P500 p5 suspension

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
That could be a problem, I do get sideways on hills a lot, very rough terrain too. This is why I was thinking more articulation would keep both wheels better planted, but maybe not.
Keep in mind, the shocks, even when isolated, still allow the suspension to articulate way, way, way, better than the stockers. Having full articulation climbing over the really rough stuff is going to make an amazing difference.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is one reason why I would restrict how fast the air is transfered from one side to the other (as I mentioned above). It would help in these situations.
So you mean to say that with the valve one could close one side or the other when getting sideways on a hill or getting the frame in a twisted motion??? I wonder how many times I'd put it on its side learning to quickly open or close a valve to the wrong side lol.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Keep in mind, the shocks, even when isolated, still allow the suspension to articulate way, way, way, better than the stockers. Having full articulation climbing over the really rough stuff is going to make an amazing difference.
Gotcha. Well I've got the shocks in hand so I'm going to install them, oh yeah, I'm doing singles to start, I may order another set to do doubles after I see how these go. Trying to decide if I should buy Chooglin's Shrader valve???

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Gotcha. Well I've got the shocks in hand so I'm going to install them, oh yeah, I'm doing singles to start, I may order another set to do doubles after I see how these go. Trying to decide if I should buy Chooglin's Shrader valve???
Try them with the hoke valve first- you already have it- and see what you think. Easy to go back to stock. I think you're gonna be amazed at the difference. I never ran my single set up 'isolated' and I purposely did stuff like 'donuts' ,hand brake slides, and driving on the sides of steep ditches to test difference in, well, 'scariness' I guess. The body did lean more, but nothing that made me think I screwed up, and, that's with my sway bar removed. Now with the doubles- I've only run these isolated- I've done the same things. The body rolls less, the ride is firmer, but not harsh, or sharp like the stockers were, and just feels more 'controlled' in general, allows me to run about 1/2 the air pressure that the singles needed, and has much better resistance to bottoming when driving like a maniac, and doesn't throw me up against the seat-belt at all, vs. the stockers trying to kill me in the same situation. In fact, I did some test rides and forgot to even put the seat belt on, and didn't get lifted off the seat at all. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

J

JamieH

Nov 23, 2016
North carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone that did the Progressive 429's
i switched my back springs out to the same rate as the front, AWESOME.
I had my shockm mounts made to mount on the outside of the Frame on the rears and using the stock A-arm location. Loving it so far. This weekend will be the test WV bound

IMG 3434

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I had my shockm mounts made to mount on the outside of the Frame on the rears and using the stock A-arm location. Loving it so far. This weekend will be the test WV bound

View attachment 31280
Hatfield/McCoy?! Looking forward to your opinion after the ride. Welcome to the forum!

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have these on order. I will let you know if they hold up. (EDIT) THESE ARE NOT VERY GOOD< I CANNOT RECOMMEND THEM!
x 2 NEW 1/8 in TEE Fittings Push On Air Ride tank bags horn bagged push connect | eBay

I will try the set up without a valve, but if I need a valve I am thinking of getting an air valve and just reducing it down to hold a 1/8" push connection at each end and then drilling and tapping in a schrader in it somewhere. Or, just going with a flow control so I can have more adjustment than a binary off/on situation. I just don't know if I hit a bump will I exceed the rated 150psi max that this uses?

1pc Air Flow Speed Control Valve Tube OD 1/8" Inch Pneumatic Push In Fitting | eBay

However, this unit is cheap and can also go from flow control to completely off if I recall, and it handles up to 300PSI.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...51509673-c-12917.htm?tid=-1324884760473994917

Last edited:
Reactions: Chooglin
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 31280

I did on the rear, using ChrisC mount. He made super duty mount and very precise so I just had to ask my friend to weld it. Pics should be in this thread.

I will put a small install manual soon. I would strongly suggest to contact ChrisC to fabricate the mount if you want to upgrade your rear shocks, he supplies with spacers to use whiel welding and online customer support :) , now I can help anyone too ! :)

Plus your rear suspension travel goes up to 12" now with this shock position. I love it !

098be11a5201bf52405c60809aead2067629163637598832cd7669bc6e5735c6

Last edited:
advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, the travel has increased, from 9 to 12, I was able to lift the tire from the ground higher, since shock angle is less now it can travel.more and less effort to compress 429 spring

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ask ChrisC he can explain more technically.

C

Chooglin

Yes, the travel has increased, from 9 to 12, I was able to lift the tire from the ground higher, since shock angle is less now it can travel.more and less effort to compress 429 spring

I hope you never hit the full 12" of travel , because if you do , your frame rail is going to be dragging on the ground !

Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope you never hit the full 12" of travel , because if you do , your frame rail is going to be dragging on the ground !
I think I misinformed not travel to 12 ", but I can lift my tire higher with the rest 3 touching ground, but the arm travel might play role in it

C

Chooglin

So that's how you came up with your 12" of travel..........ummmmm ok !

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So that's how you came up with your 12" of travel..........ummmmm ok !

Not travel :), I just used not the right term :), sorry

What I meant articulation (thank you ChrisC) ,

As per guess, with this 45% shock angle we have around 8" rear travel

Stock is 5.9"

Once free, I will pull all info and calculations and put it on the paper.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I have these on order. I will let you know if they hold up.
x 2 NEW 1/8 in TEE Fittings Push On Air Ride tank bags horn bagged push connect | eBay

I will try the set up without a valve, but if I need a valve I am thinking of getting an air valve and just reducing it down to hold a 1/8" push connection at each end and then drilling and tapping in a schrader in it somewhere. Or, just going with a flow control so I can have more adjustment than a binary off/on situation. I just don't know if I hit a bump will I exceed the rated 150psi max that this uses?

1pc Air Flow Speed Control Valve Tube OD 1/8" Inch Pneumatic Push In Fitting | eBay

However, this unit is cheap and can also go from flow control to completely off if I recall, and it handles up to 300PSI.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...51509673-c-12917.htm?tid=-1324884760473994917
I know the pressure will exceed 200psi as the shocks compress, but only for less than a second at a time for the most part. The fittings I'm using, I think are rated for 200psi continuous. Trying to understand the ratings for air fittings can make you crazy, as each field seems to have different standards to come up with a rating. The fittings that I'm using are D.O.T. rated air brake parts, so I figured they would take a hell of a beating before failing. Look at the cheesy fittings the air shocks come with! They can potentially live for years under a truck, so I'm not too worried about the fittings, as long as they're rated for your expected continuous pressure.

C

Chooglin

Made up a small video of the rear suspension at work. nothing special , just figured I would post it !

sorry for the sideways view , new camera and learning how to use it.

Ignore the goofball at the end , he doesn't know what he is doing......lol

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Don't know if it's on my end or yours but the video is not working.

advertisement