twins use that split spring loaded primary and the 2020 and up models use that solid gear. So i suppose they felt that any theoretical advantage was outweighed by the cost savings and easier repairs?

Reactions: Lady01
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3

Are the Talon and Pioneer gears interchangeable? I really would like a higher 6th gear.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are the Talon and Pioneer gears interchangeable? I really would like a higher 6th gear.
The higher 6th gear is a result of a change in the 6th gear in the main transmission. The Primary gear ratio on both the TALON and PIONEER are the same @ 1.884 to 1. Both use an 81 tooth Primary Driven gear and a 43 tooth Primary Drive gear. The spring loaded split gear was not used on the TALON.

B

Blackedout12v

Sep 26, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine will go away when above 3k rpm. It also does it worse after everything heats up and I'm riding for a while

Mine will go away when above 3k rpm. It also does it worse after everything heats up and I'm riding for a while.
Louder rattle after warm, and when lugging low rpms. Mine was the sub trans. Thicker oil in sub trans helped a lot.

Reactions: ODAMO
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thicker oil in sub trans helped a lot.
How much thicker did you go? We've had guys on here try going to gear oil, and it's too heavy. It'll cause difficulty engaging a gear, especially when its cold out.

Most report good results using an engine oil with moly additives.

(Note for new owners: moly should NEVER be run in your motor/DCT because of your wet clutches.)

B

Blackedout12v

Sep 26, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How much thicker did you go? We've had guys on here try going to gear oil, and it's too heavy. It'll cause difficulty engaging a gear, especially when its cold out.

Most report good results using an engine oil with moly additives.

(Note for new owners: moly should NEVER be run in your motor/DCT because of your wet clutches.)
Valvoline vr1 20w-50 high zinc with Schaeffer's moly additive. no real cold weather issues, Ohio weather, I've always had some intermittent issues with going into low. Clutch relearn was the biggest improvement shifting into low. Next sub oil change I will put Schaeffer's 5w-50 with some E.P moly additive. I have a hard time believing the same oil for the engine provides the optimal protection for what amounts to a gear on gear transfer case (sub trans).

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 2022 model is going to sound different even more so than the 2021 and older.

Honda removed the "sprung" drive gear for the clutch and used the solid one out of the Talon. If you lay under the 2022 Pioneer while it's running you'll almost swear it's rod knock.
I see that both the high and low driven gears in the sub are "sprung. Is this in place of the sprung trans gear or have they always been there? Also is the presence of the springs the reason for people using thicker oil to try and dampen them a bit.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Going to start the clutch replacement job this week. What's the deal with "priming" or whatever you call the sprung gear?

H

HondaTech

Going to start the clutch replacement job this week. What's the deal with "priming" or whatever you call the sprung gear?

The drive gear for the clutch is dampened by 3 springs. It's a thinner gear on top of a thicker gear that must have spring tension on them when lined up. I'm not sure why seeing as how the Talon and 2022 P1K have a solid gear instead.

When the clutch assembly is pulled out, the two gears spring away from each other and must be lined back up and tensioned against one another while pushing the clutch assembly back into place.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Are you referring to the primary driven gear between the clutch packs? What is other gear called? Is that what the 6mm bolt is used for? I'm not a dumbass, (usually 🤣), but I'm a bit confused.

Clutch Assembly

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The drive gear for the clutch is dampened by 3 springs. It's a thinner gear on top of a thicker gear that must have spring tension on them when lined up. I'm not sure why seeing as how the Talon and 2022 P1K have a solid gear instead.

When the clutch assembly is pulled out, the two gears spring away from each other and must be lined back up and tensioned against one another while pushing the clutch assembly back into place.
A gear setup like this is usually considered an anti backlash gear. I wonder if Honda thought it would quiet the 270* crank caused gear rattle. And then just switched to a stronger and less complicated setup.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does it quiet down the sub trans? Assuming yours makes noise like mine when lugging in low rpm
I use 30% Lucas in mine and it’s quiet compared to just 10w30 Honda oil.

Last edited:
J

jzimbo12

Aug 15, 2022
New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same issue. 2022 1000-5. Sounds like marbles in a tin can when accelerating or under load. Dealer said it is normal, but like Russ989 said, I got a tip to put 4oz of Lucas oil in the sub trans and it seems to have helped a lot. I'm in Northern NY and hope it doesn't affect sub zero degree operation in January.

advertisement