Pioneer Ride Of The Century Discussion Thread!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Nothing at all with being prepared. I'm glad you're doing some of this homework. Takes a little of the stress off of me. I appreciate it!
I just can't do the rogue thing. I'll get much more enjoyment out of this expedition knowing that I've done due diligence. :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Many two lane highways in South Dakota have speed limits of 65 and 70 and vehicles that aren't capable of keeping the minimums are required to display SMV emblems.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I thought anyone could have an amber led? We have them on our semi and on the work truck....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd much rather have LED's than an smv sign

Reactions: moparornocar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'd much rather have LED's than an smv sign

I think that you should do whatever you want that makes you comfortable. DOT requires an SMV and LE will expect it generally, this is why I'm researching this stuff. I am going to make every attempt to satisfy all requirements I find. I'm posting my findings, but it's up to each individual to take care of their own, as mopar posted on the first page of this thread.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I appreciate you doing all that monte please don't take it as me be resistant. I want to satisfy the law as well

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I appreciate you doing all that monte please don't take it as me be resistant. I want to satisfy the law as well

Haha, oh I'm not man, I'm going to continue to research and post my findings as a very helpful service to the rest of you guys, but you all need to do what suits yourselves. Obviously I'm an err on the side of caution guy and I think we may have a couple fly by the seat of their pants kind of guys. As long as everybody is making educated choices is a good start.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many two lane highways in South Dakota have speed limits of 65 and 70 and vehicles that aren't capable of keeping the minimums are required to display SMV emblems.

The speed limits are the maximum. I would check the minimum speed limit. That is generally what kicks in the requirement for a slow moving vehicle sign. Most states its 35 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The speed limits are the maximum. I would check the minimum speed limit. That is generally what kicks in the requirement for a slow moving vehicle sign. Most states its 35 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I said minimum in the post you quoted. The minimums vary, and I can't find them posted anywhere. Therefore the prudence of having a $10.00 SMV emblem in the box. ;) Even if I find I never need to take it out and slide it onto the rear bracket, I'm buying cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep, I said minimum in the post you quoted. The minimums vary, and I can't find them posted anywhere. Therefore the prudence of having a $10.00 SMV emblem in the box. ;) Even if I find I never need to take it out and slide it onto the rear bracket, I'm buying cheap insurance and peace of mind.

This ride will certainly draw some attention. The last thing we want is to be held up by some Jerk officer because of a technicality. I think i'd like some type of strobe light along with an SMV sign. We don't want to get rear ended by some guy doing 90 on a backroad. I've been a firefighter and its amazing that when doing 60 in a giant red truck with all lights and sirens running some jack wagon will still pull out like they never saw you coming, or fail to get out of your way. There's a lot of idiots out there.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This ride will certainly draw some attention. The last thing we want is to be held up by some Jerk officer because of a technicality. I think i'd like some type of strobe light along with an SMV sign. We don't want to get rear ended by some guy doing 90 on a backroad. I've been a firefighter and its amazing that when doing 60 in a giant red truck with all lights and sirens running some jack wagon will still pull out like they never saw you coming, or fail to get out of your way. There's a lot of idiots out there.
Exactly right. 5 SXS's decked out as we'll be is going to be an oddity for certain. A bored cop in a small rural town in western Wyoming may pull the lot over out of curiosity, not necessarily any biggy, until he doesn't like something he sees, maybe, probably not, but having any equipment and accessories that spell safety to ourselves and other motorists is what a good LEO is looking for. My aim is to meet that, but for all the talk on here, it's not tested until we're rolling down those roads. As to a strobe, IMO, it depends on what DOT says. I'll see what I can find. I do know that not all SMVE's are the same, DOT requires the super reflective for 500' visibility at night. I'm not getting the peel and stick, but the one mounted on a bracket (which I will modify) so that I can slide it on only if I encounter a situation where I can't maintain a minimum speed, or frankly, if I'm driving thru the mountains and every car that approaches from behind is having to pass and or I'm holding up cars looking for a suitable pull over, I'm sliding my SMVE on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do know that not all SMVE's are the same, DOT requires the super reflective for 500' visibility at night. I'm not getting the peel and stick, but the one mounted on a bracket (which I will modify) so that I can slide it on only if I encounter a situation where I can't maintain a minimum speed, or frankly, if I'm driving thru the mountains and every car that approaches from behind is having to pass and or I'm holding up cars looking for a suitable pull over, I'm sliding my SMVE on.

ahh good point. having a reflective one will be important. I could add some reflective tape but the DOT is even picky about how and where that is put on.

advertisement