P1000 Transmission Rattle

wojtalon

wojtalon

Jul 30, 2020
Golden, Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon R
still trying to figure it out. I had my suspension tuned and it's still a rattle bucket. I'm down to thinking it's the dual rate plastic spring sleeves that are rattling/making that noise on the small chop. I'm thinking of running a test by taking the top spring and sleeve completely off and run only the lower larger spring just to see if that rattle bucket noise goes away. I recently learned that shock therapy sells replacement sleeves that are thicker. The tolerance would be less between the shock and the sleeve, thus not able to move side to side as much and possibly reduce that noise. I chalk it up to just loud suspension from all the moving parts. every time I drive it, I can't believe how noisy it is. I'll continue testing to find out what is truly causing the rattle bucket noise.

Reactions: Lady01
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
It's not ignition related. I suspect it is the cam chain tensioner, but I haven't had the energy or desire to tear it down to see.

Reactions: Lady01 and DG Rider
W

wm4u

Mar 16, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not ignition related. I suspect it is the cam chain tensioner, but I haven't had the energy or desire to tear it down to see.
Mine will go away when above 3k rpm. It also does it worse after everything heats up and I'm riding for a while.

L

LeslieFarmer

Feb 5, 2021
Princeton
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a 2021 with 6600 miles and mine stared make noise a 400 miles so I started using 100 percent gas and all noise went away

Scotw

Scotw

Jun 8, 2021
Dandridge, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 just started doing it with 600 miles on it. After it's warm it is way more noticeable. So while driving down my street I put it in Neutral and everything went away. My noise is Drivetrain/transmission noise for sure under "load" and it has the ball bearing rattle too...

I sure wish someone would figure this out cause this is pretty obnoxious.... If this is normal I will probably get rid of it because it sounds like the running gears of hell between the high pitch "Whine" from the trans and this dam rattle....

Last edited:
B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So mine started doing this at 200 miles. It also had a whine but that went away after the 600 mile service.

I asked during that 600 service what it could be and they said it was not something they could replicate and not to worry. Since then, I could only get it to occur in certain conditions. So I figured it was just me being picky. Then one day when I was running for animal feed, I noticed that when I sustain between 28-33 mph I get that rattle, like something is knocking around in a tin can kind of thing. As soon as I get up above 35 or below 28 its totally gone. This is on a paved, flat, non bumpy road. When I originally told the dealer about it, I could not get the noise to happen consistently. And I was unsure of the location it could be from. Now I can get it to happen 100 out of 100 and with the cab on, you can only hear it loudly when you're sitting in the back or the back window is open.

Luckily this is only two pages long, so when I go see the dealer, I can read off the ideas in this thread as if I know what is what lol. I hope to have an answer on this. I wasn't to worried because I have the warranty and hunting season is almost over. So if my rig is going to be down for a while at least I won't miss it to much : )

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
A

aspire

Sep 14, 2020
ottawa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ves that are thicker. The tolerance would b
So mine started doing this at 200 miles. It also had a whine but that went away after the 600 mile service.

I asked during that 600 service what it could be and they said it was not something they could replicate and not to worry. Since then, I could only get it to occur in certain conditions. So I figured it was just me being picky. Then one day when I was running for animal feed, I noticed that when I sustain between 28-33 mph I get that rattle, like something is knocking around in a tin can kind of thing. As soon as I get up above 35 or below 28 its totally gone. This is on a paved, flat, non bumpy road. When I originally told the dealer about it, I could not get the noise to happen consistently. And I was unsure of the location it could be from. Now I can get it to happen 100 out of 100 and with the cab on, you can only hear it loudly when you're sitting in the back or the back window is open.

Luckily this is only two pages long, so when I go see the dealer, I can read off the ideas in this thread as if I know what is what lol. I hope to have an answer on this. I wasn't to worried because I have the warranty and hunting season is almost over. So if my rig is going to be down for a while at least I won't miss it to much : )

Any progress figuring this out? I have a 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000-3 with this exact issue. Flat pavement, accelerating between 28 and 33 the rattle noise and then disappears as the RPMs increase. Sounds terrible while in the cab and is eroding my enjoyment of the machine. I am going to tear into it one weekend soon to see if it is related to a loose heat shield.

W

wm4u

Mar 16, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any progress figuring this out? I have a 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000-3 with this exact issue. Flat pavement, accelerating between 28 and 33 the rattle noise and then disappears as the RPMs increase. Sounds terrible while in the cab and is eroding my enjoyment of the machine. I am going to tear into it one weekend soon to see if it is related to a loose heat shield.
I have since put on hundreds of more miles on mine. Mine still does it with zero issues. I have been told its normal but it definitely sounds like a heat shield. Mine also does it on start up.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneer 1000 has what used to be considered an "odd" firing arrangement. In parallel twins today, this firing arrangement has become the norm. The power pulses are delivered to the primary gears in an uneven fashion. The engine is a parallel twin with a 90 degree crank throw separation. The "270 degree crank" has advantages, but also suffers from very irregular power pulses at low RPM. Irregular power pulses, high loads and low RPM cause the gears to load and unload, inducing a "rattle" from the primary and transmission gears as they go through the load/unload cycle.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Pioneer 1000 has what used to be considered an "odd" firing arrangement. In parallel twins today, this firing arrangement has become the norm. The power pulses are delivered to the primary gears in an uneven fashion. The engine is a parallel twin with a 90 degree crank throw separation. The "270 degree crank" has advantages, but also suffers from very irregular power pulses at low RPM. Irregular power pulses, high loads and low RPM cause the gears to load and unload, inducing a "rattle" from the primary and transmission gears as they go through the load/unload cycle.

So, it's an inherit vehicle characteristic.

Reactions: mlynch001
J

jzimbo12

Aug 15, 2022
New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does it sound a little like marbles rattling around the heat shields? Cause I've noticed something similar too
Did you ever discover the issue to this? I have a 2022 1000-5 Forest and have the same sound (coins in a tin can). I took it to the dealer and they say it's normal, but it sure doesn't seem normal to me and doesn't do it all the time.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Did you ever discover the issue to this? I have a 2022 1000-5 Forest and have the same sound (coins in a tin can). I took it to the dealer and they say it's normal, but it sure doesn't seem normal to me and doesn't do it all the time.
Everything I read and everyone I spoke with said same thing...."normal"....

I did notice it would do it more when it should've been in a lower gear kinda like it was running too low rpms. I've also "learned" to drive the machine better and "it" has learned my driving style 😂 the DCT supposed to learn "your" driving habits........that or I just got used to hearing the damn thing 🤷‍♂️

BTW....welcome from south Florida ✌

Start up an intro thread and post some pics of your ride 👍

H

HondaTech

The 2022 model is going to sound different even more so than the 2021 and older.

Honda removed the "sprung" drive gear for the clutch and used the solid one out of the Talon. If you lay under the 2022 Pioneer while it's running you'll almost swear it's rod knock.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 2022 model is going to sound different even more so than the 2021 and older.

Honda removed the "sprung" drive gear for the clutch and used the solid one out of the Talon. If you lay under the 2022 Pioneer while it's running you'll almost swear it's rod knock.
Wow, that is crazy. i wonder what the logic is behind that move?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've bookmarked this bit of tech to post on future questions - thank you @mlynch001 (anyone doubting his bona fides should read his build thread...)

My reply has always been that this is normal and the solution is to hit that left paddle, drop a gear and bring your R's up...or if it's a long moderate grade, hit Sport Mode.

This machine just wants to upshift all the time.

Reactions: WagginTail
advertisement