Pioneer Ride Of The Century Discussion Thread!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They can. Amber is not a restricted color
Sure, we have them for front directionals and running/marker lights, but he was suggesting a rescue/emergency vehicle light instead of the DOT required SMVE.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly right. 5 SXS's decked out as we'll be is going to be an oddity for certain. A bored cop in a small rural town in western Wyoming may pull the lot over out of curiosity, not necessarily any biggy, until he doesn't like something he sees, maybe, probably not, but having any equipment and accessories that spell safety to ourselves and other motorists is what a good LEO is looking for. My aim is to meet that, but for all the talk on here, it's not tested until we're rolling down those roads. As to a strobe, IMO, it depends on what DOT says. I'll see what I can find. I do know that not all SMVE's are the same, DOT requires the super reflective for 500' visibility at night. I'm not getting the peel and stick, but the one mounted on a bracket (which I will modify) so that I can slide it on only if I encounter a situation where I can't maintain a minimum speed, or frankly, if I'm driving thru the mountains and every car that approaches from behind is having to pass and or I'm holding up cars looking for a suitable pull over, I'm sliding my SMVE on.

Also in alot of places having a smv sign when it's NOT required or needed is a violation in itself. Removable is good, just don't use it " just because"

Reactions: Montecresto
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sure, we have them for front directionals and running/marker lights, but he was suggesting a rescue/emergency vehicle light instead of the DOT required SMVE.
I know what he meant, and that's what I was speaking to. There is no restriction on amber lighting in any capacity.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Also in alot of places having a smv sign when it's NOT required or needed is a violation in itself. Removable is good, just don't use it " just because"
Exactly, thus the removable. I wouldn't want to be doing 55 in a 55 for example with a SMVE on the back. I have a sticker (peel and stick permanent) on my tractor because it's always going to be moving under 25 mph down the road.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In addi

I n addition to, not instead of.
To quote him verbatim, he said he'd much rather have LED's than a SMV sign. That's pretty much instead of. :D:D But I would also point out that he subsequently agreed that he wants to be DOT compliant. Again, I have no interest in defending the DOT, or county and state law requirements, nor arguing about them, I'm simply posting what I'm finding and what I'll be doing as preparations for this trip. Each participant is on their own and responsible for themselves.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Posted as informational only!

Can Civilians use Emergency Lights in Private Vehicles

Anyone Can Buy an Emergency Light – But Not Everyone Can Use It

As emergency vehicle light retailers, we are often pummeled with questions about the legality of our sales. Customers ask whether the lights and sirens we advertise are allowed to be used in personal vehicles, and this is where emergency vehicle light sales get complicated. Our products are available to the general public. However, not everyone can operate an emergency light in their car on public roads. What this means is you can purchase a light from us in any color, but whether or not you can use it on public roads in the United States is dictated by state statutes. Every state in the United States has written policies about who can and cannot use emergency vehicle lights. Some of the laws are laxer than others, but some even have restrictions on where lights can be mounted on a vehicle. Since state statutes vary widely from state to state, we cannot tell a customer whether gear they are considering buying can be used on the roads in their area. Instead, it is the responsibility of the purchaser, driver, and installer to make sure the lights they want to buy for their vehicle are legally allowed for use in the state they plan to operate it. To make sure customers understand emergency vehicle light state statutes, we recommend anyone who is considering purchasing lights from our online store make themselves familiar with their state’s laws before buying.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This ride will certainly draw some attention. The last thing we want is to be held up by some Jerk officer because of a technicality. I think i'd like some type of strobe light along with an SMV sign. We don't want to get rear ended by some guy doing 90 on a backroad. I've been a firefighter and its amazing that when doing 60 in a giant red truck with all lights and sirens running some jack wagon will still pull out like they never saw you coming, or fail to get out of your way. There's a lot of idiots out there.
From the Wisconsin State Legislature, this is as close as I could find to a strobe/flashing, rear facing light. It's permitted, but not required, and the light has color restrictions. Basically you could hit your hazards switch and be in compliance with this.

(11) Flashing warning lamps.
(a) Any vehicle may be equipped with lamps which may be used for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing, and when so equipped may display such warning in addition to any other warning signals required by this section. The lamps used to display such warning to the front shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and shall display simultaneously flashing white or amber lights, or any shade of color between white and amber. The lamps used to display such warning to the rear shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and shall show simultaneously flashing amber or red lights, or any shade of color between amber and red. These warning lights shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet under normal atmospheric conditions at night. Directional signals meeting the requirements of this chapter shall be used or lamps meeting these requirements, mounted so as to comply with turn signal installation.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good news, I've heard back from Yellowstone National Park already!

This is the email I received from YELL Visitor Center @ gps.gov along with the PDF below.

Hello John,

UTVs/MPVs are available for use on our paved park roads if they are street legal. It sounds like yours are.
I've attached a copy of our informational rack cards for you to double-check with, just in case.

Justin Jones

Multipurpose Vehicle Info (MPV) Is your off-road vehicle an MPV?

• Licensed for highway use according to Wyoming Department of Transportation standards.

• Designed to travel on at least 4 wheels in contact with the ground.

• Weighs more than 300 lbs. and less than 3,000 lbs.

• Has an upright seat or saddle for the driver which is mounted at least 24 in. from the ground.

What You Need:

 Valid Registration

 Operator's License

 Proof of Insurance

 MPV meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Prohibited:
  • MPV travel is not allowed on unpaved roads and the park portions of US High- way 191.

• Tires marked “Not For Highway Use” are not allowed.

Last edited:
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yellowstone National Park does not offer off road permits, we must stay on the paved roads. The prohibition to MPV's (multi use vehicles) to highway 191 is irrelevant to us as we'll be entering the park via highway 14 from Cody and turning right on Grand Loop Road at Yellowstone Lake, staying on that road on around to the north gate where we'll exit into Montana.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Buffalo Bill's Cody is the Eastern Gateway of Yellowstone Country
The region adjacent to Yellowstone’s East Entrance including the town of Cody, is all about Buffalo Bill Cody and the Old West. Read our list of the top 9 things to do.

IMG 0952

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If we are in town on the right day that would be awesome!
For sure, don't know what the chances of that are, but if we're staying the night in Cody, I'm in the Irma for sure!

Reactions: moparornocar
oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is very good to hear about Yellow Stone. If you all still want me to I will start working on a route from the north gate on to your destination. I am fairly familiar with the area. How much off highway are you willing to go on? Here is a rough verbal sketch of a possible route from the north gate to Saint Marie's.
From the north gate into Darby My then up to Lolo Mt then up to the LOLO Pass summit. From there to Avery Idaho is all unpaved mountain roads then down the Saint Joe river to Saint Marie's and on to Christmas Hills, which is pavement and down hill. If this route is acceptable to all I'll begin to get all the maps necessary and mark them for you. This is also the part of the route I would want to ride out and guide you all in.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is very good to hear about Yellow Stone. If you all still want me to I will start working on a route from the north gate on to your destination. I am fairly familiar with the area. How much off highway are you willing to go on? Here is a rough verbal sketch of a possible route from the north gate to Saint Marie's.
From the north gate into Darby My then up to Lolo Mt then up to the LOLO Pass summit. From there to Avery Idaho is all unpaved mountain roads then down the Saint Joe river to Saint Marie's and on to Christmas Hills, which is pavement and down hill. If this route is acceptable to all I'll begin to get all the maps necessary and mark them for you. This is also the part of the route I would want to ride out and guide you all in.
That would be outstanding! More dirt the better! We will have our plenty fill of blacktop by the time we get that far. Can't wait to see you on the trail @oldtrucks !!

advertisement