Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered my air shocks
Gabriel HiJackers Air Shocks 49233

Also ordered the valve , push connector's and schrader valve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0089VJRP6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483053689&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1/4"+npt+3+way+t+port+ball+valve&dpPl=1&dpID=41bfDcBFfIL&ref=plSrch

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007FCLPPA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483054236&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1%2F8"+push+connect&dpPl=1&dpID=41iVuevbP6L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002V4Q4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483054370&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX198_SY286_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1/4"+npt+schrader+valve&dpPl=1&dpID=21NwiSn6RjL&ref=plSrch

Thanks for the idea @JWB

Something I wanted to point out though.
I wanted to be able to fill the shocks thru the valve and also separate the two shocks from each other or allow them to work together (see each other )

So when looking for a valve I had to make sure it was a 3 way "type T port" valve. This will allow me to do all of the above , with just 1 valve

View attachment 29894
A "type L" will not allow flow in 3 direction all at once !

I will be putting the schrader valve in 1 port and the push connector's in the two remaining ports !
I totally mis-read this. So please disregard previous dumb**s reply This is a good idea, and will definitely clean up the install, if you can still access the fill valve with the air hose. You could install one of those tire valve extenders and remotely mount it, but I guess that would kinda defeat the purpose, other than giving a much stouter fill valve than the cheesy one supplied with the shocks.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

I plan on mounting mine just above the seat back where I can reach it from the drivers seat !!!!

C

Chooglin

Are you gonna mount an air compressor too?
No , because I am going to run them with the stock shocks. I think once I get the ride I am looking for , there will be no reason to adjust them after that. I am hoping to get a little firmer ride with the air shocks mounted with the stock shocks !

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Here it is- all shocks mounted, aired-up, and took it for a quick ride. 80psi in fronts, 90psi in rears. Very happy with results so far. The rears didn't make as dramatic a ride difference as the fronts, but there is no more sharpness to the ride at all now over small bumps- even with the Sedona Rip-Saw RT's at 9psi. All four corners are isolated with a fill valve for each corner- I still haven't receive all my parts to rig the whole system yet. The pic's with the tape measure are absolute max ground clearance- wouldn't ride it that way for any distance, but it's there if you need it. Ended up using 7/16" X 5.5" bolts top and bottom. Had to bore the bushings and spacers I previously made to fit the larger diameter bolts, but otherwise, no cutting, grinding, or welding was needed to install the rears. I dropped the air pressure to 20psi just to see what it looked like- HA! A slammed Pioneer 500. I should've taken it for a ride. :cool:
View attachment 29997 View attachment 29998 View attachment 29999 View attachment 30000 View attachment 30003 View attachment 30004

Nice, Cant wait for some more pictures and a ride video at some point.

I must have missed it but are you running the same shocks on the rear?

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Put the 'cross-over' valve in between one leg of the the existing 'tee' fill valve and one shock, either side, it doesn't matter. You'll need a Hoke [HASHTAG]#1826F2B[/HASHTAG] panel mount valve or equivalent, and 2 of Parker #W68PLP-2-2 (that fits the Hoke valve) I found it all on ebay. So- when you add, or release air, you have to have the valve open, so both shocks have the same air pressure, and then close it isolate them for normal riding. The Hoke valve is a 'toggle' so you just flip it up to open, and flip it down to close, is very compact, and rated for 200psi.

Cool, thanks.

I would like to see your plumbing layout and how you mounted the hoke..are you going to have one for the front and one for the rear?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Cool, thanks.

I would like to see your plumbing layout and how you mounted the hoke..are you going to have one for the front and one for the rear?
I'll actually be using 6 of the Hoke valves and and on-board air compressor so that I can control each corner individually, side to side, front to back etc, and have an external air chuck for tires. Right now, I just have all the air lines zip tied up so I can test ride until I get the remainder of my fittings. Finding space on the dash is going to be interesting.

bikeman

bikeman

Nov 23, 2016
smithfield utah
Ownership

1. 500
Nice, Cant wait for some more pictures and a ride video at some point.

I must have missed it but are you running the same shocks on the rear?
jwb: this mod is going to be perfect you need that ground clearance when crawling over rocks then lower it when you have cleared it it is unbelievable that it was essientially a drop in on the rear its great that the suspension travel does not appear to cause issues with the cvjoints. seeing how there is no cutting or welding involved that might effect warranty i will be ordering the gabriels directly. i am going to put 27 in tires on as soon as i can free up the finances. this combo should make this machine great on rocky trails. thanks for sharing this. never would have thought that a car air shock would work perfectly. i was looking into using a small bottle of nitrogen as the air supply since it doesnt transfer heat and doesnt leak out like air does. a 20pd bottle is still around 2 feet long dont know if a composite bottle for air guns would be allowed to put nitrogen in or not. just an idea i was toying with.

Reactions: rocmar
advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
jwb: this mod is going to be perfect you need that ground clearance when crawling over rocks then lower it when you have cleared it it is unbelievable that it was essientially a drop in on the rear its great that the suspension travel does not appear to cause issues with the cvjoints. seeing how there is no cutting or welding involved that might effect warranty i will be ordering the gabriels directly. i am going to put 27 in tires on as soon as i can free up the finances. this combo should make this machine great on rocky trails. thanks for sharing this. never would have thought that a car air shock would work perfectly. i was looking into using a small bottle of nitrogen as the air supply since it doesnt transfer heat and doesnt leak out like air does. a 20pd bottle is still around 2 feet long dont know if a composite bottle for air guns would be allowed to put nitrogen in or not. just an idea i was toying with.

Glad to share. I've been toying with the idea of a small scuba tank as an air supply- one fill would pressure up the shocks from empty dozens of times. I don't know how expensive the regulator(s) would be. My little compressor was like $60 (Vlair 92C)

Don't get caught up in the nitrogen hysteria- the air we breath is already almost 80% nitrogen, and only has about a 2% difference in expansion vs. air when heated. Don't see the need for the extra expense... on our machines anyways.

Oh ya, the tires- I have 26x10's on the front of mine, and they are very close to touching the frame when fully turned, so you might have to do the frame mod, or, apparently 27x9's will fit with no clearance issues- depending on tire style I'm sure. Take a look at atv-tv.com and the P500 reviews- he talks about tires too.

Anndddd..... when you pump up the shocks to full extension, it makes the machine narrower- at least with mine because of the bigger tires and wheel off-set make the machine wider than stock.

And maybe if we all pray real hard, someone will come up with a locker for our front differential, and our lives will be complete......;)

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I'll actually be using 6 of the Hoke valves and and on-board air compressor so that I can control each corner individually, side to side, front to back etc, and have an external air chuck for tires. Right now, I just have all the air lines zip tied up so I can test ride until I get the remainder of my fittings. Finding space on the dash is going to be interesting.

Interested in how you make out with this JWB. Thanks for sharing what you've done so far. In respect to air pressure control, wouldn't you want each corner to stand alone? Meaning tie each respective pair of shocks at each corner together, so each set are stand alone. I think to have an onboard compressor is a good idea, I pack one for tires and could see having some spare hose and connectors for infield repairs (pending how/where one rides) would be prudent.
Thanks again.

j

B

Brooks

Mar 20, 2016
Smiths
JWB Awesome idea.

I installed my front Sunday.

Didn't get to ride it untill today. It's night and day difference. No more bottoming out and a smooth ride.

I ordered the parts today to do the rear and rig up some vavles.

Reactions: Chooglin
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Interested in how you make out with this JWB. Thanks for sharing what you've done so far. In respect to air pressure control, wouldn't you want each corner to stand alone? Meaning tie each respective pair of shocks at each corner together, so each set are stand alone. I think to have an onboard compressor is a good idea, I pack one for tires and could see having some spare hose and connectors for infield repairs (pending how/where one rides) would be prudent.
Thanks again.

j
Yes, each corner will stand alone in pairs, unless I open the valves for crossover. I started on the rest of the system today. I removed the cup-holder on the driver side and made a filler plate that I can mount my control valves in. I'll post pic's later.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
JWB Awesome idea.

I installed my front Sunday.

Didn't get to ride it untill today. It's night and day difference. No more bottoming out and a smooth ride.

I ordered the parts today to do the rear and rig up some vavles.
The ride is amazing isn't it?! Did you do the doubles in the front?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone wants to use ARB on board compressors with small 1 gallon tank may be? I have it on my 4runner and it works great

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

B

Brooks

Mar 20, 2016
Smiths
The ride is amazing isn't it?! Did you do the doubles in the front?
Yes I did doubles in the front.

The ride is night and day different. I can hit stuff at speeds I don't feel comfortable at and never bottom the front out. Now I'm bottoming the rear out.

I picked up most of the hardware for a vavle body today. The rear shock should be in on Friday.

I can't wait to install them

Reactions: Montecresto
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Yes I did doubles in the front.

The ride is night and day different. I can hit stuff at speeds I don't feel comfortable at and never bottom the front out. Now I'm bottoming the rear out.

I picked up most of the hardware for a vavle body today. The rear shock should be in on Friday.

I can't wait to install them
It's an even bigger difference when you let the fronts see each other- I hope these shocks will live for a long time, that would be icing on the cake!.

advertisement