P500 p5 suspension

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Ya, they need to 'see' each other to do that, so the single fill point system that comes with the shocks would be the simplest install. Keep in mind that you may need to run in excess of 140psi to carry any load more than two 200lb riders. As you could see in the pictures, the articulation is amazing, and so is the improvement in ride. It also made a big difference in keeping the rear wheels on the ground too. Something new I've discovered, is that it's really difficult to get the shocks equally pressurized when using a single fill point for individual shocks using the air hose. The air volume of the shock is so small that just 'bumping' the trigger on my fill/pressure tool will make a 10-12psi change instantly, and just lifting the chuck off the fill valve can change pressure 2-5psi, and that's on mine with double shocks on each corner. I think- even if doing singles, you should add a pressure gauge into the system so you can over pressurize, and then 'tweak' it down to the desired pressure with the fill valve while watching the system gauge. Don't let me scare you off, this all sounds difficult but it really isn't. I'm just trying to share as much as I can as I gain insight and experience with this mod. When I finally get the whole system completed, and head out on the first real hard-core run (like the H.M. trails) I'm going to take all four of the stock shocks with me. So far, this suspension mod has attained, or exceeded, every goal I had in mind when I started. It is just soooo cool to drive over obstacles now and have all four wheels firmly planted on the ground!

I guess I should elaborate, I plan on a pair on each corner up front. So,my air volume will be more than a single shock on each corner up front, do you think the pairs would contain enough volume to allow articulation without going across the buggy and allowing the left and right "Pairs" see each other. Not a huge deal, I am just wanting to eliminate as many points of failure as possible. If I need to connect left and right sides together, I am wondering if a small bladder or air tank would increase volume and fit under the hood. Not my desire, but if I have to connect in the center anyways...

Amazon.com: Viair 91005 0.5 Gallon Tank: Automotive

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
See page 27. In this particular case suspension travel is increased by at least 3"- I thought I had measured more,(front) but have not confirmed again, but it is definitely over 3" additional. Equal ground pressure can't be accomplished with springs, and in the case of the P500, with no front locker, keeping the front wheels in contact with the ground, and having the same down force on each tire is as good as can be done (at this point) with our s**tty open differential. Load adjustment, ride quality, ability to lean into a hill, push a particular wheel down, or lift one wheel off the ground without a jack, all just icing on the cake. My initial goal was to get the independant suspension to actually work (keep tires on the ground) and soften the ride a bit. The machine can be driven with all air released from system, but it only has about 4" of ground clearance- click on the pic.View attachment 30822

Alright, I'm getting it now. That pic of the front end is bad ass. Has that kind of articulation been achieved on the rear yet?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Alright, I'm getting it now. That pic of the front end is bad ass. Has that kind of articulation been achieved on the rear yet?
Yup. Does the same on rear- with the ASB removed. I'm going to finish the system, ride for awhile, and then put the ASB back in just to see how much it restricts articulation.

Reactions: trigger
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I guess I should elaborate, I plan on a pair on each corner up front. So,my air volume will be more than a single shock on each corner up front, do you think the pairs would contain enough volume to allow articulation without going across the buggy and allowing the left and right "Pairs" see each other. Not a huge deal, I am just wanting to eliminate as many points of failure as possible. If I need to connect left and right sides together, I am wondering if a small bladder or air tank would increase volume and fit under the hood. Not my desire, but if I have to connect in the center anyways...

Amazon.com: Viair 91005 0.5 Gallon Tank: Automotive
They do pretty good when isolated- way better than the stockers, and about the same as a well calibrated coil over shock, but, to have the full travel of the suspension, and equal tire loading, they have to be able to transfer pressure from one side to the other. Adding volume to the system will reduce, or 'dampen' the transfer of energy from one shock to the other, so keeping the volume of the system as small as possible during operation is important.

C

Chooglin

My Gabriel 43173 shocks came today and I installed them tonight. I went for a short ride and I am completely satisfied with this setup.

The Gabriels have very little resistance to them , but it is enough to give the ride I was looking for.

I have the stock shocks setup with no preload (soft as they will go) so the ride at slow speeds is very smooth. After picking up speed and hitting the rougher terrain, is when the Gabriels start to assist in handling rougher terrain and higher speeds. I also think that not only the springs are helping , but the shocks themselves are improving this setup.

Again , I only took a short ride and it was extremely muddy and slippery , but I was really pleased with this setup. As I ride more , I can give you guys more thoughts on this setup.

I am seriously considering running this same setup on the front now !!!!............it feels that good !!!
20170112 164745 20170112 164723 20170112 164700

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
My Gabriel 43173 shocks came today and I installed them tonight. I went for a short ride and I am completely satisfied with this setup.

The Gabriels have very little resistance to them , but it is enough to give the ride I was looking for.

I have the stock shocks setup with no preload (soft as they will go) so the ride at slow speeds is very smooth. After picking up speed and hitting the rougher terrain, is when the Gabriels start to assist in handling rougher terrain and higher speeds. I also think that not only the springs are helping , but the shocks themselves are improving this setup.

Again , I only took a short ride and it was extremely muddy and slippery , but I was really pleased with this setup. As I ride more , I can give you guys more thoughts on this setup.

I am seriously considering running this same setup on the front now !!!!............it feels that good !!!
View attachment 30891 View attachment 30892 View attachment 30893
That looks very cool. Do you have your normal load on it now? I would expect that damping is improved alot- I definitely noticed that when I doubled mine. Is the sway bar still connected? I can't see it in the pics.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

That looks very cool. Do you have your normal load on it now? I would expect that damping is improved alot- I definitely noticed that when I doubled mine. Is the sway bar still connected? I can't see it in the pics.
Yes on the load and I removed the sway bar long ago.

I really thinks it's more the shock not the spring so much , that has improved the ride. The spring will definitely help keep it from bottoming out though.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Yes on the load and I removed the sway bar long ago.

I really thinks it's more the shock not the spring so much , that has improved the ride. The spring will definitely help keep it from bottoming out though.
The ride height looks close or the same as stock- did it change much? If you do the fronts as well, will you use the same mount angles you have on the rear?

C

Chooglin

The ride height looks close or the same as stock- did it change much? If you do the fronts as well, will you use the same mount angles you have on the rear?
Ride height stayed the same , rear is setting at 10 3/4" to the bottom of the frame rail.

Not sure what angle it will be. I already have the bottom mount in front , I just need to come up with a second mount for the top.

I need to see if there is enough room to fit both shocks up front !..........I will do that this weekend.

Reactions: JCart and trigger
advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 30891 View attachment 30892 View attachment 30893
Just a thought, don't u think u will limit travel by adding those new shocks in the position u have and also still have oem stiff shocks that would downgrade your ride?

I used to ride on lower settings with OEM shock but they were still stiff. Now I gained 3" travel and softer ride.

I would probably install air front shocks and progressive rear the way I did. Would gain better articulation in the front and simplify shock install on the rear by using spring shocks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

C

Chooglin

IMO , the stock shocks are to soft , this is nice at lower speeds but not so good at high speed/rough terrain , that is the reason for adding the Gabriels.

If you put preload on the stock shocks , they become to stiff at "LOW SPEEDS".

The Gabriels have 5.1" of stroke , this should no way limit the travel!

Of all of the setups I have tried so far , this one is by far the best "FOR ME" !

The whole purpose of doing this mod (for me) , was to get a better ride from the suspension. I am not looking for more travel or articulation, just a better ride.

Reactions: JWB and iowaguy
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see. At least now we have few directions each p500 owner can choose.

Reactions: chrisC and Chooglin
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone know or recall if the rear factory shocks were interchangeable to the front to allow for adjustable fronts? I thought i recall it being mentioned early in this thread, just dont have the patience to go through all the pages again. And if they were did anyone try it with good results? Or were the 17 shocks an improvement worth just swapping for without spending or modding too much?

Reactions: Arizona
C

Chooglin

Does anyone know or recall if the rear factory shocks were interchangeable to the front to allow for adjustable fronts? I thought i recall it being mentioned early in this thread, just dont have the patience to go through all the pages again. And if they were did anyone try it with good results? Or were the 17 shocks an improvement worth just swapping for without spending or modding too much?
I can answer the 1st part of your post

The stock rear shocks are shorter than the fronts and they also have a larger mounting bolt.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You can buy recall shocks all 4 for around 200$

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the intel gents. I haven't decided a route yet, but not sure how much I want to spend on it either. So many options from this thread it's hard to keep track

Reactions: Chooglin
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just three options aftermarket and one recall option

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Just three options aftermarket and one recall option

Well yes, but a few variations on the options make for some head scratching on which route to use.

advertisement