P500 p5 suspension

C

Chooglin

Well yes, but a few variations on the options make for some head scratching on which route to use.
I think it really depends on the type of riding you do.

If you are a very aggressive rider and like to go fast across rough terrain, then I would go with the Progressive or Walker evens shocks front and back. IMO , @chrisC , @jak9922 , @solrus type setup.

If you are a rock crawler @JWB has the setup, this could also be an all around good setup , because you could adjust it.

My setup is mainly for an old man , who doesn't like a rough ride but yet can run at higher speeds without having the abuse the stock setup gives you. If you think about it , all I have done with my setup, is add more shock compression and rebound !

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Common Choo :), u are not so old , I saw you on FB :)). It matters if u feel old.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Common Choo :), u are not so old , I saw you on FB :)). It matters if u feel old.

Lol.........some days I feel old and other days I feel like teenager. I want to be in my 20's again :)

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me too, and have my job as of now. :))). I could not believe that at 22 I finished university and could work professionally buy it took me another 10 years to move to USA and get through schools all over again and some schools not related to my profession. 15 years in post grad academia makes me feel old too.

Reactions: Chooglin
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And now I feel how fast time flies. Really appreciate every hour I spent on doing something useful. And now I can not sleep daily just 6 hours to not feel restored, I still do it but don't think it will last long. Time takes over me slowly.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
And now I feel how fast time flies. Really appreciate every hour I spent on doing something useful. And now I can not sleep daily just 6 hours to not feel restored, I still do it but don't think it will last long. Time takes over me slowly.

I hate the thoughts of aging too. But it's better than the alternative!! I'm closing in on 60 and have no desire to retire or slow down.I think when you start telling yourself your to old to do something that's when you will be old!! Come to think of it I've got kids older than most you guys .

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I hate the thoughts of aging too. But it's better than the alternative!! I'm closing in on 60 and have no desire to retire or slow down.I think when you start telling yourself your to old to do something that's when you will be old!! Come to think of it I've got kids older than most you guys .
I will be 70 this year and people always say to me "Aren't you a little old to be doing that?" I did grow up one time but didn't like it very much. I retired several years ago and did not slow down but sped up and have to get up a 4am everyday just to get everything done I want to do.

Reactions: solrus and iowaguy
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for sharing. I will need to start on the front end soon.
Cant wait for more pics and vids!
I might actually get this completed if I could just stop re-inventing the system every time I start to assemble it.. With all my theory's about system volume, I've decided to use the 1/8" tubing supplied with the shock kits, all the way from the shocks to the supply manifold, instead of the 1/4" tubing I had planned- and bought fittings for. So now I'm waiting for fittings again. I've also made a couple changes to simplify the system a bit. On a brighter note, I now have a functional winch, and a nice terminal block for future power needs.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I might actually get this completed if I could just stop re-inventing the system every time I start to assemble it.. With all my theory's about system volume, I've decided to use the 1/8" tubing supplied with the shock kits, all the way from the shocks to the supply manifold, instead of the 1/4" tubing I had planned- and bought fittings for. So now I'm waiting for fittings again. I've also made a couple changes to simplify the system a bit. On a brighter note, I now have a functional winch, and a nice terminal block for future power needs.

I mounted a pair on the right side last night. I had to make the spacers and grind the clearance for the top bolt and drill out that top mount hole for a 7/16..that kinda sucked. I need to order T fittings for the stock style lines so I can only have one fill valve on the dash and two T's to connect the pairs together. I am going to use the stock lines that are readily available at the auto parts stores in the event I need one in a panic.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I mounted a pair on the right side last night. I had to make the spacers and grind the clearance for the top bolt and drill out that top mount hole for a 7/16..that kinda sucked. I need to order T fittings for the stock style lines so I can only have one fill valve on the dash and two T's to connect the pairs together. I am going to use the stock lines that are readily available at the auto parts stores in the event I need one in a panic.

Very cool! Ya, there are some clearance issues on the front- but nothing horrible. I didn't drill the top mount, just got a longer 10mm bolt. The difference in fit is minimal so I pre-loaded the shocks before I tightened the bolts. It must have been a b**ch drilling that.

Last edited:
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Very cool! Ya, there are some clearance issues on the front- but nothing horrible. I didn't drill the top mount, just got a longer 10mm bolt. The difference in fit is minimal so I pre-loaded the shocks before I tightened the bolts. It must have been a b**ch drilling that.
Preloaded the shocks??

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Preloaded the shocks??
Yup. I left all the fasteners slightly loose, and then pressurized the shocks to lift the machine to it's normal ride height, so all the bushings would be 'pre-loaded' evenly in their normal position, and then tightened all the fasteners.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yup. I left all the fasteners slightly loose, and then pressurized the shocks to lift the machine to it's normal ride height, so all the bushings would be 'pre-loaded' evenly in their normal position, and then tightened all the fasteners.
Gotcha! I'm taking mine into my buddies shop on Wednesday to install new skids, front brakes, front air shocks and a host of other lessor things and will likely have a couple more questions for you on the shocks.

Reactions: solrus
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Gotcha! I'm taking mine into my buddies shop on Wednesday to install new skids, front brakes, front air shocks and a host of other lessor things and will likely have a couple more questions for you on the shocks.
Bring it! How many miles on the brake pads?

C

Chooglin

You guys that are going with the air shock setup , I have a valve and fittings for sale.

This will allow you to isolate each side from one another or allow them to see each other. It also allows you to fill the shocks from the valve.

$55 + shipping
20170116 175615 20170116 175557

Reactions: JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I used a Step/Uni bit with a small ratchet. I was surprised how well it worked.
What PSI did you decide on for the front 4?
About 70psi should be a good starting point. BUT- that's with no load on the machine and the shocks fully extended. Here's what I mean- I have four fill valves- one for each corner- so I can't be sitting in the machine when I adjust pressure. So I put 70psi in the fronts, and then lift it by the front bumper a little by hand, and tweak it back to 70psi. I did the same on the rears but I put them up to 90psi. This past week, I did a couple of hard stops from about 35 mph, and noticed that the front end was 'dipping' to the drivers side, and causing the rear to slide out a bit- this was on a sandy road. so I bumped up the pressure to 75psi in the front drivers side shocks and repeated the test- it absolutely eliminated any 'squirelyness' in near lock-up braking, and the machine stayed absolutely straight. Something else I should mention- I had my Dad sit in the machine- he's about 230lbs- and I re-checked the pressure- 118psi. So my point is this, the pressure rises rapidly as the shock compresses, and, conversely, drops rapidly as the shock extends, so if you were to load the machine (shocks partially compressed), and put 70psi in the system, it would read way below 70psi when the load was removed, and would probably ride like a spongy mess. So, every time I've made a pressure adjustment, I always try to get the shocks fully extended. Once I get the compressor and the rest of the system installed, I'll simply adjust the system for good ride and control, not by reading a pressure gauge, because the pressure fluctuates too much with even small movements of the suspension or a change in load. I really like Chooglin's valve set-up for the non-compressor set-ups. With that style of valve, you could even use a bicycle pump to pressurize the system, close the valve, and not loose any air when removing the fill chuck.

advertisement