P500 p5 suspension

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Here's what I've accomplished today. I'm also doing my winch install, so I was out gathering parts for that as well.
DSCN1077
DSCN1078
DSCN1079
DSCN1080
DSCN0008
DSCN0009
DSCN0010
DSCN0014

DSCN0008 DSCN0009 DSCN0010 DSCN0014 DSCN1077 DSCN1078 DSCN1079 DSCN1080 DSCN0008 DSCN0009 DSCN0010 DSCN0014 DSCN1077 DSCN1078 DSCN1079 DSCN1080

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@JWB Is that UHMW that you used to make a panel for your switches out of? And what on gods green earth are you going to do about your beer holder now? That's not typically what a guys willing to sacrifice for really any mod???

Reactions: doolin64
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone wants to use ARB on board compressors with small 1 gallon tank may be? I have it on my 4runner and it works great

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I'm seriously considering a very small air tank- 1/2 gal. max. and pressure switch.
@JWB Is that UHMW that you used to make a panel for your switches out of? And what on gods green earth are you going to do about your beer holder now? That's not typically what a guys willing to sacrifice for really any mod???
It was a piece of left-over dash panel for a boat we were working on- I'll find out what it is and post it later. Yes, sacrificing the beer holder was traumatic, and may have involved a little weeping- you know, where the tears just kinda run down your cheeks,:( but nobody notices, but I'm over it now, and I think there's enough room on the floor for one of those little 12v coolers...:D

Reactions: Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm seriously considering a very small air tank- 1/2 gal. max. and pressure switch.

It was a piece of left-over dash panel for a boat we were working on- I'll find out what it is and post it later. Yes, sacrificing the beer holder was traumatic, and may have involved a little weeping- you know, where the tears just kinda run down your cheeks,:( but nobody notices, but I'm over it now, and I think there's enough room on the floor for one of those little 12v coolers...:D
Haha that's funny. I hear there's therapy for this type of loss.

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I have a tank setup on one of my powerstroke trucks for ARB front diff locker, rear air bags, airing tires, running small air tools and of course wicked loud air horns. Pressure switch kicks in at 20 and off at 120 psi, with manual override (just in case switch fails). A good sized tank will fit under the driver's seat. So this tank would you be using as an active reservoir, meaning all shocks are actively open to it with one air pressure for all corners, or used as an air supply to set individual corner pressure?

Interesting to note you mentioned when shocks are tied together (side to side?) the ride is improved compared to individual corners? If this is the case would auxilliary tank(s) provide smoother shock travel, by creating larger air mass to compress?

j

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
It's 1/4" ABS panel

Reactions: Montecresto
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I have a tank setup on one of my powerstroke trucks for ARB front diff locker, rear air bags, airing tires, running small air tools and of course wicked loud air horns. Pressure switch kicks in at 20 and off at 120 psi, with manual override (just in case switch fails). A good sized tank will fit under the driver's seat. So this tank would you be using as an active reservoir, meaning all shocks are actively open to it with one air pressure for all corners, or used as an air supply to set individual corner pressure?

Interesting to note you mentioned when shocks are tied together (side to side?) the ride is improved compared to individual corners? If this is the case would auxilliary tank(s) provide smoother shock travel, by creating larger air mass to compress?

j

Yes it does soften the ride, but you can't leave all the shocks 'seeing' each other. Only one pair- side to side- at a time, and it greatly reduces body roll resistance. If all joined, the machine will have no body roll resistance other than the sway bar, (mine is removed) and it also increases the volume of each shock and lowers it's compression resistance, and the bigger the volume, like putting an air tank in the system, the lower the compression resistance. The machine would virtually just 'flop' side to side or front to back, and stay there. Unfortunately for us, the gabriels have a very small air chamber, so small changes in volume make a big difference.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe I am not tracking here, but I still don't understand the valves? Are they just to remove air pressure from the drivers position? Or do they connect the left and right pairs? When would you use the valves if they are to tie left and right together?

In one post you mention they should see each other side to side, but I thought in other posts they stand alone? I guess that's some of my confusion?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Four of the valves are for pressurizing, depressurizing, individually, or all four shocks at once. Important to understand that I consider the doubled shocks on each corner as One Shock. One valve will control an external air line and be an exhaust valve when depressurizing the system. The last valve is for isolating the compressor and air tank from the distribution manifold so that shocks can be paired or 'see' each other without affecting the pre-set pressure between the two shocks. For better cornering and suspension control and resistance to bottoming (smallest compression volume) for fast running, each corner should stand alone- all four control valves closed. If going slow, or traversing obstacles or very rough conditions, for best articulation, one pair- side to side, can be allowed to be connected, or 'see' each other- two valves open, either front or rear. When I get the whole thing finished, I'll draw it out and post it, along with pictures of the completed install. I've gone a little over budget, but I've changed my mind several times along the way and keep changing, er, uh, improving as I go. When get this all done, maybe I'll kit this thing up...

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Four of the valves are for pressurizing, depressurizing, individually, or all four shocks at once. Important to understand that I consider the doubled shocks on each corner as One Shock. One valve will control an external air line and be an exhaust valve when depressurizing the system. The last valve is for isolating the compressor and air tank from the distribution manifold so that shocks can be paired or 'see' each other without affecting the pre-set pressure between the two shocks. For better cornering and suspension control and resistance to bottoming (smallest compression volume) for fast running, each corner should stand alone- all four control valves closed. If going slow, or traversing obstacles or very rough conditions, for best articulation, one pair- side to side, can be allowed to be connected, or 'see' each other- two valves open, either front or rear. When I get the whole thing finished, I'll draw it out and post it, along with pictures of the completed install. I've gone a little over budget, but I've changed my mind several times along the way and keep changing, er, uh, improving as I go. When get this all done, maybe I'll kit this thing up...

b****en! I love where you're headed with this setup it could be very cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I already support the notion of kitting this thing up, including a valve body panel. Although I believe it will have to be designed to go elsewhere on the P5 then a mans beer holder. ;)

Reactions: ghost
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the support boys! I'm havin a good time doing this mod. There's one issue that I could use some input on: The way the air line(s) connect to the shocks is in a fairly vulnerable location, and they could get yanked out by brush, sticks, etc.. Some way of shielding this area, or a way to deflect stuff away from the lines would be a big help. My favorite type of riding is busting through the brush making new trails and just picking our way through the woods exploring. I've already tore one of my cv boots (made shields) got stabbed in the a** (made full aluminum skid plates) and beat up by branches (made full lexan enclosure) so I just KNOW I'm gonna tear these air lines off at some point:) Fortunately, with the on-board compressor, getting rolling again wouldn't be a day wrecker for me, but would really suck with out the compressor. So if any of you make something, or draw something up, I'd love to see it.

Reactions: Montecresto
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Yes it does soften the ride, but you can't leave all the shocks 'seeing' each other. Only one pair- side to side- at a time, and it greatly reduces body roll resistance. If all joined, the machine will have no body roll resistance other than the sway bar, (mine is removed) and it also increases the volume of each shock and lowers it's compression resistance, and the bigger the volume, like putting an air tank in the system, the lower the compression resistance. The machine would virtually just 'flop' side to side or front to back, and stay there. Unfortunately for us, the gabriels have a very small air chamber, so small changes in volume make a big difference.

Looking forward to your install and ride reports. Nice that you are building flexibility into your system in that you can control air flow.

j

advertisement